British Speedway Forum
Badge

Sounds Like Bad News For West Row

Sounds like Mr Coventry is currently 'shell shocked' and who can blame him. When the dust settles, I would hope that he fights on. This is a ridiculous situation which does need to be fought. But not at the cost of £2m! I wonder where Mr Coventry get's that from? I wonder what the owners of the property's real agenda is? I imagine compensation beyond £20K?

Sounds like Mr Coventry is currently 'shell shocked' and who can blame him. When the dust settles, I would hope that he fights on. This is a ridiculous situation which does need to be fought. But not at the cost of £2m! I wonder where Mr Coventry get's that from? I wonder what the owners of the property's real agenda is? I imagine compensation beyond £20K?

They want 500k compensation. The 20k compensation was to the stadium owners.

I find it unbelievable that there are noise issues at Mildenhall,its in the middle of nowhere!Build a new for those people complaining 2 miles away.

It looks like the NIMBY's also failed to notice the huge Airbase just down the road!

The noise from the aircraft totally drowns out any Speedway noise when one flies over the stadium!

I didn't appreciate a forklift had been driven into the heating oil tank which caused a fire and destroyed the NIMBY's home - Karma?

karma? yes and I hope these nimbys get more of it. dave Coventry needs local support now and lots of it

They want 500k compensation. The 20k compensation was to the stadium owners.

Yes, just re-read the article, the couple paid the £20k to the motorsport operators. It is all very confusing I have to say.

Will the residents (are they even residents if the house burned down?) then sue the RAF, the USAAF and the motocross track if they are successful against Mildenhall stadium?

Because they will have no trouble winning that case too if this is the precedent!

This judgement seems to me a clear cut case of judges being completely, utterly out of touch with the real world, something that has worried me for some years.

I have been saying for years and have probably done so on this forum that all motorsports need to band together and take a case like this to court but to establish the right to make some noise.

It would cost a fortune but the body of people who want to make a noise in pursuit of entertainment is vast and would be an extremely powerful lobby if they worked together. If you could get pilots, gun owners, model car and plane owners and everybody else whose hobby is noisy on board as well no government could afford to ignore them. All these people have various authorities running their sports, it would take a huge effort but I can see no reason why it couldn't happen if the will was there.

dogs make a noise too,,, folk like this really start to warm my bodily fluids,,,

its a bit like some really stuck up pratts that bought a cottage by an over 400 year old pub in the village nearby and moan about people drinking there,,, 'what, in a ffffing pub',,,

anyway, next time I'am down Mildenhall way, al take my extremely noisy dog, it does'nt take long for her to p!ss people off,,, lol

I find it unbelievable that there are noise issues at Mildenhall,its in the middle of nowhere!Build a new for those people complaining 2 miles away.

It is also alongside a busy US airbase with bloody big and noisy bombers. FFS.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

I am afraid that is the way people are today. You can have noise as long as it is 20 miles from anyone living or working near the source.

They just do not live in a real would. You get the yuppy types, who move into the counrty and then complain about the noise and smell from the farms.

A poor old chap living close to us had kept chickens on his land for over 50 years. The farmer who owned the land behind his, sold it off at a price of over £2 million to a mate of his who was funnily enough a builder. They build a large housing estae behind him.

The first thing the new residents did was complain about all the noise his chickens and cockerals made. Even though he won umpteem first prize awards with his birds. The poltry breaders assotiation fought his case and they, for all thier hard work lost the case, and he was made to get rid of all he had worked for for so many years.

Soory to say within a couple of years he died, maybe through the loss of his hobby and the love of keeping his poltry.

We live in a world where all people seem to do is complain about anything that doesn't suit thier way of life.

Big house fast car or a housing estate of like wise people who are out just to spoil everyones fun.

What chance do we speedway fans stand against a bunch of morons like this. Who live 2 miles away from a speedway stadium, with huge American bomber taking off and landing. When all thier tiny little minds can think about is, us the speedway fand enjoying our sport. Perhaps we will have to end up with the speedway riders using electric speedway bikes just to cut down on the noise. But then again they would still find something else to moan about.

Like all the noise of the speedway fans arriving and leaving in thier cars.

What a sad old world we live in.

• Like 1

Some years ago I was at the track the day the noise tests were being done at the stadium by the local council and environment agency.

The people spent a long time getting all the equiptment set up in difference places, and the bikes were starting to warm up when one of the USAF planes came over the stadium, and they do come over VERY low.

Within 10 mins the guys from the Environment Agency were packing up and confirmed there was no problem with the noise of the bikes.

2 reasons were given:

1 - you couldnt hear 14 bikes at all at the point when the plane came over.

2 - the sound of the plane was almost off the scale.

Therefore as the track was on the flight path of one of the runways at RAF Mildenhall (although the USAF are there, and Lakenheath and Feltwell they are RAF bases, not USAF bases), the council and the agency found there was no issue with the bikes.

Wonder why that hasnt come up, unless things have changed.

Unreal situation to be in.Still can't believe the way the high court has ruled.Hope they can get the situation sorted out

if people don't have a problem with the US airbase,,, maybe they are American's, or even maybe have an interest in the going's on there, am sure there is lots of people around the world that might want to know what goes on, in a forces air base,,, and living by one would suggest that you could have much to tell,,, a dunno

if people don't have a problem with the US airbase,,, maybe they are American's, or even maybe have an interest in the going's on there, am sure there is lots of people around the world that might want to know what goes on, in a forces air base,,, and living by one would suggest that you could have much to tell,,, a dunno

It's likely that many people living near the base don't complain about noise because they work as civilian employees there. :icon_smile_clown:

Badge posted this yesterday and I have just read the BBC article. I am astonished this has been won on appeal! You do wonder if the defence was weak, due to Mr Coventry's legal team thinking it had no chance of success due to winning the previous hearing. I wonder also, whether the judges were aware of all the facts when they made their judgement? Also, the entitlement to the £20k compensation, seems to be bouncing between the couple and Mr Coventry. I suppose after the latest hearing, the couple are expecting it back. God knows what the couple (legal representatives) told the court. Bizarre!