British Speedway Forum
Mjolnir

Lakeside V Swindon - Elb 25/04/14

TBF Ben Morley is not far off the bottom of the draft list and had just got a paid maximum. He has achieved week on week progress with a lot of help from Dave Watt and some of the others,. That is what the draft is all about. If, as seems to be the case Swindon's top men more or less leave the reserves to fend for themselves then they won't improve.

Completely agree. Morley has spoken quite highly of the help and advice that he's had from his Lakeside team mates and the progress that he's made already is clear to see on track despite being ranked nearer the bottom of the list.

It's often been said that having riders like PK and Davey in the team literally adds points to the less experienced riders' scores (like Lawson last year) and the draft system is highlighting that further.

• Like 5

Ben was fantastic all night, one of the smoothest riders on track. His ht9 showed he also has a wise head on young shoulders: Firstly, he let Adam through on the backstreight & then deliberately kept his distance, as Adam was getting out of shape a few times. Congratulations on the PM Ben

• Like 3

Funny how all the draft haters are out in force. Clearly some of the draft riders aren't going to make the step up like others, but it's not meant for ever rider to become future EL riders I'm afraid. So far I'm seeing a lot of the FTD guys coming on a bundle and it's only been a month of the season. Worrall is obviously a big lose but Swindon chose the wrong guy to bring in tonight obviously when there's plenty of others who could of guested.

• Like 2

Glad I didn't make the 300 mile round trip to see this lack lustre Swindon performance, watched it on Bet365. To be fair we missed Batch and Stevie W and with them I'm sure it would have been closer.

Another frustrating night for Gustaffson - he's so much better than he's recent scores. Unfortunately its looking like Rosco's gamble on Nikolai and Simon has failed and with limited room to of make changes its looking like a season of mediocrity for the Robins.

Congratulations to killer tho for a top performance on a notoriously tricky track and also a sound effort from young Morra.

Well done Hammers and to the evergreen Peter Karlsson.

• Like 1

The prresentation at Lakeside typifies everything that is bad about speedway.

Aside from the wittily appropriate music we now have someone's Classic old rock Cd.

As if watching Swindon wasn't bad enough that seriously rubs salt into the wound.

North over Klindt any day. At least there is potential there.

Oh my lord. Born to be wild now.

and is that really gary glitter, 'hey rock and roll' they play.?.... :shock:

family sport is speedway, I believe.. :o

It's Showadywaddy. Not Gary Glitter.

Firstly, I never said the presentation at Swindon was any better, although I do think there is a bit more going on in Swindon's presentation insofar.

Sorry for the comment, but when you watch these live feeds they really do make the sport look like some small gathering at a Sunday fete and I was rather horrified at the music being played. Bat out of hell? Seriously? Sorry. I guess I'm just a bit of a music obsessive.

It wasn't intended as a 'Swindon's presentation is better than Lakeside's' comment. Presentation is poor at most tracks and I think they need to do something about it because nearly every match you see seems to have barely anyone there, and people being left standing around listening to 30 year old songs is rather uninspiring to a lot of the target audience.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

There were also a fair few new songs played, several of which I needed my 19 year old son to identify for me. But then I'm an old fogie according to him. LOL. A mixed bag for a mixed age audience?

It was lovely that there was a small tribute paid to Rico. Well done to whoever organised that.

• Like 2

It's Showadywaddy. Not Gary Glitter.

Firstly, I never said the presentation at Swindon was any better, although I do think there is a bit more going on in Swindon's presentation insofar.

Sorry for the comment, but when you watch these live feeds they really do make the sport look like some small gathering at a Sunday fete and I was rather horrified at the music being played. Bat out of hell? Seriously? Sorry. I guess I'm just a bit of a music obsessive.

It wasn't intended as a 'Swindon's presentation is better than Lakeside's' comment. Presentation is poor at most tracks and I think they need to do something about it because nearly every match you see seems to have barely anyone there, and people being left standing around listening to 30 year old songs is rather uninspiring to a lot of the target audience.

So what would YOU suggest should be done then to improve presentation at tracks given the final sentence within your posting? And, bearing in mind you state that you're "a bit of a music obsessive," care to list say ten to fifteen tracks that you would want to hear played at speedway meetings?

Edited by Bryn

People commenting on the presentation at meetings they are not even at typifies everything that is bad about the BSF. The thing that makes the above post even more stupid is that the pair that do the music at Lakeside also do it at Swindon.

Another expert whom knows how much dirt was on the track without even being there.

My 'slick' comment was based on Rosco's tweet. Can i presume he was mistaken ?

Edited by blupanther

So what would YOU suggest should be done then to improve presentation at tracks given the final sentence within your posting? And, bearing in mind you state that you're "a bit of a music obsessive," care to list say ten to fifteen tracks that you would want to hear played at speedway meetings?

Really? Grachan has a point that playing the same 30 year old songs week in week out is uninspiring! How about the top 10 singles in the current chart - surely being current is what the image of speedway is about rather than stuck in a time warp. #justsaying

You only have to listen Heart FM to hear what is popular - thankfully I don't - Radio 2 for me!

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 1

30 year old songs are far to recent.Let's go back to the 50s and 60s! Let's rock and roll!

• Like 1

Funny how the draft knockers are from teams that are losing their best reserves to Premier league teams on a regular basis, and that is understandable ,and this is the only real problem that i see in an otherwise excellent idea ,that just needs some fine tuning..IE. riders ride for one team or the other.. You can not have teams in either league continually changing according to who has priority over riders and being weakened by it

Edited by waco

Really? Grachan has a point that playing the same 30 year old songs week in week out is uninspiring! How about the top 10 singles in the current chart - surely being current is what the image of speedway is about rather than stuck in a time warp. #justsaying

Ok - care to list the current top ten in the charts then and give your own personal assessment of each of them in terms of whether they'd help improve liven up the atmosphere at any speedway meeting?

And with regards to last night's meeting, have you read and noted what "Bryce" said in his posting no.86?

• Like 1

Just watch 4music or listen to radio one. Play new stuff. It just keeps things more current. If you want to play Born to be wild then play it, but have new stuff either side. Not just continuous old fogey rock, which was what happened for the second half of the meeting.

And i'm an old fogey rock music fan by the way. But it has it's place.

Keep the music selection fluid and updated from week to week. You want it so that when people hear a current song they will recognise it from hearing it at speedway.

That's what i think, anyway. Speedway seriously needs to lose it's old fashioned image and the music played and style or presentation can play a big part in that.

And don't play Hey rock and roll. Even though it's not Gary Glitter an awful lot of people think it is.

And lose the William Tell Overture too. It really dates things. Have some up tempo dance music (one thing swindon do get right).

Edited by grachan
  • Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I'd be more worried about my team's performance than what tunes were being played.

And I truly don't think that playing gangsta rap, drum n' base, etc. is going to get a load of younger people tearing through the turnstiles.......innit.

Anyway, back to what's important - the racing.

Congratulations to Ben Morley for an excellent performance - and for being the first of the 'fast track' reserve guys to score a Paid Max.

• Like 1