British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pete cc

Who's Got The Best Reserve?

Still surprised that Swindon didn't see it coming as they would've picked someone else higher in the 2nd draft surely?.

Can't see how they could have predicted the situation. Draft picks were months before Sheffield saviour.

Not really. He negotiated a deal that would benefit his career aspirations. Unfortunately Sheffield's future was very uncertain at the time of draft picks. Unforeseen and unfortunate clash of race nights - thought the idea was to give the youngsters support.

So he reneged on the deal.

It's very simple.

You sign a contract that states you are willing to ride for the EL team that drafts you. He did that.

Months after that he then goes and signs for Sheffield, KNOWING he is already committed to a team on Thursday nights. He has reneged on his deal, no ifs, buts, whys etc. Its pretty simple.

The whole system would very quickly fall apart if all the riders did that. I'm quite sure other riders will have been choosing the PL teams to negotiate with whose fixtures don't take place on the same night as a team they have already signed with.

• Like 2

But he didn't 'renege' on anything!! The opportunity to ride at his local PL Thursday track came up and he informed and discussed the opportunity with Swindon, who correctly allowed him to gain more experience and to ride for a track close to his home by signing for Sheffield.

He 'signed a contract that states you are willing to ride for the EL team that drafts you' - subject to discussions on any PL/NL fixture clashes. He did that.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

But he didn't 'renege' on anything!! The opportunity to ride at his local PL Thursday track came up and he informed and discussed the opportunity with Swindon, who correctly allowed him to gain more experience and to ride for a track close to his home by signing for Sheffield.

He 'signed a contract that states you are willing to ride for the EL team that drafts you' - subject to discussions on any PL/NL fixture clashes. He did that.

Is he riding for the team that drafted him?

No he isn't. End of discussion.

• Like 1

So you would be happy if Kyle Newman signed for Wednesday PL club (ok I don't actually think there are any but still...) or a Danish team so had to quit Poole then signed for another EL club replacing their weaker reserve?

"Skidder1 this decision has to be the correct one surely for the lad,i was disappointed i was looking forward to Josh riding for the Robins.But common sense has prevailed Rosco acted great in my opinion and as you said surely we need to help and support young lads like him good luck to Josh this year with the TIGERS.
  • Like 2

So you would be happy if Kyle Newman signed for Wednesday PL club (ok I don't actually think there are any but still...) or a Danish team so had to quit Poole then signed for another EL club replacing their weaker reserve?

Exactly!

If the draft system is to be given a chance then these loopholes (genuine in this case I believe but who knows what the future holds) need to be closed up from the very start.

• Like 2

"Skidder1 this decision has to be the correct one surely for the lad,i was disappointed i was looking forward to Josh riding for the Robins.But common sense has prevailed Rosco acted great in my opinion and as you said surely we need to help and support young lads like him good luck to Josh this year with the TIGERS.

Nobody is disputing it's the correct decision for the lad and Swindon acted professionally over it.

However, the lad has made the decision to back out of his draft placement so should not now be considered this year.

Loopholes such as this are the cause of so many of speedways problems.

• Like 2

Of course its the best decision for Bates and his career nobody is disputing that.

What will be wrong is if he goes back on the draft list this season and is taken by somebody else

Quite easy one this ...If it's best for the lad to ride for the tigers then fair enough but the moment he signs for another Elite league side then the whole Draft system is void .

The rule should be quite clear that Bates should have to sit out this years El .

• Like 2

Nobody is disputing it's the correct decision for the lad and Swindon acted professionally over it.

However, the lad has made the decision to back out of his draft placement so should not now be considered this year.

Loopholes such as this are the cause of so many of speedways problems.

You are correct about loopholes in the rules i don't agree with the reserve rule it has affected the likes of Birks/Auty but fingers crossed it works i hope so.

Of course its the best decision for Bates and his career nobody is disputing that.

What will be wrong is if he goes back on the draft list this season and is taken by somebody else

I cant see the reasoning either - unless its for some PC `fairness for all` thing.

If it was the A grade riders then i could see a little bit more logic as some are clearly `better` than others.

But the B grades are pretty much horses for courses.

It is clear he hasn't `reneged` (others word, most definitely not applicable IMHO) to try and sign for who he wants to so the notion that if you allow this it is opening up a can of worms for ALL graded riders to do it in future really doesn't hold any water to me.

I can see the logic that some are trying to present but when we are dealing with riders in the infancy (for most) of their careers there has to be a level of flexibility and sensibility without it being `abused` by some clubs.

But the B grades are pretty much horses for courses.

Not really Bates will be lot better than the kid Swindon have had to bring in and Bates will be a lot better than smart .

It's between a 3 and 5 point swing .

Amazing how Skidder has so much to say on Josh's situation as it seems talks have already taken place between him & another Elite lge club which happens to be wait for it the club Skidder supports.

Yes it's the right decision for Josh to ride for a Premier Lge down the road from him especially as he was clearly going to travel with Ashley Birks whilst on Robins duty until that fell through.

The main issue should be that it doesn't matter whether it's a foreign rider coming in on a dodgy average or a draft system there always seems to be a loophole some want to exploit.

Josh will get plenty of chances to guest in the Elite lge in 2014 which is fair enough but there is no way he should be allowed to join a team permanantly.

Not really Bates will be lot better than the kid Swindon have had to bring in and Bates will be a lot better than smart .

It's between a 3 and 5 point swing .

Neither have pulled up any trees at PL level so disagree.