British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Swindon V Belle Vue 26/5/14

So if it was that dangerous why did heat 1 start then, it's drizzled throughout the meeting.

Because they gave it a good go, as one would hope they would.

I don't really get why everyone is so bothered about it. Personally I reckon you're all bonkers, and because the nature of people's complaints about everything on this forum have, shall we say, jumped the shark, no complaints on here will ever be taken seriously by anyone that matters.

Aren't you the guy who went on and on about some rain off in 2007? Ah, 2007. What a year that was.

Edited by grachan

Just imagine how many pages this thread would be if poole were the home team in these circumstances. ...

• Like 1

Because they gave it a good go, as one would hope they would.

I don't really get why everyone is so bothered about it. Personally I reckon you're all bonkers, and because the nature of people's complaints about everything on this forum have, shall we say, jumped the shark, no complaints on here will ever be taken seriously by anyone that matters.

Aren't you the guy who went on and on about some rain off in 2007? Ah, 2007. What a year that was.

WTF 2007 got to do with anything?

Edited by Rob B
  • Like 1

First chance I've had to say anything at length about the meeting.

To start, back to the Coventry match that a few have mentioned. Much like last night there was persistent, but not pouring rain that night that would not let up. The major beef I had that night was that the track and conditions had gone past the point of being raceable at about heat 7, and the heats after that were complete non events. If they thought heats 8,9 and 10 could have been run, how could the heats after 10 not been run, in the same, supposedly raceable conditions...the meeting was still up for grabs, whether swindon looked like they would have mounted a comeback or not was irrelevant. The fans were cheated out of getting any money from a restaging, and were instead treated to 3 or 4 heats of total bilge, rushed through just to tick a box so the whole shambles didn't have to be arranged again, as well as the remaining 5 heats that weren't run. Havelock going on about it on twitter like he masterminded winning the league title, as one of our young riders was being treated for life threatening after being hitched off by one of his team, was particularly galling,

Last night, for the record, at the track, I wanted to see the meeting run to heat 15, it was entertaining enough in places, and it would have been nice to have seen 15 heats of speedway that I had payed for for a change. However, even without knowing of the discussions that were going on in the pits after heats 10 or 12, I wasn't too surprised to see it brought to a halt.

Standing out the rain under the main stand, to me it looked as if the rain was getting slightly heavier at heat 11, in the puddles forming on the dog track covers. As I mentioned briefly last night, watching it back on TV, the cameras made the conditions look much brighter than it actually was. I can see why people watching at home would think it wasn't as bad as some were making out. I agree that racing heat 11 was fine, but when you see heat 12 run in a time of over 72 seconds, it does indicate that something about the conditions wasn't right.

Coming back and watching on the recording seeing Nicholls saying it wasn't ideal after 10 and his obvious doubts when it was called at 12 when interviewed, was probably the main insight into what most riders in the pits would have been thinking. Cook saying he wanted to continue...after 3 ducks...give me a break. Probably was happy to continue because he knew he would be replaced by wright in heat 13.

So plenty of justification for the meeting to be called to a halt, by the ref/meeting steward/gormless puppet from the BSPA or Sky, yet Rosco is being portrayed (seemingly by those not there) as some sort of antichrist who has managed to singlehandedly demolish British speedway. Pick of the bunch being the stick hes getting for saying that he thought the rain was getting slightly heavier in a lighthearted conversation with Charlie. The girl employed by the broadcaster that wants to keep the action going for its viewers, disagreed. Funny that. The girl who all too often can barely string a cohesive sentence together in the form of some sort of slightly enlightening question, has suddenly become a fully fledged meteorologist according to those all to keen to partake in a bit of rosco bashing.

Particularly funny that a lot of the bitter comments are coming from BV fans, whose club was involved in the single most damaging and insulting speedway match broadcast on Sky against Poole last year, as well as "water bowser-gate".

Good to see Gustaffsson riding well, although he did do well against Belle Vue the other month too...so I'll be keeping my party poppers in my pocket, just for the moment for a few more matches.

• Like 7

Not making stuff up at all ..you clearly said that Rosco outbust would destroy the little confidence Simon had ...as has been shown that has not been the case and what Rosco did look's like it has done the trick

Not sure why Rosco was wrong ? no matter what he is not the person who called that the match off it was Ronnie Allen . Reading the topic I not seen anyone who said that was not the case .

No manager should criticise staff in front of others and certainly not in public because the risk is that it is humiliating and likely to destroy confidence and respect for the manager. It's a bit early after two good matches to claim anything has worked but regardless it is something you don't do if you have any respect for people.

A good manager will get the results without resorting to such tactics.

Of course it was Allen who made the decision. Rosco, to get the points was oblivious to or, unconcerned about short changing those there and those watching on TV when he put forward the argument that the match should be abandoned. This despite everyone being able to see that the track was raceable. Perhaps you don't think it was. In that case what happened after heat 12 to change things? Tatum didn't see that anything had changed

Attwood wanted the match to continue. Are you seriously telling us that Allen would have abandoned it if Rosco had said the same. In which case Rosco has to bear some responsibility for the decision. You can't feed the bullets and then hope to escape all responsibility.

WTF 2007 got to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing. I just had a flashback moment that's all.

I shouldn`t think the rule is any different for TV matches but Ronnie Allen should have made his decision without any input from the home camp

15.11 After Heat 10 in an official Team fixture, only the Team that is losing may request a track

inspection, or seek abandonment of the Meeting.

If anyone who knows Ronnie will tell you, he would never be influenced by Rosco.

If anything he would go the opposite way!

Anyway two wins out of two over the Aces...move on peeps.

That's the main thing.

It's the way it is I'm afraid and shafting number four this year for The Aces, but it's only Belle Vue so nothing will be done.

Still another nail in the EL coffin so every cloud and that.

If the visibility was so bad, then how did that Palm tree guy, and Nick Morris manage to give us one of the best races of the season? I would love to see them race each other when they could actually see properly!

Edited by BritPete
  • Like 6

Having read through 300 odd posts of excuses, I still see no reason, why this meeting couldn't have run the full course. It doesn't matter if the heat times were slower, Buster once told me he could alter the track times by as much as 3 sec just by the preparation of the track. The issue here is raceability, and anybody who saw Ht 12 witnessed a track that was racable.

Years ago the promotions would have hurriedly completed the programme without ever thinking about such abandonment. Now, with so many rules that offer the opportunity, we have officials with too much power, dying to make these decisions, that does nothing but make them feel important.

God what a mess this sport is in. We're losing supporters by the day and nobody seem to care, decisions are always made for personal gains, And the good of the sport has disappeared with all the other worthy virtues..

• Like 6

First chance I've had to say anything at length about the meeting.

To start, back to the Coventry match that a few have mentioned. Much like last night there was persistent, but not pouring rain that night that would not let up. The major beef I had that night was that the track and conditions had gone past the point of being raceable at about heat 7, and the heats after that were complete non events. If they thought heats 8,9 and 10 could have been run, how could the heats after 10 not been run, in the same, supposedly raceable conditions...the meeting was still up for grabs, whether swindon looked like they would have mounted a comeback or not was irrelevant. The fans were cheated out of getting any money from a restaging, and were instead treated to 3 or 4 heats of total bilge, rushed through just to tick a box so the whole shambles didn't have to be arranged again, as well as the remaining 5 heats that weren't run. Havelock going on about it on twitter like he masterminded winning the league title, as one of our young riders was being treated for life threatening after being hitched off by one of his team, was particularly galling,

Last night, for the record, at the track, I wanted to see the meeting run to heat 15, it was entertaining enough in places, and it would have been nice to have seen 15 heats of speedway that I had payed for for a change. However, even without knowing of the discussions that were going on in the pits after heats 10 or 12, I wasn't too surprised to see it brought to a halt.

Standing out the rain under the main stand, to me it looked as if the rain was getting slightly heavier at heat 11, in the puddles forming on the dog track covers. As I mentioned briefly last night, watching it back on TV, the cameras made the conditions look much brighter than it actually was. I can see why people watching at home would think it wasn't as bad as some were making out. I agree that racing heat 11 was fine, but when you see heat 12 run in a time of over 72 seconds, it does indicate that something about the conditions wasn't right.

Coming back and watching on the recording seeing Nicholls saying it wasn't ideal after 10 and his obvious doubts when it was called at 12 when interviewed, was probably the main insight into what most riders in the pits would have been thinking. Cook saying he wanted to continue...after 3 ducks...give me a break. Probably was happy to continue because he knew he would be replaced by wright in heat 13.

So plenty of justification for the meeting to be called to a halt, by the ref/meeting steward/gormless puppet from the BSPA or Sky, yet Rosco is being portrayed (seemingly by those not there) as some sort of antichrist who has managed to singlehandedly demolish British speedway. Pick of the bunch being the stick hes getting for saying that he thought the rain was getting slightly heavier in a lighthearted conversation with Charlie. The girl employed by the broadcaster that wants to keep the action going for its viewers, disagreed. Funny that. The girl who all too often can barely string a cohesive sentence together in the form of some sort of slightly enlightening question, has suddenly become a fully fledged meteorologist according to those all to keen to partake in a bit of rosco bashing.

Particularly funny that a lot of the bitter comments are coming from BV fans, whose club was involved in the single most damaging and insulting speedway match broadcast on Sky against Poole last year, as well as "water bowser-gate".

Good to see Gustaffsson riding well, although he did do well against Belle Vue the other month too...so I'll be keeping my party poppers in my pocket, just for the moment for a few more matches.

OK, hands up, perhaps I thought Rosco is cleverer than he is. I mentioned his comments about the rain getting heavier during his interview after heat 10 because I thought he was being tactically clever and laying the ground to give a reason to call it off after heat 12. His comments followed a discussion off air with Charlie when he had made the same point which she challenged but still he felt the need to make it on air. Obviously, you don't think he is that bright. 😀 The real weather and visibility position was there for all to see in heat 11.

A bit pathetic, childish and irrelevant to raise the water bowser and Poole match last year. BV were not allowed to call off the Poole match and did not want it to go ahead.

Edited by Aces51

Yep see a patten. Aces v Poole, we want it off but officials says it's on. Swindon v Aces, we want it on but officials says it's off.

Great being an Ace in't it!

The way around this is simple. You can only call off a match and let the result stand when it is impossible for the result to be any different to the one standing when the match is abandoned. To make it a little easier, you can assume that all 4 riders would finish the remaining races and ignore the 1 point losing bonus. So, in this case, if Swindon were 13 ahead with 3 races standing, then it's over.

• Like 1

The way around this is simple. You can only call off a match and let the result stand when it is impossible for the result to be any different to the one standing when the match is abandoned. To make it a little easier, you can assume that all 4 riders would finish the remaining races and ignore the 1 point losing bonus. So, in this case, if Swindon were 13 ahead with 3 races standing, then it's over.

What a very simple and sound idea, which should be adopted, and in fact, should have been adopted years ago....

Unfortunately, its simplicity and the underlying logic, makes its unlikely to be adopted by the "powers that be", sadly

• Like 1