British Speedway Forum
sussex bulldog

Eagles V Wolves 03/05/2014 7.30 Pm

D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman? Your impersonation is uncanny.

I see the forums multi poster comedian is still at it.

I wonder when we reach the stage of questioning whether Woffinden deserves his place in the Wolves side.

I know NL riders who would show much more effort.

Edited by Liam Gallagher Fan

Oh dear, that is a dreadful showing from Wolves.

Not impressed in the slightest.

D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman? Your impersonation is uncanny.

Trouble is, after tonight's performance, we appear to be giving a great deal of credence to his bold statement. :rolleyes:

The match report on the OS should be interesting.

I wonder when we reach the stage of questioning whether Woffinden deserves his place in the Wolves side.

I know NL riders who would show much more effort.

You clearly weren't there. He won two races near the end and was clearly giving it his best in at least one other. I didn't have a good view, but I thought he was unlucky to get excluded in the first heat.

Oh dear, that is a dreadful showing from Wolves.

Not impressed in the slightest.

Beaten off the starts time after time and on a gaters paradise of a track they never had a prayer of getting back into it.

I assume the track grading started before heat 1

Just after, actually. I don't think I have ever seen a trackman grade the track three times after the first four heats. What's worse, it doesn't actually seem to do anything.

Bob Dugard is a good trackman and I have seen some cracking races at Eastbourne in the past. Tonight, though, it was rubbish.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Bob Dugard is a good trackman and I have seen some cracking races at Eastbourne in the past. Tonight, though, it was rubbish.

The preparation can be as good as it can be, the track is just to narrow and tight for good racing. Will probably still make the trip down in July though!

did intend making the trip for this one but r/r final straw for me this week so decided to stay home.

i think eagles will miss michelsen more than wolves miss pawlicki. hopefully an eagles win by 7 though.

7 x 5-1's i knew i shouldn't have stayed home. :mad:

The preparation can be as good as it can be, the track is just to narrow and tight for good racing. Will probably still make the trip down in July though!

Doing the updates last night, I commented to Youngy that aside from the referee's box and the catch fence Eastbourne doesn't seem to have changed at all since I went there in the early 1980's (the parade music is the same, too).

I stand to be corrected, but the track seems to be the same size as well.

It used to be a very good racing circuit in the days of Kennett and Moran (and I have seen some decent racing more recently) and if it is the same size I don't see why it can't be now.

One thing I meant to mention was that I was very impressed with Kevin Coombs again. Definitely one of the best in the business.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I think the evolution of the sport, particularly in terms of machinery means that narrower tracks have got more processional. Ipswich was never that bad a track in the eighties & nineties but in the end had to be widened as it was too narrow for good racing. Peterborough has got even better since being widened in 2001, same with Wolves. Narrow tracks are as much of a problem as poorly prepared ones IMO.

• Like 1

Updates has it all, track is slick and dry. Result = 13 races from the gate.

How anyone (other than Bob Dugard) can watch this crap and enjoy it is beyond me.

• Like 5

Having attended last night I'd say that the result had less to do with Bob's grading as knowing your way around Arlington. From the gate, as described in Updates didn't reflect what I saw. I'd put "From the 2nd bend" for a few of the races. Wolves certainly made a few starts, only for the Eagles to blast around the outside. But the number of restarts for starting infringements probably tells you how the riders feel it is so essential to get out of the gate there. I am also amazed at how different standing at the 4th bend is compared to the 2nd bend, in terms of rider's entry and line (and I say this as a veteran of many years at Craighead Park, Blantyre!)

As for Tai, he did struggle for the first 2 races (unlucky to be excluded in his first ride) but frankly when he was out front in his last 2 rides, he looked the best rider there, in terms of line and style. Cam and Bjarne made no impression on him.
The only disappointing aspect for me was the attendance and the lack of respect shown by the announcer concerning Tai's recent form.
When you put the World number 1 all over your advertising for the match, you don't start off an interview over the tannoy highlighting his current struggles

Edited by Jonimac

Doing the updates last night, I commented to Youngy that aside from the referee's box and the catch fence Eastbourne doesn't seem to have changed at all since I went there in the early 1980's (the parade music is the same, too).

I stand to be corrected, but the track seems to be the same size as well.

It used to be a very good racing circuit in the days of Kennett and Moran (and I have seen some decent racing more recently) and if it is the same size I don't see why it can't be now.

One thing I meant to mention was that I was very impressed with Kevin Coombs again. Definitely one of the best in the business.

The first and second bends were re-shaped a few years ago when Jason Crump was still riding and he set the new track record which was equalled by Chris Holder but not beaten.

Many top riders have commented on how good the track is to race on. JK said it was superb last night.

I don't agree that races were won from the gate but were mostly decided by coming out of the second bend or just after.

• Like 1

Tai was rightly excluded in heat 1. Clearly lost traction on the back wheel trying to push Cam wide and spun around. A good win but 1 pass all night beyond the second bend...!