British Speedway Forum
stratton

The Best Brits.

As far as I recall yes he did, I used to attend the Saturday training schools in the winter and I'm sure I remember seeing him in the pits. I was only 7/8/9y/o but can remember a few names from that training school who went on to have decent careers even if not exactly hitting the heady heights on an individual basis, Alan Wilkinson, Ken Eyre, Taffy Owen, Eric Broadbelt, Paul Tyrer, Duncan Meridith, Geoff Pusey. There were plenty of others who benefited from those cold wet Saturdays.

One bloke i really liked was Paul Tyrer exciting rider those guys you mentioned all went on and had nice careers fair play.WIlko a legend and even in later years the 80s as a rookie Eccles showed ability a great club always has been always will the man Utd of speedway in my view.

One bloke i really liked was Paul Tyrer exciting rider those guys you mentioned all went on and had nice careers fair play.WIlko a legend and even in later years the 80s as a rookie Eccles showed ability a great club always has been always will the man Utd of speedway in my view.

Good shout Sidney, you have a great memory, much better than my own just picturing Declan Eccles in the 2nd halfs riding with grey overalls flapping about, not even sure if he had leathers, used to be head down flat out all the time. . Glen Hornby was another out of the training school, went to Middlesborough I think. Andy Smith of course has been mentioned in the thread, Daz Sumner too.

Might have missed it but has Joe Screen had a mention?

Really has evoked some good memories this thread, Ian Turner from Kings Lynn, great little rider, Tony Davey another diminutive flyer on his day. Arnie Haley, has to be one of the lightest riders ever, there was nothing to him.

Ok I'll stop rambling.

Good shout Sidney, you have a great memory, much better than my own just picturing Declan Eccles in the 2nd halfs riding with grey overalls flapping about, not even sure if he had leathers, used to be head down flat out all the time. . Glen Hornby was another out of the training school, went to Middlesborough I think. Andy Smith of course has been mentioned in the thread, Daz Sumner too.

Might have missed it but has Joe Screen had a mention?

Really has evoked some good memories this thread, Ian Turner from Kings Lynn, great little rider, Tony Davey another diminutive flyer on his day. Arnie Haley, has to be one of the lightest riders ever, there was nothing to him.

Ok I'll stop rambling.

Na not rambling NW, Bernie Collier loved that club he was not quite up to the level but the aces always used to give the young uns a go,Smith well he was exciting at Hyde rd really exciting went on did great Scarisbrick ok no world beater but he did pretty well considering his inexperience.

Surprised nobody has mention Ken Eyre.

He was in the Dent era he come through the ranks i can always remember Eyre ,Hiftle unsung heroes great team members important like at Swindon Hitch and Keen.

He was in the Dent era he come through the ranks i can always remember Eyre ,Hiftle unsung heroes great team members important like at Swindon Hitch and Keen.

I liked Ken's style. He was a very tidy Rider.

I liked Ken's style. He was a very tidy Rider.

I did mention him up above WK, he was a great club servant to Belle Vue, he hasn't really changed much, saw him last year at a grasstrack with PC, really nice fella. Orange leathers is one thing I remember about Ken, he always used to give the crowd a wave, he just seemed to love being part of it all. Mike Hiftle wore blue, bit darker than Nigel Boococks.

Sidney, just when I think I've stopped recalling riders you throw a couple more into the mix, Martin Scarisbrick, there were high hopes for him and he seemed to be fulfilling his potential but then faded away, not sure if it was due to injury though...

Not from the training school but Carl Blackbird was destined for big things but again it never quite materialised, didn't his brother have a go too. We had Dave Hemus at Hyde Rd for a year or 2, red leathers, good gater.

This link is to a picture of what was near enough my favourite time of watching the Aces, http://www.flickr.com/photos/41645839@N00/2712944680/in/photostream/

Jim Brett was a puzzler for me saw him ride in the NL i really thought he had potential.Never quite did it for the Vue Kristian Praestbro was another he went on and did very well at Cradley. I loved the days of mainly having the same reserves riding all year valued members of the team riders the fans could identify with.

Les Collins??

Yes. Blrc winner in 80, inter continental champ and world number 2 in 82, I definitely rank him ahead of cox. Do you dissgree?

Yes. Blrc winner in 80, inter continental champ and world number 2 in 82, I definitely rank him ahead of cox. Do you dissgree?

No - I agree with you. I thought he was a very good Rider.

Was talking to Ken Eyre at a Long Eaton Reunion last year. He is a really nice bloke who obviously loves Speedway.

Jim Brett was a puzzler for me saw him ride in the NL i really thought he had potential.Never quite did it for the Vue Kristian Praestbro was another he went on and did very well at Cradley. I loved the days of mainly having the same reserves riding all year valued members of the team riders the fans could identify with.

I loved the days when speedway was a 'proper' club sport and we had basically the same riders season-on-season. I think the sport has lost its way but, before any one asks me, I can no longer be bothered to provide answers to possible ways to solving things and to point out/intimate where "it has all gone wrong." I think the majority of BSF members know the answers already.

Seen:

Craven

N Boocock

Brett

Mountford

Ray Wilson

Peter Collins

L Collins

Carter

Lee

Betts

Not from the training school but Carl Blackbird was destined for big things but again it never quite materialised, didn't his brother have a go too.

Two of his Brothers had a go, Mark & Paul the twins, and I think given half a chance his sister would of had a go too....

Not sure about Eyre,but i liked Ken McKinlay.Think they might have had a common taste in bobble hats.Jimmy McMillan was another favourite and having met him he is also a nice guy.Dougie + Willie Templeton.Didn't see them much apart from in the Speedway Star,but they looked tough as old boots.And George Hunter as well as Brian Collins were always good to watch

Would have loved to have seen Tommy Miller and Brian Crutcher.Both seemed from records as if they were going to the top and then never fulfilled the early potential

Not sure about Eyre,but i liked Ken McKinlay.Think they might have had a common taste in bobble hats.Jimmy McMillan was another favourite and having met him he is also a nice guy.Dougie + Willie Templeton.Didn't see them much apart from in the Speedway Star,but they looked tough as old boots.And George Hunter as well as Brian Collins were always good to watch

Would have loved to have seen Tommy Miller and Brian Crutcher.Both seemed from records as if they were going to the top and then never fulfilled the early potential

They did. :t:

Jimmy Mac, I believe, also favoured that type of headgear. :t:

Edited by The White Knight