British Speedway Forum

I remember one Thursday tea time Mauger was on his way to Owlerton and in those days he had a trailer with two machines on, and as he took a right hand acute bend his bikes were spilled onto the road don`t remember if the trailer overturned or they just came adrift from the trailer . I didn`t see it personally but a friend who lived on the corner told me about the incident. I think he was an ACE at that time Mauger that is.

Those were the days, also riders travelling around with a bike strapped to the back of a car. Nowadays it seems as if young riders want everything right from the start and must have 'International Speedway Rider' emblazoned on the sides of their latest model van. :lol:

• Like 3

Those were the days, also riders travelling around with a bike strapped to the back of a car. Nowadays it seems as if young riders want everything right from the start and must have 'International Speedway Rider' emblazoned on the sides of their latest model van. :lol:

I actually saw a Car complete with Bike Rack and Speedway Bike last week at Newcastle. I haven't seen anything like that for years. It didn't half take me back. :) :) B)

• Like 4

I actually saw a Car complete with Bike Rack and Speedway Bike last week at Newcastle. I haven't seen anything like that for years. It didn't half take me back. :) :) B)

Probably Josh Embleton's bike.

• Like 1

I remember our trip to Wembley in 1969 Ivan took his #1 bike on the back of his Mercerdes car Soren Sjostin took his #1 bike in the boot of his Merc I took both riders #2 bikes & the Belle Vue track spare for both riders to use if required in a van Happy days

• Like 2

When Ipswich joined the 1st division in 1972, and Ivan came to town with the mighty Aces, you would have thought the King was coming to town. The excitement was unbelievable, never to be repeated by one man and his bike...

My dear old mum has Alzheimer's.

With the drugs she's in a happy place, it makes it much easier for us.

So sad to read this about such a great man who's done so much for speedway.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Yes Mauger was a big wig only one or two had more than one machine at that time....

Edited by dornier

Having seen three relatives or family friends either succumb or become dreadfully affected by Alzheimer's disease (or similar mental illnesses) in just the last six years, I have two angles looking at Ivan's own situation.

Firstly, immense sympathy for Ivan himself, his family and his friends because this may well be a long drawn out process with very few "better days" but many more "slightly downhill days" ... it's horribly sad when you have such vivid memories of people in both their prime and normal older age to then witness their decline.

Secondly, while respecting any family's wish for their local privacy, we desperately need the wider public to become better-educated, more tolerant and better-prepared for dealing with Alzheimer's and its related conditions.

Medical science has made huge advances with various problems that previously meant a swift death (notably heart conditions) but one unfortunate side-effect of such progress is that it means a greater proportion of the population survive long enough to reach the stage where their mental strength fails them before any of their other vital organs ... if the general public can simply understand this concept a lot better, we'll be on the way to making sure there's better advice/help for family/friends to deal with their private anguish when they need to be realistic about someone they know who has become seriously affected.

• Like 8

Having seen three relatives or family friends either succumb or become dreadfully affected by Alzheimer's disease (or similar mental illnesses) in just the last six years, I have two angles looking at Ivan's own situation.

Firstly, immense sympathy for Ivan himself, his family and his friends because this may well be a long drawn out process with very few "better days" but many more "slightly downhill days" ... it's horribly sad when you have such vivid memories of people in both their prime and normal older age to then witness their decline.

Secondly, while respecting any family's wish for their local privacy, we desperately need the wider public to become better-educated, more tolerant and better-prepared for dealing with Alzheimer's and its related conditions.

Medical science has made huge advances with various problems that previously meant a swift death (notably heart conditions) but one unfortunate side-effect of such progress is that it means a greater proportion of the population survive long enough to reach the stage where their mental strength fails them before any of their other vital organs ... if the general public can simply understand this concept a lot better, we'll be on the way to making sure there's better advice/help for family/friends to deal with their private anguish when they need to be realistic about someone they know who has become seriously affected.

Top post, as per usual.

More about the dreadful disease can be found here: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, that I have met Ivan on a few occasions, and had the pleasure of interviewing him at the final Exeter meeting.

I found him the most approachable of people. A pleasure to talk to, he would give up his time without a thought.

The word 'legend' can be overly used sometimes. Not with Ivan.

• Like 5

I remember Bert Harkins used to turn up at Old Meadowbank with his speedway bike on the sidecar of his road bike!!

Top man too!!

• Like 2

BERT also used to travel with his bike on a train... as did Ole Olsen when he first arrived from Denmark at Harwich and then by train to Newcastle and then immediately made the return journey back to Denmark. But it wasn't long before Diamonds promoter Mike Parker provided him with a van ... an old Morris Minor version formerly in service with the Post Office. What luxury!

I first heard about Ivans health problems nearly three years ago now from a friend of his who's name i shant disclose over lunch. I did at the time tell a few mates on here what i'd heard but obviously until the results proved conclusive its best not to put such things onto a forum . Speedway legend doesnt even come close to what the great man has given our sport. Hope him and his family gets the help they need , and the support of the speedway community .

• Like 1

Surely a Benefit Meeting for Ivan wouldn't be out of the question?

• Like 1

Surely a Benefit Meeting for Ivan wouldn't be out of the question?

Benefit meeting for a millionaire ?

The guy is a real legend of speedway history and this illness is terrible maybe a collection around the tracks for the Alzheimer's charity in the name of Ivan would be better and something fans would happily support.

• Like 2