British Speedway Forum

First Tony, so nearly messaged you about could you help with an article in Backtrack,so we are thinking along the same lines, thank you for the thought.

Ray,not going to shoot you down in flames, a very valid point,Kent Kings as they are called down the road at Central Park agreed not to use the name Sittingbourne as we use and have rights to the name Sittingbourne Speedway at Iwade. I use the name Iwade on this site as an old time supporter to show we are two different tracks within a very short distance. As Kent are in effect a sister track to Rye House promotional wise, they are always going to use contracted riders from both tracks, especially as Rye have a training school, so in that sense it is a problem. In an ideal world we would feed Kent with up and coming riders if we had a tie up with them. In the future if we survive at Iwade and Kent Kings are granted more than the 3 years left on their planning consent,they may well move up to the Premier League,then giving us a chance to return to the National League, that is my personal hope.

• Like 2

Enjoyed my one and only visit for a double header involving Buxton some years ago and was very impressed with the set up, good luck to you and I hope your troubles are sorted in the short term.

• Like 1

Oh yes, I remember speedway ! That's the sport that goes round in circles (or ovals) ! Unfortunately, it seems that nowadays these circles are ever decreasing. When speedway tracks are operating nobody takes a blind bit of notice, but as soon as a track is threatened with closure all these heads pop out of the sand and start panicking ! Where are all the riders, supporters and general speedway fans that used to grace our stadiums ? In these days of austerity it is increasingly difficult to raise the cash for fuel to drive to the track, let alone pay to get in. This is why Iwade speedway is the perfect track to visit. If you are a rider, the facilities are superb, the track is very well maintained, and the cost to ride is very reasonable. There is always ambulance cover at every session, and a very professional group of volunteers that are always at hand to help. If you are a spectator you are missing out on a great days spectating with good viewing of the track and pits, a café and toilets. Lets support Iwade speedway in every way that we can. Please turn up, show your support, dust off that old bike, join the club or volunteer. Lets stop talking and start doing, or this could be another piece of memorable history for our children to ask us about.

• Like 2

I really hope you carry on, I use to drive all the way from Devon to get some laps here some 20 odd years ago when I was starting out, thus is the bed and butter of English speedway

• Like 2

Oh yes, I remember speedway ! That's the sport that goes round in circles (or ovals) ! Unfortunately, it seems that nowadays these circles are ever decreasing. When speedway tracks are operating nobody takes a blind bit of notice, but as soon as a track is threatened with closure all these heads pop out of the sand and start panicking ! Where are all the riders, supporters and general speedway fans that used to grace our stadiums ? In these days of austerity it is increasingly difficult to raise the cash for fuel to drive to the track, let alone pay to get in. This is why Iwade speedway is the perfect track to visit. If you are a rider, the facilities are superb, the track is very well maintained, and the cost to ride is very reasonable. There is always ambulance cover at every session, and a very professional group of volunteers that are always at hand to help. If you are a spectator you are missing out on a great days spectating with good viewing of the track and pits, a café and toilets. Lets support Iwade speedway in every way that we can. Please turn up, show your support, dust off that old bike, join the club or volunteer. Lets stop talking and start doing, or this could be another piece of memorable history for our children to ask us about.

Very well posted and got to agree on all points, did not want to blow my own trumpet,but never a truer word spoken, thank you .

The best thing for Iwade, for the moment, to for everyone to think of it for what it is, a training track.

Look at Denmark and Poland, for example. Young riders can ride most days of the week.

What's the biggest problem for young lads in the UK, lack of track time.

What's available for track time?

Answer - Iwade

Where can you find a track that can run for a lot of days during the week and at least one day every weekend?

Answer - Iwade.

I fully appreciate the costs of training, and it's probably why a lot of riders don't practice anymore but if riders want to practice, check equipment etc then british speedway has the perfect place to do so.

Answer - Iwade.

It's not rocket science everyone.

The south east has the facilities, great facilities for british speedway so let's use it, or lose it!

• Like 1

Isn't Iwade pretty restricted to the times it can run?

The best thing for Iwade, for the moment, to for everyone to think of it for what it is, a training track.

Look at Denmark and Poland, for example. Young riders can ride most days of the week.

Answer - Iwade

Where can you find a track that can run for a lot of days during the week and at least one day every weekend?

Answer - Iwade.

I fully appreciate the costs of training, and it's probably why a lot of riders don't practice anymore but if riders want to practice, check equipment etc then british speedway has the perfect place to do so.

Answer - Iwade.

It's not rocket science everyone.

The south east has the facilities, great facilities for british speedway so let's use it, or lose it!

And Lydd Speedway, which is in the same county. I hope Iwade returns.

Hi Vince, not at all.

It has lots of times and days of the week it can run.

You maybe thinking of Central Park, home of the Kings. They are VERY restricted. 6.30-8.30pm on Mondays only (part from bank holidays)

No, for some reason I seemed to remember Iwade having trouble with a neighbour and restrictions being put in place but more than likely got it wrong.

Answer - Iwade

Answer - Iwade.

Answer - Iwade.

Only if you live in east Kent. Otherwise, it is right in the far corner of the country, that corner blocked off by London. It is much easier to get to Land's End from here than Iwade ... what is needed is a similar set-up in the Midlands, for example someone should put some money into relaying the Burton track.

Any news on Iwade? I thought they had a planning application set for 10th April?

Any news on Iwade? I thought they had a planning application set for 10th April?

Yes a statement from the club will be released in due course when details have been finalized.

• Like 1

As a child (80s) i have fond memories of every Sunday at Iwade watching my dad riding around and around, or more to the point i remember playing and messing about in the old turrets, haha.

Wish i could find some pics from those days, any 80s iwade websites etc? :-/

When iwades back on i may have to drive over to see how its changed in 30yrs since i last stood there!