British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Swindon V Poole Elite Shield 1st Leg. 27/3/14

What is the matter with people who run Speedway in this country. Used to ride in the wet and now it's just the threat of a bit of moisture or a waterlogged track (depending on which website you read) and finito! Was really looking forward to it. Thinking about it, I went to P&P last week and it was fine-have we really had that much rain since then or was I dreaming that the Speedway season had started!

The problem is finance. Such is the outlay of meetings and late cancellation, Most promoters would rely on caution, so if there is any doubt, it be best to call off early rather then having to pay-out expenses when no monies are coming in. Such is the state of our sport.........

Well it's saved me a trip but a ridiculous call off so early. breezy and dry so far today and much less shower activity about than yesterday. In fact looking at rain today.co.uk it looks like most of the showers have missed Blunsdon. Very little of the wet stuff around for this afternoon.

I would rather had made the trip to be disappointed with a late call off than one that says it's off because it might rain.

Feeble call off.

The problem is finance. Such is the outlay of meetings and late cancellation, Most promoters would rely on caution, so if there is any doubt, it be best to call off early rather then having to pay-out expenses when no monies are coming in. Such is the state of our sport.........

What about the fans who've changed shifts or like my mate taken holiday to go tonight?.

You really can only take fans for granted for so long before they say enough is enough.

Not me being Mr Grumpy as I know a lot of fans who feel the same way.

Well it's saved me a trip but a ridiculous call off so early. breezy and dry so far today and much less shower activity about than yesterday. In fact looking at rain today.co.uk it looks like most of the showers have missed Blunsdon. Very little of the wet stuff around for this afternoon.

I would rather had made the trip to be disappointed with a late call off than one that says it's off because it might rain.

Feeble call off.

For once Steve I agree with you 100% & this isn't the first time Swindon have done this either.

If speedway promotors all agree on these sort of decisions then just tell the fans that's how it will be going forward rather then at least they know.

Very surprised this has been called off, only 0.5mm of rain predicted at around 3:00pm, apart than that it's dry and breezy..(sunshine at the moment too)..

There're nothing stopping you doing that if you really wanted to . The fact its called off early is to stop normal people from travelling.

But feel free to go if you would rather.......... :t:

Feeble call off.

Couldn't agree more. Looking out of my office window and the sun is shining!!! Obviously it could all change later but to call off it when we have had no rain all day is stupid.

There're nothing stopping you doing that if you really wanted to . The fact its called off early is to stop normal people from travelling.

But feel free to go if you would rather.......... :t:

As well as saving fans travelling it also saves riders from abroad flying in, but I can understand the frustration of fans who have altered other arrangements to be there tonight.

Not a fan of early call offs personally but can understand the reasons. It's one of those cases where if it's proved to be an incorrect call then the Club will be slated, and if proved correct then they'll get no thanks for it.

We'll see which way this one goes. IF it proves to be the correct call, then there is little point in sitting just waiting for the rain to come in.

• Like 1

As well as saving fans travelling it also saves riders from abroad flying in, but I can understand the frustration of fans who have altered other arrangements to be there tonight.

Poole riders are all in the country as rode last night & Swindon are at Lakeside tomorrow so guess riders are already here also.

It's all about opinion I guess really as some will be fed up & some will agree but can't see how travel expenses can be used as a reason this time.

To be fair to the Swindon promotion, there is showers forming now to the south east which may well sweep over the stadium later. I hope so anyway.

Feeble call off.

To be fair to the Swindon promotion, there is showers forming now to the south east which may well sweep over the stadium later. I hope so anyway.

To be fair you aren't very good at predicting the weather in a different part of the Country either.

• Like 1

Should have put the BSPA in charge of this meeting and called it off after opening the gates!!! No pleasing some people!

• Like 2

All this does is put people off going if there is the slightest doubt on weather. Had planned to go tonight and arranged visits beforehand.

Sorry Swindon, this is a big own goal. It is 2.55 and dry.

In Stratton three miles away from the stadium, it has absolutely pi...d down the right call i am gutted because i was really looking forward to tonight.

• Like 1