British Speedway Forum
semion

Kings Lynn Stars V Poole Pirates Thursday 22nd May

Good result for the Stars, especially the points from Lewis, Nicklas Porsing and Robert Lambert.

Enjoyed the radio coverage and if they are reporting again please post on meeting thread.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the racing was tonight. Not top notch but perfectly watchable. All credit to Buster in turning a complete mess into something that looked like a speedway track. I think a lesser tracks man would have given it up as a bad job.

All credit to Poole tonight. They never jacked it in at any point and just wouldn't lie down. Well worth their point. Lynn had 4 riders performing and 2 under performing. Darren Mallet did what was expected of him.

I don't think anything much can be read into tonight's match as a form guide. Fair result.

• Like 1

Ridiculous how Kerr can be classed as a NL rider.

But they are PL reserves not like Kerr who is near enough a heat leader.

I never said Lewis Kerr was a NL rider stevebrum.

Check your quoted post above.

Garrity started the season 5th in the teams averages (like Kerr). Newman started 4th in his teams averages. Blackbird started 5th in his teams averages. Nielsen also started the season 5th in his teams averages.

so Kerr is one of 5 riders NOT starting the season as reserves.

Kerr is proving to be the pick of the bunch. Such is life.

• Like 2

Steve, I think you are referring to the wrong Nielsen. It is Stefan who rides for Belle Vue. He didn't have a PL place but has just signed for Rye House.

I said classed. Commentators are saying it is a big step up for these guys riding 2 leagues above what they are use to so that must mean NL right? the PL riders on the list are all PL reserves apart from Blackbird and Kerr. All I am saying teams have got riders who will not score a point unless there are 3 riders in the race whilst Lynn have a not far off PL heat leader and that is the only reason why they are top in my opinion.

By your reasoning Eastbourne should be near the top of the league too but they aren't are they?

The reason why Lynn are doing so well is because we have a very good TEAM - not just because we have a very good fast track reserve! Lynn would've lost the home match with Poole tonight if it hadn't been for the extremely good performances of our #2,3, & 4 to make up for the below-par performances of our #1 & 5. So Kerr's 12 points would'nt have counted for anything without their contributions.

• Like 2

All I am saying teams have got riders who will not score a point unless there are 3 riders in the race whilst Lynn have a not far off PL heat leader and that is the only reason why they are top in my opinion.

The only reason? Nothing to do with also having the strong est heat leader trio, or arguably the most improved second strings?
  • Like 1

Any chance you could expand on that please SL?

Screamer - as far as I remember it. Porsing said the mudguard from the Pole Don't think he named him flew off and hit his helmet and he thought the ref should have excluded him, but obviously hadn't seen it. Think it was the race when NKI fell. My daughter says she saw the track staff pick up the 2 pieces of mudguard. He also said he was using his Danish engine in UK for first time this year and was very happy with it.

Lambert said he thought the track was the best it had been all season.

Radio Nirfolk managed to interview a rider after nearly every heat. Was good to hear what was going on in the pits. Should happen at all tracks every week via the pa IMHO, after all fans love to know these things.

Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 3

Not surprised to see the miracle, Buster did with the track. Have witnessed his expertise before, when turning an absolute mire into a race track within an hour. When it comes to preparing a race track Buster has no equal. He takes pride in his work and has everything wanted, at his disposal.

Funny meeting and thoroughly enjoyed the late night. Unlike some, I really rate this Stars team, and feel we are more than capable of winning each match. We are strong in each of the 3 categories. Tonight our heat leaders struggled to score the points we have come accustomed too, but our second strings and draft riders again performed admirable to compensate and won with some to spare.

I believe Poole will always be there or thereabouts because of their mentality. But there is not reason to fear them. Yes, they have some good riders, but so do we. Unlike other nights this year, I never felt at any time we were going to lose. There were no squeaky bum races when we were relying on max points, tonight we were never behind and always with a bit to spare. Looking back, to be 8 pts up with a race to go was something of a luxury for us. We have had harder meetings here this year than we had last night.

No doubt we can take a lot of positives from the meeting. If Poole were able to win they should have done so last night. Most of the incidents that happened resulted in Poole's favour. Even the most blatant rolling at the gate by Hopwood, the ref let go and allowed Josh a surprise win. Another day, with a full team, our heat leaders will score more heavily, and as shown the rest are more than able to stand up and be counted.

No , last nights match was just great.......... :t:

• Like 2

Quite agree, excellent to see our middle order step up to the plate with the top two having quiet evenings. We'll need another good team effort next week against those Coventry Bees, especially if they replace Fisher with Larsen before then. We have no reason to fear anyone, although every opponent must be treated with respect.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

Adam Ellis, Joe Jacobs, Paul Starke, Ashley Morris, Kyle Newman, Jason Garrity, Simon Nielsen also have PL averages.

They have ALL been allowed in the draft because all warrant fast track experience.

Ellis, Newman, Morris and Kerr all got their reserve places as of right because they were club assets as well as being on the draft list..............the others did not...............

If it was felt they warranted fast track experience then the right decision was made to put all of them (assuming you mean Stefan Nielsen not Simon) in the draft..............

In fact Newman is doing better at EL level than he is at PL level at the moment..............

RP

I'm amazed of all this talk about the fast track riders, who are right and who is wrong. To argue about the list now is ridiculous. My biggest concerns are about the differences in the CMA because of what category they are riding against, and what will happen to them next year. All this has yet to be announced.

But the plus factor of the FTR is that, now we have at least a dozen young brits all competing in the top league and getting wonderful experiences and progressing at a far greater speed than they would other wise have done. Adam Ellis, Joe Jacobs, Paul Starke, Ashley Morris, Kyle Newman, Jason Garrity and Lewis Kerr are all riders that have impressed this year and will no doubt be top name for the future.

It been along time since we had so much talent coming through the ranks and that can only be good for British Speedway.

Long may it continue.

• Like 5

I've not had time to read any of the previous postings, so apologies if I writing what's already been said.

When I arrived at the stadium shortly before 5.00pm, conditions were so bad that I phoned my wife and told her that I'd be home in around 45-minutes (gives her time to chuck the boyfriend out :shock: ), as I was 100% convinced that there would be no speedway, but how wrong was I??

I don't think there's another promoter in the country that would have put in all that effort to get the track not only rideable but raceable to. Because bad weather had been forecast the previous night, I can think of at least one promoter that would have called his meeting off 24-hours earlier, purely on that assumed forecast. But 'Buster' is a different person from the majority of clubs leaders, and in my opinion deserves to have had every last person in that stadium last night, go up and pat him on the back for what he achieved.

In the past he's received criticism for opening the gates only to call a meeting off, and apart from maybe just one occasion, could I agree with that. If he thinks he can turn around a dire situation in a reasonable length of time, so as not to make it a to long a wait for the public, he'll work his socks off to do so, as was proven last night.

For those of us who were in attendance last night, will of course now find it difficult when visiting an away track, if they should call a meeting off, because if one promoter can turn an impossible situation into a possible situation then they should all be able to do so. But the answer to that of course would be that Buster genuinely cares about us people who put food on the table for him and his family, others don't.

Keith Duncan Chapman, you deserve a medal mate. Thank You.

• Like 7

I've not had time to read any of the previous postings, so apologies if I writing what's already been said.

When I arrived at the stadium shortly before 5.00pm, conditions were so bad that I phoned my wife and told her that I'd be home in around 45-minutes (gives her time to chuck the boyfriend out :shock: ), as I was 100% convinced that there would be no speedway, but how wrong was I??

I don't think there's another promoter in the country that would have put in all that effort to get the track not only rideable but raceable to. Because bad weather had been forecast the previous night, I can think of at least one promoter that would have called his meeting off 24-hours earlier, purely on that assumed forecast. But 'Buster' is a different person from the majority of clubs leaders, and in my opinion deserves to have had every last person in that stadium last night, go up and pat him on the back for what he achieved.

In the past he's received criticism for opening the gates only to call a meeting off, and apart from maybe just one occasion, could I agree with that. If he thinks he can turn around a dire situation in a reasonable length of time, so as not to make it a to long a wait for the public, he'll work his socks off to do so, as was proven last night.

For those of us who were in attendance last night, will of course now find it difficult when visiting an away track, if they should call a meeting off, because if one promoter can turn an impossible situation into a possible situation then they should all be able to do so. But the answer to that of course would be that Buster genuinely cares about us people who put food on the table for him and his family, others don't.

Keith Duncan Chapman, you deserve a medal mate. Thank You.

I could not agree more.

So many positives to come out of the meeting last night.

Rory was superb and I think could have really mixed it in heat 15 had Tai not been slowing him down for 2 laps.

But the real plus for me was Lambert, Porsing and Kerr. There was a lot of nervousness at the start of the season about how top heavy our line up looked, and would our second string be able to cope with riding against riders with 5.00 – 6.00 averages. Well, last night again showed me that we have nothing to worry about!

I think Poole’s 1-5 is up there with anything in the league, and the fact that we matched them in a meeting where our top two had tough nights can only be good for the future.

As for Kerr, what a talent he is and he’s got pretty decent elbows too when it’s tight at the start.

Onwards and upwards Stars and well done Poole for an enjoyable meeting.

• Like 2

I could not agree more.

So many positives to come out of the meeting last night.

Rory was superb and I think could have really mixed it in heat 15 had Tai not been slowing him down for 2 laps.

But the real plus for me was Lambert, Porsing and Kerr. There was a lot of nervousness at the start of the season about how top heavy our line up looked, and would our second string be able to cope with riding against riders with 5.00 – 6.00 averages. Well, last night again showed me that we have nothing to worry about!

I think Poole’s 1-5 is up there with anything in the league, and the fact that we matched them in a meeting where our top two had tough nights can only be good for the future.

As for Kerr, what a talent he is and he’s got pretty decent elbows too when it’s tight at the start.

Onwards and upwards Stars and well done Poole for an enjoyable meeting.

I could not agree more with what you say either. Hey, we've got a bit of an admiration thing going on here between ourselves......and so early in the day too :rofl: