British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

The Draft

If I could really believe this was introduced to further youngsters in British Speedway I could see the point and even endorse it. Does however anybody seriously think that those in charge have done this for any other reason than to save money

If it does save money ...that means crowds not dropping because of the rule . I stick to what said before this rule should have been at PL level .

• Like 2

If it does save money ...that means crowds not dropping because of the rule . I stick to what said before this rule should have been at PL level .

The EL wanted it. Chris Louis said at the Ipswich Meet The Riders event that he doesn't like the way it was implemented.

I'm not quite sure of the PL stance, because they seem to making different decisions - I'm stunned that the new in-match R/R hasn't been adopted by the PL.

What a daft name for this developement bettered only by another way I have heard it described as "fast track" by and large they are a bunch of no hopers drafted in to save money.

It has never been denied that the primary reason was to save money. Massive losses were made by some clubs last year, Peterborough dropped out of the EL altogether, so it was clear that if top league racing was to continue in this country we couldn't just rumble on in the same old way.

No hopers? Depends what you mean by that. Agreed the majority won't graduate to become GP riders, but almost without exception the draft riders say they are learning a lot from the heatleaders in their EL teams. The knowledge they are gaining from the top riders and the experience of competing in the top league is something that they will take back to their PL and NL clubs and in turn that will have a drip down effect in starting to raise standards in those leagues.

• Like 5

If I could really believe this was introduced to further youngsters in British Speedway I could see the point and even endorse it. Does however anybody seriously think that those in charge have done this for any other reason than to save money

We all know its been done to save money but what a blessing in disguise then. Look after the future and they may well make it easier for you in the long run.

I stick to what said before this rule should have been at PL level .

The EL wanted it. Chris Louis said at the Ipswich Meet The Riders event that he doesn't like the way it was implemented.

I'm not quite sure of the PL stance, because they seem to making different decisions .

The PL had no interest in adopting the rule. That was confirmed by CVS.

• Like 2

We all know its been done to save money but what a blessing in disguise then. Look after the future and they may well make it easier for you in the long run.

The PL had no interest in adopting the rule. That was confirmed by CVS.

That may be correct, but you can bet your bottom dollar, as soon as any of the EL only Draft riders start scoring consistently well, then PL Teams will be looking to grab them, in which case a fee should be paid, otherwise its something for nowt..

• Like 2

Skidder 1 With regards threads 57 & 58 . The point was that with the first 20 on the list all unavailable to guest as the Elite Clubs are all riding on Good Friday how were the five or six missing going to be replaced. Sure there are 36 on the list but with 10 Pl Clubs and some NL also riding most viable options seem to be gone. There will be a few available towards the bottom of the list but there are five or six required and the standard drops considerably. I can see Eastbourne having possibly David Mason who used to mechanic for Bridger and Brandon Freemantle a club asset. This will be laughable against Ellis & Morley and whoever they finish up with should give Lakeside a 14-2 advantage from the guaranteed reserve points available. A 12 point handicap both home and away before a wheel is turned might well have an influence by the end of the year.

How can anyone outside the top 20 be a fair replacement for Blackbird and how come Panthers get preference when he signed for Eastbourne almost two months before Peterborough. I just hope he has a clause in his Panthers contract releasing him to honour existing commitments but I doubt it.

How can anyone outside the top 20 be a fair replacement for Blackbird and how come Panthers get preference when he signed for Eastbourne almost two months before Peterborough. I just hope he has a clause in his Panthers contract releasing him to honour existing commitments but I doubt it.

Already been stated by our promotion that Blackbird rides PL when their is a clash, they only let him ride for you the other week because the Panthers match was a challenge at Rye House, if it had been my choice he wouldn't have been released for that one.

This just needs a bit of cooperation and organisation between the EL and the PL fixture compilers, it's not rocket science just EL ride on some nights and PL on the others no clashes no grief, or PL late morning and early afternoon and EL in the evening if they both want to ride on BH.

"Peterborough dropped out of the EL altogether" - was that about our annual default losses?

Can't fathom why people can't see that this is the best thing to have happened to top flight speedway in years.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's reserves were always a couple of kids with nothing more than BL2 experience and the product didn't suffer then.

If anything, the riders down at reserve are better now than they were then on the whole, as they have a bit of NL and PL experience.

The days of a Lindback or a Pawlicki turning up at number 7 and whacking in 19 points are dead, and long may they remain so.

The new race format is excellent as well. More decent quality races featuring the heat leaders.

• Like 8

Can't fathom why people can't see that this is the best thing to have happened to top flight speedway in years.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's reserves were always a couple of kids with nothing more than BL2 experience and the product didn't suffer then.

If anything, the riders down at reserve are better now than they were then on the whole, as they have a bit of NL and PL experience.

The days of a Lindback or a Pawlicki turning up at number 7 and whacking in 19 points are dead, and long may they remain so.

The new race format is excellent as well. More decent quality races featuring the heat leaders.

Top post.

• Like 1

I'm not quite sure of the PL stance, because they seem to making different decisions

Several stumbling blocks for the Premier League regarding a reserve draft ...

Firstly, almost half of its clubs are much further north than any National League club (all of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle, Redcar & Workington compared to the National's northern outposts of Scunthorpe & Buxton) ... in fact, the Premier League has by far the widest scattering of its clubs on a map compared to either the Elite or National Leagues.

So most of the pool of potential riders for a PL reserve draft would've been based in the Midlands or further south (reflecting the opportunities for them to ride in the National League) and too many of them would then have been lumbered with lengthy travelling each week just to reach their Premier home meetings once they'd been drafted at that level.

Especially for the younger riders, often relying on parents or friends for driving to-&-from meetings, this could have put off eligible riders making themselves available for a Premier draft if they couldn't guarantee coping with being drafted by too distant a club (even if they were really enthusiastic about being involved at that level on the track).

Secondly, there's a wide enough range of abilities between the top and bottom of the 20 riders needed to fill both reserve places across an Elite League of 10 teams ... at the time when the whole reserve draft concept was being debated, it would've taken an even bigger set of riders, namely 24, to fill both reserve places across a Premier League of 12 teams but, after Peterborough's late inclusion at that level, it would actually have needed 26 riders for a Premier League reserve draft with all the extra risk that would've created of a bigger gap between the top and bottom abilities.

Finally, there are enough fixture clashes between Elite League and National League meetings despite over half the Elite teams using Mon/Wed/Thu as their home night while around half of the National teams use Fri/Sat/Sun for their home meetings ... if there had been a Premier reserve draft, it would be even more chaotic for clashes given over two-thirds of the Premier teams also use Fri/Sat/Sun for their home meetings !!

In any case, while they're certainly not rolling in money in the Premier League, it's also fair to say that level wasn't anywhere near as desperate as the Elite League for massive cost-cutting heading into this season ... that's why the Elite clubs still pressed on with their reserve draft despite the Premier clubs' plentiful doubts about a similar scheme being applied at their level.

• Like 1

Whoever was at Swindon on Thursday and saw Gustaffson nearly lapping Greenwood would say that opening statement of yours is just plain silly. Who wants to see 4 riders spaced out over a lap.

• Like 3

Maybe they gone to some of the meetings and seen 4 riders one on each corner in six of the races like I have the last two weeks .

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

Because it's not!! I just don't want to see NL riders tootle around at the back in races - and that's what I'm watching on sky!

• Like 2

Not sure if everyone is aware of this regulation re the draft list?:-

A new FT grade list will be amended according to current form and issued with BSPA Green sheets.

The updated FT Grade list will take effect 1st of month until the last day of the month.

Riders can be added or removed at each of the months FT grade list