British Speedway Forum
baz brush

Coventry Stadium Sold

there is no point trying to stop the development, all it does is burn valuable time looking for a new location.

and that's my biggest concern, i cant see anywhere that would accept a new stadium.

the three years is i suspect as long as you go quietly, thats why there is such a positive spin coming out of Brandon.

i know to build a track/stadium wouldnt take long but the issue would be three years is nothing to find a plot of land.

as an ex binley woods resident and someone who lived on the rugby road, i know what resistance there will be, but ultimately will fail.

the big question that needs answering this summer is the new location.

if the stox are moving too then that narrows down the options significantly, because they make a massive amount of noise, and then the dogs moving too, means the plot of land needs to be even bigger.

having lived in the area all my life i cannot see where it would go and be accepted by locals.

it dosnt have to be Cov area it could be Rugby or any of the surrounding area with in reason Bees fans come from a large area not all from coventry

are we not?

so already the expectations are being downgraded.

belle vue is hardly a massive development, what are we going to get then

a wooden shed

and a track shop on tables?

I doubt it, but it'd be better than nowt. You could do the reverse of your near neighbours and get the track right and worry about the rest later.

• Like 1

it dosnt have to be Cov area it could be Rugby or any of the surrounding area with in reason Bees fans come from a large area not all from coventry

do you really think the metropilos of rugby will agree?

the motorsport site is as far away from rugby as they can make it!

all those nice new houses in cawston grange and the votes for the next election, just wont happen.

east of rugby too difficult to get too, not great road links between coventry and rugby

i know i appear to be a lone voice of insanity on here but if its so easy to find sites why has it taken cradley do long? and by comparison coventry is posh compared to cradley....... sorry couldn't resit!

Near Junction 2? If so, excellent spot.

It is! It's brilliant for access too, but then it's a big site so also ideal for a housing redevelopment :neutral: sigh

i know i appear to be a lone voice of insanity on here but if its so easy to find sites why has it taken cradley do long? and by comparison coventry is posh compared to cradley....... sorry couldn't resit!

Can't be that posh if a prime site is sold off for a million quid. :P

• Like 2

It is! It's brilliant for access too, but then it's a big site so also ideal for a housing redevelopment :neutral: sigh

But brown belt and already has an adjacent business park so housing unlikely. Would need some serious money to clean up before housing is built. Same council as Brandon, could be part of any deal to build their.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

But brown belt and already has an adjacent business park so housing unlikely. Would need some serious money to clean up before housing is built. Same council as Brandon, could be part of any deal to build their.

Just a thought.

Oh, I understand what you are saying. I'm just not feeling very optimistic about it all :(

• Like 1

Why do people think the dogs are going back in?!

Have a look at the greyhound section of www.racingpost.com

It's taken just a few days for it to become clear that it was only the previous greyhound promoter Harry Findlay who wanted to bale out in a hurry as soon as he had no hope of any lease extension beyond the rest of the current deal.

But the general management of the stadium as well as the greyhound owners/trainers are keen to resume staging that sport as soon as possible, maybe as soon as this Friday, having received new financial backing that appears to cover Findlay's swift exit..

The only thing stopping this quick resumption is that the Greyhound Board of Great Britain's licencing procedures aren't designed to cope with a licenced-promoter suddenly wanting out while the stadium staff not only want to stay in but are also confident they can fund any financial guarantee removed by that departing licence-holder ... overall, it appears the dog racing will resume as soon as the GBGB give any new licences the all-clear.

The nearest recent example I can recall of something similar happening in speedway (and it led to a change in the rulebook) was Tim Stone's sudden death in May 2008 as Newport's sole promoter ... while plenty of Wasps fans would've willingly volunteered to help their club see out the season in such tragic circumstances, Newport's fixtures had to come to a halt because important matters (like the club's ownership and insurance liability) were trapped in the racking-up of Tim's finances (and made even more complicated because he hadn't left a will) so the SCB & BSPA couldn't quickly process new people's paperwork.

That led to the current rule that every British speedway club must have a minimum of 2 co-promoters (and a maximum of 3) to reduce the risk of one person's death grinding a whole club to a halt.

Thankfully, we're not dealing with a death in Harry Findlay's case at Coventry dogs but we are still dealing with an unexpected departure of a licenced-promoter and the GBGB won't simply rush through new paperwork without making that sport's usual checks of any prospective new licence-holders.

Have a look at the greyhound section of www.racingpost.com

It's taken just a few days for it to become clear that it was only the previous greyhound promoter Harry Findlay who wanted to bale out in a hurry as soon as he had no hope of any lease extension beyond the rest of the current deal.

But the general management of the stadium as well as the greyhound owners/trainers are keen to resume staging that sport as soon as possible, maybe as soon as this Friday, having received new financial backing that appears to cover Findlay's swift exit..

The only thing stopping this quick resumption is that the Greyhound Board of Great Britain's licencing procedures aren't designed to cope with a licenced-promoter suddenly wanting out while the stadium staff not only want to stay in but are also confident they can fund any financial guarantee removed by that departing licence-holder ... overall, it appears the dog racing will resume as soon as the GBGB give any new licences the all-clear.

The nearest recent example I can recall of something similar happening in speedway (and it led to a change in the rulebook) was Tim Stone's sudden death in May 2008 as Newport's sole promoter ... while plenty of Wasps fans would've willingly volunteered to help their club see out the season in such tragic circumstances, Newport's fixtures had to come to a halt because important matters (like the club's ownership and insurance liability) were trapped in the racking-up of Tim's finances (and made even more complicated because he hadn't left a will) so the SCB & BSPA couldn't quickly process new people's paperwork.

That led to the current rule that every British speedway club must have a minimum of 2 co-promoters (and a maximum of 3) to reduce the risk of one person's death grinding a whole club to a halt.

Thankfully, we're not dealing with a death in Harry Findlay's case at Coventry dogs but we are still dealing with an unexpected departure of a licenced-promoter and the GBGB won't simply rush through new paperwork without making that sport's usual checks of any prospective new licence-holders.

Pity it didn't take a long time to sort out, as perhaps a different promoter may have been installed with a different eventual outcome!

Don`t know if this has been mentioned previously but Mayor Gillias is also the new chairman of the Speedway control bureau.

I don't think it has RR. Interesting!! Thanks for that info :t:

Don`t know if this has been mentioned previously but Mayor Gillias is also the new chairman of the Speedway control bureau.

Just checked, (sorry to doubt it), but yes, he is! Well done RR, it has to help, surely! Someone said earlier that although he is an ex-rider he would not be interested in helping. Sort of quashes that remark, I am certain!

• Like 1

do you really think the metropilos of rugby will agree?

the motorsport site is as far away from rugby as they can make it!

all those nice new houses in cawston grange and the votes for the next election, just wont happen.

east of rugby too difficult to get too, not great road links between coventry and rugby

cawston grange ain't Rugby I live in Hillmorton not posh I presume we are eastern side what's wrong with the A5/M6/A45 rugby well served with the road network

I hope that Coventry can find a new site no speedway supporter wants to see another club close down, if Speedway is to survive we need the Local derbies in particular, plus we enjoy them sometimes!

• Like 1

cawston grange ain't Rugby I live in Hillmorton not posh I presume we are eastern side what's wrong with the A5/M6/A45 rugby well served with the road network

surely then it becomes rugby speedway and not coventry, sorry that matters to me!