British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Malcolm Simmons Seriously Ill

My great friend John Berry was never a man to eulogise over riders, but there was no shifting him in his admiration of Simmo. JB was a huge admirer of Malc..altho my views of him as Kings Lynn rider did improve when he moved to Poole...I wish the old boy well at this most difficult time...take care Simmo.

One of the great riders - best wishes

Best wishes to you Malcolm and your wife June and thank you for calling in at Iwade a few weeks ago to chat with us all about speedway in general your thoughts are always well received.

First remember Malcolm from Hackney then my beloved Custom House. Best wishes to the Docklands Pearl.

Malcolm, you gave so much pleasure to the fans at Poole and made " Super Simmo" a phrase that was recognised on cars throughout the town. For me it was at a time when the Pirates were not fashionable but you bought glamour, recognition, and high achievement to the town and all in a most professional way.

I was lucky enough to meet and interview you a few times and was proud to see you complete a lap of the makeshift circuit at the veteran reunion at Sammy Miller's in New Milton, wearing the skull and crossbones once more!

I won't forget that trade mark smile of yours on that day, even though you had been thought too poorly to get astride a bike.

Wimborne Road will always remember the great times you brought... Stay out in front and keep beating 'em all..

Nigel Leahy

• Like 2

Rarely ever saw the guy , he always used to bottle out of coming down to the county ground , always some pathetic excuse or other , nothing ever genuine. But i do wish him and his family well and hope he battles this and wins through.

Edited by phlipphlop

IT is sad to see our friend and Backtrack star columnist Malcolm Simmons being cared for in a Kent hospice.

And a very good columnist at that.

Rarely ever saw the guy , he always used to bottle out of coming down to the county ground , always some pathetic excuse or other , nothing ever genuine. But i do wish him and his family well and hope he battles this and wins through.

Just to remind you, TMC responded to a similar comment from you on the 27th August, 2009. Below is the posting:

You must have been on holiday on the nights Simmo went down to the County Ground and scored maximums for Poole against the Falcons!

Seriously, on the DVD, there is a section devoted to Exeter and Malc's thoughts on the CG track. He admits he, like many, had a phobia about the place but the move to Poole - and 'local' derbies between Falcons and Pirates - forced him to get used to the fearsome circuit.

He says there was nothing wrong with the Exeter track whatsoever and that all those who moaned about it (including him in his pre-Poole days) were wrong, and that it was 'all in the head'. He is very complimentary about Exeter - if not the robust tactics employed by Messrs Julian and (especially) Blewitt, which scared the life out of so many visiting riders.{C}{C}

You might just have twisted my arm ! Anything speedway which gives a good insight into the sport i've followed for 35 years rocks my boat, need to get out more i think ! (prob lemo's testimonial next for me)

• Like 3

More bad news for me after just hearing about Tony! Keep the throttle wound on mate and look for the dirt.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Like 1

Terrible news and my best wishes go to Malcolm and June.What a stylist he was,he made riding speedway look so easy in my lifetime in that respect Leigh Adams only comes close.A great rider who was about in a terrific era, the speedway fraternity are rooting for you.

Edited by sidney

In Daily Mail Tuesday 13th there is an article on a new treatment for Emphysema, it involves lung reducing surgery. The story is about a man who had this operation at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. Apparently it was a great success, I wonder if Malc has tried this.

In Daily Mail Tuesday 13th there is an article on a new treatment for Emphysema, it involves lung reducing surgery. The story is about a man who had this operation at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. Apparently it was a great success, I wonder if Malc has tried this.

Alas, Simmo has had at least one, possibly two, operations at a top London hospital in recent years to try and ease his discomfort but he has had to accept that the ravages inflicted on his lungs from all those years of smoking in his youth have slowly caught up with him.

He knows he was a fool to have smoked so many strong fags in his younger days but by the time he stopped, the serious damage was already done.

Edited by tmc