British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Its a terrible trait often seen in speedway that promoters (some) come out and scorn the fans in general because not enough of them come to watch.

Exactly, I'm sure Phillips is just the most recent in a line who have displayed this, you have to be so careful in what you say and how you word things in businesses that rely on people through the door to survive and Speedway all too often has been lacking in this department, such things could easily have some who might be tempted to see what it's all about saying "stuff this, others attractions are more appreciative of my leisure spend"

Edited by david2905

i may be wrong here, but i believe all us making donations will be re-imbursed if it goes up the swanny?.....so my way of thinking is, donate money now, as money is the thing thats needed 1st 2nd and 3rd..without money, birmingham are finished..if its saved through donations, the questions and arguments can come later?

i may be wrong here, but i believe all us making donations will be re-imbursed if it goes up the swanny?.....so my way of thinking is, donate money now, as money is the thing thats needed 1st 2nd and 3rd..without money, birmingham are finished..if its saved through donations, the questions and arguments can come later?

The arguments have already started between fans and the former promotion. You can be assured the money won't go spent willy nilly. The commitee really have to have their heads screwed on to make sure what they have gets us up and running for next year.

The proposal is to clear the way for a new owner to have a fair start and not be compromised by an unfair advantage due to the previous promotion. If a new owner fails to bring Birmingham speedway to the tapes next season, then money will be handed back.

Remember everyone is just quessing what the debts actually are, only those in charge who have walked know the truth.

Edited by Deano

I personally feel, that the promoters that have walked away from Birmingham speedway should be made to pay for thier incompitnse. Why should they be allowede to get away with not paying the clubs rent at the stadium. If they have capitol, as I am sure they have from other busnisses that they are involved in, then they should be made to pay up for the mess they have left behind. Why should a new promoter be made to find the the money to clear off the debts of other that just walk away from it without a care in the world. If it leaves them pennyless then hard luck, after all they where still taking money off people that came through the gate at Birmingham right up until the final week. Plus they have people out there who have taken out season tickets. Have they re-paid those people and have the riders wages been paid. This is a mess that should be paid by the previous management and noone else. It is ridiculess the way that that people can get away from things like this and leave other people to clear up the mess they have left behind. For the said people to come out with thousands of pounds in bank accounts and they end up smelling of roses instead of the PIg S**t that they deserve to smell of.

• Like 3

The proposal is to clear the way for a new owner to have a fair start and not be compromised by an unfair advantage due to the previous promotion. If a new owner fails to bring Birmingham speedway to the tapes next season, then money will be handed back.

A great aim in theory to hand the money back if the Brummies don't come to the tapes and I hope it doesn't get to that stage.

But while the full wreckage of the Phillips regime remains to be unfolded, surely there are going to be some modest costs along the way while anyone else finds out whether Birmingham can resume in 2015 ... then, if it's not going to work out, you can't live up to that pledge to give everyone their money back because some of that money's been spent in good faith but, ultimately, in vain.

Increasingly I reckon everyone trying to drum up any sort of Brummies fighting fund probably needs to take a deep breath for a couple of weeks to let more details of the existing debts emerge.

There's been nothing to suggest the Brummies have any hope of resuming their 2014 fixtures so why the rush to gather up that fighting fund in double-quick time ? !! ... Monday's meeting at Belle Vue by all accounts had the current lineup's farewell written all over it, the BSPA have already been quoted about when that lineup will become free agents, Belle Vue have already been parachuted into Birmingham's trip to Leicester on Saturday and even Tony Mole has decided an immediate rescue's not for him.

Given there's 4 months to the BSPA annual general meeting setting up the 2015 season and then another 4 months to that season actually starting, it must be far better to spend the next few weeks finding out the depths of the current debt, starting the negotiations needed to bring goodwill back towards the Brummies and, most importantly of all, establishing a much more accurate view of how much money's needed so that the fundraising can be far more efficient than the current desperate scramble.

Yes, there's a lot of hard work ahead for the Brummies fans ... but well-thought-out hard work is usually much more successful and enjoyable than hastily-thrown-together hard work.

• Like 6

I am really surprised that as Birmingham Brummies Ltd being a relatively newly formed company that GRA didn't ask for personal guarantees or that lease be taken out in individual names as opposed to a Limited Company

I personally feel, that the promoters that have walked away from Birmingham speedway should be made to pay for thier incompitnse. Why should they be allowede to get away with not paying the clubs rent at the stadium. If they have capitol, as I am sure they have from other busnisses that they are involved in, then they should be made to pay up for the mess they have left behind. Why should a new promoter be made to find the the money to clear off the debts of other that just walk away from it without a care in the world. If it leaves them pennyless then hard luck, after all they where still taking money off people that came through the gate at Birmingham right up until the final week. Plus they have people out there who have taken out season tickets. Have they re-paid those people and have the riders wages been paid. This is a mess that should be paid by the previous management and noone else. It is ridiculess the way that that people can get away from things like this and leave other people to clear up the mess they have left behind. For the said people to come out with thousands of pounds in bank accounts and they end up smelling of roses instead of the PIg S**t that they deserve to smell of.

A reasonable thought on paper but it doesn't quite work that way in company law. IMO no chance of anything like that happening.

A great aim in theory to hand the money back if the Brummies don't come to the tapes and I hope it doesn't get to that stage.

But while the full wreckage of the Phillips regime remains to be unfolded, surely there are going to be some modest costs along the way while anyone else finds out whether Birmingham can resume in 2015 ... then, if it's not going to work out, you can't live up to that pledge to give everyone their money back because some of that money's been spent in good faith but, ultimately, in vain.

Increasingly I reckon everyone trying to drum up any sort of Brummies fighting fund probably needs to take a deep breath for a couple of weeks to let more details of the existing debts emerge.

There's been nothing to suggest the Brummies have any hope of resuming their 2014 fixtures so why the rush to gather up that fighting fund in double-quick time ? !! ... Monday's meeting at Belle Vue by all accounts had the current lineup's farewell written all over it, the BSPA have already been quoted about when that lineup will become free agents, Belle Vue have already been parachuted into Birmingham's trip to Leicester on Saturday and even Tony Mole has decided an immediate rescue's not for him.

Given there's 4 months to the BSPA annual general meeting setting up the 2015 season and then another 4 months to that season actually starting, it must be far better to spend the next few weeks finding out the depths of the current debt, starting the negotiations needed to bring goodwill back towards the Brummies and, most importantly of all, establishing a much more accurate view of how much money's needed so that the fundraising can be far more efficient than the current desperate scramble.

Yes, there's a lot of hard work ahead for the Brummies fans ... but well-thought-out hard work is usually much more successful and enjoyable than hastily-thrown-together hard work.

Why wait weeks to think about it, when the whole thing has sunk in and the momentum has died down?

Strike while the iron is hot. Within a week a lot of people will have their holidays to look forward to and perhaps would think twice about donating.

We want our team back, why wait.

charles Phillips has said the debt is £50k by the way. Unpaid riders wages is included in that.

Edited by Deano

Does each promotion have to lodge a bond with the BSPA also what rider assets does the current company own ?

So what is happening now ?

Charles Phillips says he has an investor willing to split the debt with him on the proviso this investor gets his money back at the end of the season.

The thing is do we trust him? Is he telling the truth or more half truths?

Charles Phillips says he has an investor willing to split the debt with him on the proviso this investor gets his money back at the end of the season.

I'm in on that deal too! If I make money I win. If we lose money then Phillips has to give it back.

Ok so I've been told we're having a meeting with him where and when ?

Surely he has nothing to gain from lying at this point ?

Ok so I've been told we're having a meeting with him where and when ?

Surely he has nothing to gain from lying at this point ?

I don't know,where or when the meeting is, I'm not on the committee.

If I find out I'll let you know.

The thing is redandyellow Charles and his dad consistently denied having any debt. They have both mismanaged the business and blamed everyone but themselves. You are right, he has nothing to gain from lying, but something isn't sitting right with me.