British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Django

Workington Vs Edinburgh 14th June 7pm (premier League)

Suitable cover to enable a meeting to continue with a rider going to hospital should be mandatory. There will always be extremes, but for a single incident there shouldn't be any excuse.

Well, you never know, something might come out of this but as I said, it's the first time I can ever remember it happening!!

I don't know about the ambulance situation but when Kyle crashed with Complin the doctor had to go in the ambulance and the meeting was abandoned.More than 1 doctor might be the solution.

Yeah, could very well be the answer, if I'm not mistaken Comets always had the names of three Doctors printed in the programme but I only ever saw Doc Butler, that may be a few years ago now but definitely remember seeing them there, cutback's again?? :o

and we should all be picking up a grand a week in our wage packet. but we are not..just like having enough life jackets on a boat. you either get one, or you dont.lol.

If only mate, if only!! :D

Just as well the World Cups not in Worky.

Best wishes Gary Lewin!

Just as well the World Cups not in Worky.

Best wishes Gary Lewin!

Brazil's not much better!! :D

NO. We usually have three Doctors, and always run with two ambulances. A third ambulance(Land Rover type) is also in the pits but used for personnel transport to our meeting.

Its about blo**y time increased medical cover was a legislated requirement, and not just so the damn meeting can continue. Another Kyle might well have died on track but for our excellent medical team at Brough.

• Like 2

Im confused - Ryan Fisher isnt even riding?

Sorry, should have added he was talking to scrabble man about his injury. The guy's just a wind up merchant, but comes across as a phallic member to me!

Edited by DaleDiver

deleted

Edited by cyclone

If they insist that one ambulance is enough, (9 times out of 10 it is) then there should be a first aid room equipped to the standard of an A&E ambulance where patients can be treated and/or await the arrival of an NHS ambulance,

But if the Doctor is required to stay with the casualty either in the ambulance or the first aid room then racing will have to be suspended until the Doctor is available or if there is a fully trained and registered paramedic and the ambulance is free, then the racing can continue

I was there tonight to witness events, but first of all, I will quote the following from the Official Edinburgh website:

"A second ambulance was apparently 66 miles away, though the stadium ambulance in which Kyle was being treated would only have had to travel to Whitehaven, seven miles away."

I would be interested if someone from the Workington Management could confirm if this correct, and if so, explain why it was estimated it would take a least a further hour for ambulance and medical cover to resume ?

The abandonment was met with audible disapproval from the main Stand, which was mainly populated by home supporters, and some visiting fans, including me.

Make no mistake, whilst Howarth's well being was of paramount importance, the lack of contingency backup to continue the meeting will only drive away more frustrated fans from attending further matches.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

I was there tonight to witness events, but first of all, I will quote the following from the Official Edinburgh website:

"A second ambulance was apparently 66 miles away, though the stadium ambulance in which Kyle was being treated would only have had to travel to Whitehaven, seven miles away."

I would be interested if someone from the Workington Management could confirm if this correct, and if so, explain why it was estimated it would take a least a further hour for ambulance and medical cover to resume ?

The abandonment was met with audible disapproval from the main Stand, which was mainly populated by home supporters, and some visiting fans, including me.

Make no mistake, whilst Howarth's well being was of paramount importance, the lack of contingency backup to continue the meeting will only drive away more frustrated fans from attending further matches.

That is a strange one and I certainly never heard that mentioned over the mike?

66 miles in nearly all directions from Workington puts that second ambulance outside the county boundaries so that cant possibly be right surely? :o

Round trip of maybe and "66 mins" to do it in, possibly, but that's gotta be a misunderstanding, I know we're not over populated in these parts but that's not an auspicious outlook for the rest of us should we be desperate for an ambulance?

They mentioned a 60+ minute wait, and that the ambulance that had Kyle in it may not be able to return. I'd have thought if it was hired for the event, it would have?

We've had far to many occasions where a replacement ambulance was required at Armadale, but as I remember there has always been one when required. It comes across as sheer amateurism from the promotion IMO.

Edited by DaleDiver

Suitable cover to enable a meeting to continue with a rider going to hospital should be mandatory. There will always be extremes, but for a single incident there shouldn't be any excuse.

Dead right, and some clubs do have it - Newcastle and Plymouth spring to mind.

When Ash Birks was seriously injured at SBA last season, the meeting was held up for 15 minutes while they repaired the fence.

No doubt it costs more, but how much does an abandonment like this or having punters standing around for ages cost ?

Its not quite as simple as dropping the rider off and coming back unfortunately. It happened at Rye House last season and both track ambulances went to the hospital which is in Harlow and less than 7 miles away. The meeting was held up for 90 minutes, apparently due to transferring the riders to hospital care.

I can fully understand the frustration you and others felt having been there myself many times.

Your last line is dead right. We all put rider safety and well being first but there is an alternative and it should be put in place.

It should be noted, the England v Italy game wasn't t called off when the England physio done his ankle in.

Dangerous Motorsport, high risk of serious injury, inadequate medical cover, punters short changed, promotion not a penny out of pocket as the mugs have handed over their cash. Just another night at the Speedway. We'll be back because were Speedway supporters. Well I'll tell the Workington promotion the same as I told The Mickey Mouse outfit at Peterborough, no we damn well won't. Four of us spent over £100 in their premises last night and were chucked out two thirds through a sporting event because THEY didn't have adequate medical cover. And that's not including fuel costs. They mess up, we pay. I didn't want to depress myself by counting up what the Peterborough farce cost.

At the risk of sound like a broken record, if I run my business like speedway, I'd be laughed out of town. And bankrupt. When I mess up, I've no mugs to bail me out. The begging bowl round the customers doesn't work in the real world.

Home meetings for us from now on, although I fancy a trip along the M8 to watch the auld enemy put one over Rye House.

Things might not be going their way right now, but weather permitting, they know how to put on 15 heats and I could watch young Anderson ride all day.

Best wishes to Kyle for a speedy recovery. That looked a mighty sore one.

What was Howarths Injury???

He seemed to catch his foot under his engine. Don't know how bad it is, but the poor guy was in agony.

• Like 4

It should be noted, the England v Italy game wasn't t called off when the England physio done his ankle in.

Dangerous Motorsport, high risk of serious injury, inadequate medical cover, punters short changed, promotion not a penny out of pocket as the mugs have handed over their cash. Just another night at the Speedway. We'll be back because were Speedway supporters. Well I'll tell the Workington promotion the same as I told The Mickey Mouse outfit at Peterborough, no we damn well won't. Four of us spent over £100 in their premises last night and were chucked out two thirds through a sporting event because THEY didn't have adequate medical cover. And that's not including fuel costs. They mess up, we pay. I didn't want to depress myself by counting up what the Peterborough farce cost.

At the risk of sound like a broken record, if I run my business like speedway, I'd be laughed out of town. And bankrupt. When I mess up, I've no mugs to bail me out. The begging bowl round the customers doesn't work in the real world.

Home meetings for us from now on, although I fancy a trip along the M8 to watch the auld enemy put one over Rye House.

Things might not be going their way right now, but weather permitting, they know how to put on 15 heats and I could watch young Anderson ride all day.

Best wishes to Kyle for a speedy recovery. That looked a mighty sore one.

He seemed to catch his foot under his engine. Don't know how bad it is, but the poor guy was in agony.

Agree with every word . Our sport is in trouble , big trouble . Crowds are dwindling at an alarming rate and yet promoters continue to treat it's paying customers with contempt .

The whole structure of our sport is in disarray with continued ill-thoughtout tinkering of the rules , but instead of coming up with a creditable plan to take speedway forward , they continue to find new ways of driving people away .

• Like 6

Well there were SOME idiots in the stand last night!! Fair enough boo the ref after the bike was on the side of the track and no red lights on, but why boo the Edinburgh riders?? What had they done wrong?

Oh and a small group of idiots near us obviously wanting to get home for the match telling Kyle to get up and stop being soft :shock:

I think Edinburgh would of won the meeting in the end and it was going to be a good finale so shame it ended that way, speedway fans are used to waiting around if a rider gets injured so I think we should of waited for another ambulance.

Get well soon Kyle!

Edited by Gaz