British Speedway Forum
hulvik

The Lighter Side Of Speedway

I can remember reading in Speedway Star as a child that a rider had been taken to hospital with a lacerated scrotum....I remember asking my mum what was a lacerated scrotum........I think I am still wincing at the answer even now !

Cannot remember who he rider was......but I remember the injury very well ! !

Might have been Stuey Robson with his big off at Brough with David Ruud about 2003.

Might have been Stuey Robson with his big off at Brough with David Ruud about 2003.

I don't think I would have asked my mum what a lacerated scrotum was in 2003 !....it was probably around 1978 or so.

Robert Maxfield I believe

Well remembered...I said about 1978 or so and now you say it I think it was Rob Maxfield...

Rob Maxfield always seem to have a Tax applied for note on his car where the tax disc should have been.....it would seem the postal service was very slow back in the 70's !.....but he did figure in my all time favourite race when he held off Ole Olsen for a 5-1 with Peter Collins at Hyde Road, when Olsen was pretty invincible at Hyde Road....I think the roof on the main stand nearly came off with the noise..

The old Scunthorpe ground at Ashbyville (now a supermarket) was a little make shift to say the least. Built in a dip,the safety fence was made out of old bed frames for a start and the ref's box was an old double decker bus. But the most notable thing was the roundabout above the ground always had a policeman on duty to keep the traffic moving and stop people just parking up and standing on the roadside and watch the racing.

I remember a test match at Oxford, for some reason Simon Wigg lent Alun Rossiter his bike for one important race. As Roscoe sat on Wigg's bike at the pit gate, and went to pull away, Wigg shouted "Go steady!" loud enough for everyone on turns 3 & 4 to hear.

I can't be sure that this is true but I recall a story about a team travelling to Scotland on a coach and when it got to the border they asked a young Aussie if he had his passport with him. When he said he hadn't his team mates consigned him to the luggage hold to avoid 'customs' and there he stayed until they arrived at the track!

Anybody know if this is true?

• Like 1

I can't be sure that this is true but I recall a story about a team travelling to Scotland on a coach and when it got to the border they asked a young Aussie if he had his passport with him. When he said he hadn't his team mates consigned him to the luggage hold to avoid 'customs' and there he stayed until they arrived at the track!

Sounds like the same(ish) story about the county cricket team who went to play Glamorgan and they did the same to one of their 'Junior' players.

100 % true.... But I just cannot recall the Aussie involved..but it did happen

Stories of riders touring Newcastle under Lyme near Stoke when should be up in Newcastle upon Tyne...that definitely happened to a young Aussie as well

100 % true.... But I just cannot recall the Aussie involved..but it did happen

Stories of riders touring Newcastle under Lyme near Stoke when should be up in Newcastle upon Tyne...that definitely happened to a young Aussie as well

Didnt Krys Cegeilski go to Belle Vue Doncaster and not Belle Vue Manchester? Certainly happened to a rider about 12-15 years ago.

remember one evening at kirky lane when cov were the opposition, after a few races cov were getting well beaten so started complaining about how much dirt was on the track..

at one gap between heats Colin Pratt and his whole team came out of the pits and started walking the first two turns kicking into the dirt to ascertain the depth and sporadically pointing to the track and shaking their heads ...

moments later John Perrin came out with a bucket of shale, walked between the cov riders and started to spread the shale on the track by hand as if feeding corn to chickens...

he then presented the still half full bucket to the cov management and told them they could keep it and take it back with them to brandon so their track could start having shale on it too.... :D

Colin Pratt is said to have replied "I don't tell you how many onions to put on your burgers, so you don't tell me how to prepare a track" !! :D

• Like 3

I can remember reading in Speedway Star as a child that a rider had been taken to hospital with a lacerated scrotum....I remember asking my mum what was a lacerated scrotum........I think I am still wincing at the answer even now !

Cannot remember who he rider was......but I remember the injury very well ! !

Robert Maxfield I believe

I was at Crayford that night, and whilst it afterwards transpired what hadhappened to Rob Maxfield. The incident itself which led to Robs unfortunate injury was probablly the funniest thing I have seen. After coming off his bike his cut off broke and so the bike kept running doing donuts on the track in the middle of the bend various mechanics and track staff attempted to pull the cut out without getting hit by the spinning bike, when suddenly the bike righted it self and headed back to the pits, frantic track staff officals riders etc who had been watching the action suddenly realised they were in its path. so everyone tries to get away and close the pit gate, all to no avail as bike clears fence and is lost amongst the melee. :rofl:

Apparently no one was injured, well apart from Rob that is :party:

• Like 1

Eric Boocook while riding for Halifax was once excluded from a race . On his return to the pits heard a loud cheer and though he'd been reinstated. this wasn't the case. The cheer was for his mother who had climbed the ladder to the ref's box and demanded an explanation

• Like 1

Sverre Harrfeldt was a regular visitor to Cradley rather than Cradley Heath. Fortunately there is only about 3 miles between them.

......mikebv..........remember one evening at kirky lane when cov were the opposition, after a few races cov were getting well beaten so started complaining about how much dirt was on the track..

How times change. :lol: These days the Coventry riders continually moan about the lack of shale and the track being too slick at Brandon.