British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Birmingham V Coventry 9/4/14

I think this is a good result for both teams.

Brum will be happy to get a win under their belts and I'm sure if you had asked Coventry fans this time last week if they'd like 5 points from two away fixtures, they'd have snapped your hand off.

Not at the two easiest tracks.

Coventry should have picked up all 4 points today and failing to do so is huge and It's critical, The race for the play-offs has taken a huge turn after todays results.

Coventry should have picked up all 4 points today and failing to do so is huge and It's critical, The race for the play-offs has taken a huge turn after todays results.

What are you on
  • Like 4

A fit Garrity wouldve got 9 easily, shouldnt have rode tonight. Howarth and Fisher rode well and Hans did his job in 13 and 15, Hansen is signed for his liking of Brandon so I dont expect too much from him away but 3 is poor. I expected Bomber to get around 8 so a couple of points short. Sarjeant has impressed me. On the whole im happy we rescued a point as after heat 9 I was expecting to lose convincingly. 5 away points from 2 away meetings is a good start considering we only got 5 away points in the whole of last season.

Brum will be happy to get a win under their belts and I'm sure if you had asked Coventry fans this time last week if they'd like 5 points from two away fixtures, they'd have snapped your hand off.

Absolutely!

• Like 1

True, or maybe Coventry aren't all as good as some expected..

I don't think that's true at all. The only reason most picked coventry for the top four was their reserve pairing, in particular Garrity, who it was assumed shou;ld outscore opposition reseves most/every meeting home and away. If as you'd expect coventry had outscored the Brum reservces 11-7 rather than vice-versa, they ould have had a six point win tonight.

the rest of the team was as expected. Hans is a solid number 1. Harris is an average-weak 2nd heat leader. Hansen is one of the worst third heat leaders in the league. A decent second string pairing, though without a rider likely to perform well when promoted to third heat leader spot. All the top five performed to that assessment tonight.

Had Garrity been fit, or been replaced by a guest, then Coventry would have almost certainly won.

• Like 1

As some have already said the key to Coventry is keeping Garrity fit as the lad always seems to be injured.

• Like 1

No deny it. It's a disappointing result and IMO it's 2 points dropped. But looking at the positives, Sarjeant had another good meeting, Howarth looked good too. I don't expect Garrity to score too many 0's or even under 6 very often thought so we'd normally be looking at a win here.

Howarth more than deserved heat 15 but Fish or Bomber would've been a better choice to go for the win.

However, good win for the Brummies. Wasn't expecting much but much better out of the gate and plenty more fight.

I don't know about being moved from the number 1 spot, the Superstar Barker needs deporting. If he scored as much as he messed around he would be at the very top of the sport.

I'm personally happy to come away with a point. If we can do that with Garrity riding with severe bruising (guest might have been better though) and Hans with a knee injury then positive about other meetings.

Harris was a worry but hoping hes just jet lagged.

• Like 2

Happy... over the bloody moon mate... :party: Some great racing tonight, both teams wanted it.

• Like 1

what planet are you on results like that will not matter come 5months down the line. Why dont you do everyone a favour and go back to the p.l section where pboro are haha.
  • Like 1

I don't think that's true at all. The only reason most picked coventry for the top four was their reserve pairing, in particular Garrity, who it was assumed shou;ld outscore opposition reseves most/every meeting home and away. If as you'd expect coventry had outscored the Brum reservces 11-7 rather than vice-versa, they ould have had a six point win tonight.

the rest of the team was as expected. Hans is a solid number 1. Harris is an average-weak 2nd heat leader. Hansen is one of the worst third heat leaders in the league. A decent second string pairing, though without a rider likely to perform well when promoted to third heat leader spot. All the top five performed to that assessment tonight.

Had Garrity been fit, or been replaced by a guest, then Coventry would have almost certainly won.

Should haves, could haves, would haves don't win you meetings. Garrity is the best reserve bar none. But keeping him away from injury will determine if the Bees are play off contenders or not.

Bomber should just give up Speedway, how the hell is he in Grand Prix complete joke

This kind of comment gets on my nerves especially when Bomber was close to retiring last year.

• Like 2

Bomber should just give up Speedway, how the hell is he in Grand Prix complete joke

Safe to say he won't be again, I love Bomber, but this downward spiral hasn't shown much sign of reversal for 2 years now.

Scornicki looked like a man on a mission.

Edited by david2905
  • Like 1

Pathetic thing to say. So should all riders around Bomber's level give up? What about Kennett, Barker, etc?

Bomber earned his place in the Grand Prix.

Not the end of the world for Coventry, and it shows how expectations have changed over the course of the close season, when you come away from Birmingham having got within two points of them but yet still feel disappointed.

However, early season though it is, that has to go down as one that got away tonight. Birmingham were much sharper out of the starts for the first 2/3 of the meeting but we managed to keep them in check until heat 7. However three poor heats in succession (heats 7, 8 and 9) where we conceded two 5-1s and a 4-2 cost us the meeting. We really needed Harris to step up in his final two rides to counter that, but it didn't happen.

It's both disappointing and encouraging that we were in a position to consider Howarth for heat 15. Disappointing in that it shows just how lacklustre Bomber's performance was tonight, but encouraging that Kyle is showing such promise early on in the season.

• Like 1