British Speedway Forum
Star Lady

Banning Dangerous Riders

See for yourself. From what I can tell though, most cerainly not Smolis fault.

Certainly looks like Watt ran himself out of room carrying to much speed into the bend. Smolinski not at fault at all

• Like 1

We have GP referees who can't work out how long to hold the tapes yet some think they would be fit to make decisions that could ruin a riders career. Hands up all those who want Margeret Vardy to decide whether they can go to work and earn a wage tomorrow!

Storm in a teacup that generated some publicity for the GP series.

• Like 3

It's a dangerous sport.. If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen

• Like 3

But would you happily race against Nicki Pedersen??

Yes although my board name is an accurate description of my size, you are unlikely to see me on a speedway bike!

Having watched the clip (in which Smolinski was not excluded for, by the way) I cannot see why he is getting tarred with the same brush as Pedersen. The distant camera angle is not conclusive but Smolinski does not appear to move off his line entering the bend. Certainly nothing like Pedersen v Zagar.

For me the worse thing about the Pedersen/Zagar incident was Niki's total lack of respect or interest in the rider he had just knocked off (wether intentionally or not). A raised hand of apology or a check to make sure he was OK would have at least maintained his stance that it was a racing incident. His attitude from the moment they crashed to the scenes in the pits was just unacceptable.

If you are going to ban riders for what happened in Olching then we may as well pack up and watch curling because there won't be any riders left.

If you are going to ban riders for what happened in Olching then we may as well pack up and watch curling because there won't be any riders left.

Lioness would like that. She'd be on the front row. :lol:

But would you happily race against Nicki Pedersen??

yes I would and it wouldn't bother me,seen a lot worse.

Dear me.. Talk about blowing things out of proportion again.

The sport has done just fine for 70 plus years without the need to ban riders for racing incidents. There have been hundreds of incidents over the years far worse than the Pedersen/Zagar incident that didn't produce anything like the hysteria.

I have only ever seen one rider blatantly deliberately fence another and that was Zagar so for him to bleat about it is hypocritical in the extreme.

Monster,BSI etc have cottoned on to some excellent marketing/publicity over all this.

Wouldn't be surprised if the whole twitter/media thing was "engineered" by BSI/Monster. Nice bit of needle between a Dane,and a Brit along with a couple of other well supported riders forming "Team Monster" is bound to cause a little flurry in ticket sales for the next couple of GP's - where are they being held again, and who's the series sponser?

You'd pay a lot more than, say 2 x 600 Euro fines for that sort of advertising or brand placement online and in the press. :P

This is all a storm in a tea cup which is whipping up a frenzy, these are skilled, professional riders we're talking about. You only have to see how each react when tragedy or serious injuries hit the sport, they all respect each other and unite. They may not all be mates, but there's no intention to do anything other than race when they line up against each other.

Don't really think they're wrong in drumming up a bit of a stir ahead of two big GP's though. Creates more excitement, anticipation and enjoyment for the fans The panto of it all is brilliant, some of the audience participation in this one has been hilarious :D

• Like 4

one man's hard and exciting rider is another man's dangerouse and dirty rider

• Like 2

Speedway referees are no different than referees in any other sport. By the nature of what the referee is there to do fans will always disagree with their decisions. Being human referees in all sports will make mistakes but football referees send players off and I see no reason why speedway referees should not do the same and exclude a rider from the remainder of a match for a blatantly dangerous move. Being excluded from a match twice in a season could result in a longer ban. Fortunately, such blatantly dangerous moves are rare. I witness very very few during a typical season.

Those who defend Pedersen and cite incidents involving other riders forget the most important point. Pedersen has a long and continuing history of involvement in such incidents. No other modern day rider gets even close to matching him.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

When you get onto a Speedway Bike, once you get going, once you commit to a move, it's nigh on impossible to pull out of that move. If Nicki had of knocked the throttle off instead of trying to complete that inside pass, it would have made the accident 10 times worse... I don't think Nicki is dirty, a tad risky, but I think Zagar actually threw the first fist or slap or whatever you want to call it.... I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but hey, they're grown men.....

Edited by Shale Searcher

Wouldn't be surprised if the whole twitter/media thing was "engineered" by BSI/Monster. Nice bit of needle between a Dane,and a Brit along with a couple of other well supported riders forming "Team Monster" is bound to cause a little flurry in ticket sales for the next couple of GP's - where are they being held again, and who's the series sponser?

You'd pay a lot more than, say 2 x 600 Euro fines for that sort of advertising or brand placement online and in the press. :P

This is all a storm in a tea cup which is whipping up a frenzy, these are skilled, professional riders we're talking about. You only have to see how each react when tragedy or serious injuries hit the sport, they all respect each other and unite. They may not all be mates, but there's no intention to do anything other than race when they line up against each other.

Don't really think they're wrong in drumming up a bit of a stir ahead of two big GP's though. Creates more excitement, anticipation and enjoyment for the fans The panto of it all is brilliant, some of the audience participation in this one has been hilarious :D

Spot on Wackie. I expect the Booing to be deafening at Cardiff now :D

Spot on Wackie. I expect the Booing to be deafening at Cardiff now :D

Ahh, not from me. I'm not a huge fan of Tai's, but I won't be booing him! :P

• Like 2

Lioness would like that. She'd be on the front row. :lol:

Nah Gem, I've had a taste of national success now - I'd be out on the ice (one way or another! - for those who know of my injury last season! lol) :D

• Like 1