British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lioness

James Grieves Tribute Meeting 08/06

The article below is taken from http://www.glasgowtigers.co/?p=3356 Surprised that very little has been said about this, James was Scotlands no 1 for long ands weary and has done loads for Scottish Speedway over the years. Hope he gets a decent turn out on Sunday and that he gets well soon from his health problems

Article reads:

We were sorry to learn that James has had to undergo an emergency operation, just last week, to relieve some pain and discomfort in relation to his kidney function. This is something James has suffered from, off and on, and had ridden with for a number of years.

The good news is that he has been released and is currently at home however there is a possibility that he may have to undergo a further operation within the next few weeks.

Whilst James’ health and well-being is, rightly, first and foremost, typically he is also trying to focus on finalising his tribute meeting coming up on Sunday.

There have been a few enforced changes to the rider field (Josh Grajczonek’s injury sustained at Coventry on Friday being one of those) and the finalised list of confirmed riders will be publicised by us towards the end of this week.

Meantime James has expressed his genuine appreciation for all sponsorship pledges to date, and asked that any further/final sponsors please come forward in the next couple of days (a special edition programme will have to go to print mid-week) to help assist in covering off the costs of staging this event. There remains some availability for heat sponsors (£200), rider sponsors (£150) and fuel/oil sponsors (£35) – heat and rider sponsorship includes 2 admissions, complimentary special edition programmes, accreditation of sponsorship within programme and gift photograph with your rider (else rider of your choice).

Please note that admission for James’ meeting will be at a slightly reduced rate of Adults £15, Concessions £11, Children 12-15 £5, U12s £1.

If you can help James, and help mark his final Glasgow Speedway occasion as due recognition of his contribution to the Tigers cause over many seasons, please do get in touch straight away by email to info@glasgowtigers.co

Race Jacket collectors, there will be some tasty specially commissioned 1980s style Glasgow Tigers race jackets up for grabs after James' meeting. This will include one signed by "GOD" or should I say Steve Lawson.

Best wishes to James for a good show on Sunday.

The track must have taken a pounding yesterday with 6 hours of incessant rain. Met Office shows to rain from 11 til 4 today. Good luck!

Davie has posted a photo of the track a short while ago - the guys were obviously in early! It looks really good :)

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number.

Thanks

Hope turn out was great. Im having to work on dayshift now dont finish till 6 (very sad face emotion)

Thats one of the worst lineups for a testimonial I have ever seen.

which riders would you ask that dont ride in the polish league

Thats one of the worst lineups for a testimonial I have ever seen.

At least the riders listed turned up. It was a fair meeting. The losers today were the people who didn't turn up. Cheers James. :cheers:

• Like 3

I loved James when he was a Diamond. He was the BEST at the 4th bend outside pass Brough Park has ever seen.

A shame this meeting clashed with some old clubs and their riders being unavailable. I'm sure a few Diamonds fans would have made the trip had we not been racing ourselves.

• Like 2

At least the riders listed turned up. It was a fair meeting. The losers today were the people who didn't turn up. Cheers James. :cheers:

Nicely put tyretrax

I enjoyed it and havent been enjoying speedway for a while. Too many people think you need a 'superstar' to compete in a meeting but unless you can afford half a dozen of similar standard it doent make it entertaining on track imo.

It was a good day, pity there werent more there to enjoy it :)

• Like 1