British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

How Would You Improve Presentation?

No way could you play extreme music like drum and base at speedway, you can only enjoy that if you're either drugged up or drunk :o But no way could you play slow ballads either!

100% a good mic man is imperative and some clubs ought to weedle out some new ones who are clever,individual speedway fans who would do wonders for their clubs imo

Why the talk of people in the 50+ bracket wanting old fashioned presentation?

I'm over 50. If asked I'd probably say that my favourite band of all time is Rush. I remember at school I had a period when I was in to Emerson Lake and Palmer.

So do I think they should play ELP and Rush at speedway meetings? Hell no! The music needs to be current. Dj mixes or even just current chart music. Not rock or heavy metal. It's too intrusive.

When I attended in the 70s the music was current. Now, 40 years on, sometimes it feels like they play the same stuff, but it's now 40 years old.

If that includes, say, black music that some folk don't like, that's too bad. Who knows. You might get some more black people in if the music suits them.

Just keep it modern. It's so important. Even if it's only subconciously, it has an effect.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 2

Actually - some of the arguments regarding music is irrelevant. Speaker Systems at some Tracks are rubbish - and you can't hear it anyway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sad: :sad:

• Like 2

Actually - some of the arguments regarding music is irrelevant. Speaker Systems at some Tracks are rubbish - and you can't hear it anyway. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :sad: :sad:

Very true. Another issue that needs sorting out.

So the old people are telling us they only go for the racing. But are getting upset when we say to stop playing rubbish music (and some of that rubbish music BTW, is modern.)

As I posted above, its not about playing modern music. It's playing the right music. Someone said they don't like "black music" (and it can hardly be called racists when the black people have there own music awards - the MOBOs) and I agree, neither do I and I don't think most of that is suitable for a speedway meeting either.

As an example, this song is currently number 2 in the charts, people like it clearly. It's a terrible song to play at speedway. Where as this song was written in 1977 but it's a good speedway song IMO.

MODERN MUSIC IS NOT THE ANSWER, THE RIGHT MUSIC IS.

So the old people are telling us they only go for the racing. But are getting upset when we say to stop playing rubbish music (and some of that rubbish music BTW, is modern.)

As I posted above, its not about playing modern music. It's playing the right music.ne said they don't like "black music" (and it can hardly be called racists when the black people have there own music awards - the MOBOs) and I agree, neither do I and I don't think most of that is suitable for a speedway meeting either.

As an example,

is currently number 2 in the charts, people like it clearly. It's a terrible song to play at speedway. Where as
was written in 1977 but it's a good speedway song IMO.

MODERN MUSIC IS NOT THE ANSWER, THE RIGHT MUSIC IS.

Funny thing is i'd say the first song is more suitable.

• Like 1

Agreed, teenage kicks has no place on the terraces with modern teenager's. That song hasn't aged well in my opinion, if there's a different more modernised version maybe but not the original

It makes me want to sleep!

Agreed, teenage kicks has no place on the terraces with modern teenager's. That song hasn't aged well in my opinion, if there's a different more modernised version maybe but not the original

You're right. The coolest/biggest ban in the world right now in the eyes of teenagers have it wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNRD3_OO38

You're right. The coolest/biggest ban in the world right now in the eyes of teenagers have it wrong.

So play that version then. That's the Heart fm thing that they like to do - play original versions of songs that have been recently covered.

So play that version then. That's the Heart fm thing that they like to do - play original versions of songs that have been recently covered.

Or that then. I'm not saying it perfect but IMO some older stuff has a place. And some newer stuff doesn't. And playing a compilation CD on repeat is a massive no.

We have Mr Dick Barrie at Berwick so as far a the perfect presentation is concerned we are well covered.

• Like 2

It makes me want to sleep!

You're right. The coolest/biggest ban in the world right now in the eyes of teenagers have it wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVNRD3_OO38

To be fair, One Direction are only the coolest band in the world if you are a teenage girl. I'd say any "teeny bopper" music should be avoided at all costs, there are enough teenage girls trying to cop off with NL second strings as it is haha!

As for the original, it works, go with it. It's not hard to get it right with a bit of effort as we have been saying all along. Shame that effort seems to be lacking in most places.

• Like 1

We have Mr Dick Barrie at Berwick so as far a the perfect presentation is concerned we are well covered.

and thats the reason some of us hope that the speakers dont work! :P

• Like 2

Why the talk of people in the 50+ bracket wanting old fashioned presentation?

I'm over 50. If asked I'd probably say that my favourite band of all time is Rush. I remember at school I had a period when I was in to Emerson Lake and Palmer.

So do I think they should play ELP and Rush at speedway meetings? Hell no! The music needs to be current. Dj mixes or even just current chart music. Not rock or heavy metal. It's too intrusive.

When I attended in the 70s the music was current. Now, 40 years on, sometimes it feels like they play the same stuff, but it's now 40 years old.

If that includes, say, black music that some folk don't like, that's too bad. Who knows. You might get some more black people in if the music suits them.

Just keep it modern. It's so important. Even if it's only subconciously, it has an effect.

Stevie Gobes at Swindon plays a good variety of music. Must get those ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Wishbone Ash, etc., albums dusted off. I'm 58 but like the current stuff as well.

• Like 1

well,,, was good to hear a bit more upto date music at Newcastle last night,,, Ludvigs gotta new 'jingle', (more cooler with the younger generation)

heared a bit of Ferel Whalliams, (whoever he is),,, I think Roy dose a half decent job of the introducing, with some wise cracks and banter,,,

not too impressed with the 'fireworks' tho,,, don't think they would've looked any better in my garden, (n a live in a flat, lol),,, but as long as they put some warmth into the air, it all helps :-)