British Speedway Forum
thebaron

Speedway Star: Hard Reading

I love Speedway Star always have always will; but whether its my age or more likely my eyesight? find it increasingly hard to read !. Is it just me or is the text font on the pages just too darn small today? and the light reflecting off the each and every glossy page makes it even harder to read.

I know the suggestion will be; take the web copy instead and enlarge it on screen. But I want my Speedway Star as it was meant to be - in my hand.

I flick through 70-80's copies and long for those days; uncluttered iconic photo front cover shot, non glossy pages that was Speedway Star. I reckon it would be cheaper to produce if they dispensed with the need for every page to be glossy.

Glossy cover; and centre pages that would do me and a return to a more retro feel. As for front covers: let the picture tell the story and leave the banners and corny headlines. A great speedway photo is a great speedway photo and sells the magazine without the need for text scattered all over the photo.

Am I alone here?. Go on tell me I am.

Edited by the outsider
  • Like 4

I feel it's old fashioned, cluttered and also hard to read. Some of the content is in very thin articles down the side of pages and then a huge headline on each page. I'm not a fan of it at all, only buy the first big issue for all the predictions as it's a good read.

Really looking forward for the inside speedway magazine which will be on digital format. The magazines were very good and stylish, but they we not frequent enough!

I feel it's old fashioned, cluttered and also hard to read. Some of the content is in very thin articles down the side of pages and then a huge headline on each page. I'm not a fan of it at all, only buy the first big issue for all the predictions as it's a good read.

Really looking forward for the inside speedway magazine which will be on digital format. The magazines were very good and stylish, but they we not frequent enough!

Isn't it amazing - I didn't rate 'Inside Speedway' at all. It takes all sorts doesn't it? :) :)

Isn't it amazing - I didn't rate 'Inside Speedway' at all. It takes all sorts doesn't it? :) :)

Opinions make a forum!

• Like 1

Opinions make a forum!

Exactly Ommer UM. :t:

Mods. Can we start a new section ........ "Things wrong with Speedway Star"

• Like 2

I've not been thrilled with it at all since I re subscribed on iPad. Agree about the cluttered front cover. Surely one single iconic action shot would do the trick.. what was that full cover Alun Rossiter pic all about?! And a re design would be welcome, it's looking very old fashioned, and many long features only of marginal interest.

Opinions make a forum!

But boring people to death with repititive threads also makes a very dull forum. ;)

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

I've not been thrilled with it at all since I re subscribed on iPad. Agree about the cluttered front cover. Surely one single iconic action shot would do the trick.. what was that full cover Alun Rossiter pic all about?! And a re design would be welcome, it's looking very old fashioned, and many long features only of marginal interest.

The long features are the best part of the magazine. They are about speedway too, so not too sure how they can be classed as 'marginal interest'.

Why do they write so small these days! :lol:

I look forward to S.S. but if I have a single axe to grind it is that National League speedway pages are shoved to the back.

But, they do have interesting interviews with young riders, lovely pieces on past riders and great photographs and offer us insights into the sport that we might not otherwise have.

On line articles and forums and news are great, but us geezers like to read a magazine in peace, but how long that can continue is worrying.

It does (or did) appear in Tesco's and if this can tempt the odd spectator back who has lapsed from watching live sport, then that has to be good news doesn't it?

The corny banners on the front cover are truly awful, not even corny half the time just bloomin awful...a few small snippets on the front cover to give a taste of what is inside is all that's needed

I not sure what this post is knocking the Speedway Star as it only news magazine out there. Ok, most of the news is "old hat" can be found on the internet but it is (to me) still essential reading. I have EVERY copy of the Star since it appeared in 1952 and it is interesting to see its development from 16 pages only with often repeated photographs (!) through to today's version. I do agree that its glossy pages can be a pain to read (it could be due to my dodgy eyesight) and the corny headlines are "cheesy" and won't probably don't attract any extra readers. I quite like the layout design although the choice of the colour of the font against the background could be better on occasions - probably caused by the glossy pages.

I hope that the "paper" version does not get replaced solely by the on line version fro a long time - much prefer paper and putting up with twisting the pages so I can read them !

It's still an excellent publication - long live the Star !

We could always unclutter page three with topless start tart of the week :wink:

• Like 5