British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Fast Track Riders

I did have my hand over my mouth

The advantage to a team with an outstanding reserve was much greater than it is now. In the past teams with gormleski reserves just dumped them for another uslesski reserve, it was unusual to see a noticeable improvement.

What we have now is the spread of ability at reserve is much smaller than it used to be (GP riders v NL riders) and those better reserves now aren't good enough to take seven rides and clean up in the process.

It's a good idea, no it's a brilliant idea and it was carefully thought through, then spoilt a bit by some arsehole promoters when they realised Belle Vue would have Garrity and Worrall at reserve, and it is difficult to see how it could have been done any other way without creating more issues.

If you've got a better way of introducing two British riders at reserve into every team then don't keep it a secret.

How would Belle Vue have ended up with Garrity & Steve Worrall as when the draft was done neither of them were an assett?.

How would Belle Vue have ended up with Garrity & Steve Worrall as when the draft was done neither of them were an assett?.

My recollection is that the original plan was that riders were to be allocated to teams geographically local to where they live.

That changed for some reason.

It's that good that fans are voting with their feet and turning their backs on the sport! :rolleyes:

But hey at least a few think it's a good idea :rolleyes:

Lets keep it real tho, we have been moaning about fans turning their back on Speedway ever since they started to water down the El so crowds arent down BECAUSE of the draft system - to be fair.

Lets keep it real tho, we have been moaning about fans turning their back on Speedway ever since they started to water down the El so crowds arent down BECAUSE of the draft system - to be fair.

Crowds are down because of the draft system - and no substantial reduction in EL admission prices (as proposed by Wolves and Poole I understand?!), because again the PL refused to follow suit and consider any price reductions for their product, as it 'would ruin their businesses'!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

holder and ward were averaging 10.50/11.00 a season or so ago ,

are we to say sorry your too good its not fair on the others , lewis kerr is the draft equivalent of ward / holder

who is to say his form will continue , it might tail off

ridiculous - fair play to him for improving ,

Absolutely correct. Most meetings are won and lost now at reserve...

Care to substantiate that claim? In only 2 of the first nine away victories were the reserve scores the deciding factor. I presume you must have the stats for home victories, or did you just make that clsim up with no factual basis?

Crowds are down because of the draft system - and no substantial reduction in EL admission prices (as proposed by Wolves and Poole I understand?!), because again the PL refused to follow suit and consider any price reductions for their product, as it 'would ruin their businesses'!

Not at Wolves , or at Belle Vue. Crowds are dropping because of the lowering of the standard of EL racing.

And the PL are only interested in their own businesses and clearly couldnt care less about the state of British Speedway.

They are just as culpable as EL bosses.

Not at Wolves , or at Belle Vue. Crowds are dropping because of the lowering of the standard of EL racing.

And the PL are only interested in their own businesses and clearly couldnt care less about the state of British Speedway.

They are just as culpable as EL bosses.

I think you will find that it is the cooperation of the PL that is keeping the EL afloat.

The EL dropped the draft system into the laps of the PL promotions well into the AGM.

It was never a situation of will the PL do it or will we do it.

Edited by Tsunami

I think you will find that it is the cooperation of the PL that is keeping the EL afloat.

The EL dropped the draft system into the laps of the PL promotions well into the AGM.

It was never a situation of will the PL do it or will we do it.

The co-operation of BOTH i think you will find. Without the EL riders doubling down the PL would also be in a pickle.

The co-operation of BOTH i think you will find. Without the EL riders doubling down the PL would also be in a pickle.

Doubling down was already in existence before the EL dropped their bombshell with the draft system. To the credit of the PL, they have played a full part in trying to make the system work, as it is them that provide the riders, in addition to the handful from the NL.

I think there is a stronger correlation between improved track preparation and good crowds, than there is between the FTD system and poor crowds.

It's a bit early to judge the crowd levels, with the recent poor weather - hopefully the summer sunshine is on it's way and attendances will rise

• Like 1

Doubling down was already in existence before the EL dropped their bombshell with the draft system. To the credit of the PL, they have played a full part in trying to make the system work, as it is them that provide the riders, in addition to the handful from the NL.

Yes - but in fairness, previously the PL got priority on all D/U (or D/D) riders - leaving the EL to find replacements. Now we have the same situation except that the EL get priority for their own assets.

This shows the cooperation from the EL because why on earth would a second tier league get priority over a top tier? Only in speedway.

So its not the PL cooperation that is keeping the EL afloat!

Care to substantiate that claim? In only 2 of the first nine away victories were the reserve scores the deciding factor. I presume you must have the stats for home victories, or did you just make that clsim up with no factual basis?

Personally seen 8 Elite Lge meetings this year, and the team with a high scoring reserve has won every match. Trouble is, these high scoring reserves will not move into the 1-5 as in the past, but remain at reserve. The teams with the worst reserves are at the wrong end of the table, and that's where they will stay. Poole have a tremendous 1-5, but have lost their last two at home because they are limited at reserve. The draft was badly implemented, and has actually put some deserving British riders out of work in the Elite...

• Like 1

My point was in relation to the fact that more and more EL riders taking advantage of doubling down is enriching the PL over the past few years.

The other point you make i fail to see. How have the PL` played a full part in trying to make the system work, as it is them that provide the riders`?

Some EL clubs already own the draft riders so the PL and mostly NL provide the rest. Just like the EL provides extra riders for the PL and likewise the PL provides extra riders to double up.

Edited by stevebrum