British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

I've heard the old "lets get some of the local Poles going to speedway and the crowds will increase" Mullarkey before!

In reality its a huge myth that all Poles are interested in speedway cause they aren't. Older fans like myself will remember that even in speedways glory years when crowds rivalled football there was still a sizeable % of folks who looked at speedway as a dirty nuisance!

Most Poles over here are here for one thing and that's to earn and save enough money so they can send it back to Poland where they get more there money out there. Spending what to them is a small fortune at speedway is not on their agenda!

Like Vince says while its understandable people will be dubious of the Phillips what alternative is there?

I'm a firm believer in that when a speedway promotion starts a season they should finish it. I remember Newcastle disasterous elevation to the top flight in 1984 when they lost a packet and folded at the end of the season but the late great Ian Thomas finished the season!

The Phillips run successful businesses so therefore I think should pay of there debts and then let someone else, Probably Tony Mole take over, which would be a good scenario!

Hopefully we'll here some positive news tomorrow?

Thats im, whatever appened to im?

I've got him in my garage and I'm getting my own back on him for all the lies he said about me giving 'oily massages'.

Forgot to add if anyone is interested send me a private message. Rates are £50 per hour. £30 if you bring your own oil. But please no used speedway engine oil this time as it's just too messy.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

Cheers mate, problem is many on here talk text and kids speak. If they wrote the posts properly, then we'd all have a idea whats going on. Status Quo remains then..

Perhaps best book a more modern band to catch the `kids` vote. :P

Edited by stevebrum

Announced on BBC Wm that Charles Phillips has had his licence anulled by the BSPA. BSPA are running the club

Despite this the BSPA say "great efforts" being made to makesure club sees out the season.

Edited by Brummie Kev

THE British Speedway Promoters’ Association can confirm the annulment of Birmingham Brummies Ltd, the Birmingham Speedway promotion.

This is a decision made in accordance with the speedway regulations.

However, the BSPA would also like to stress great efforts will continue to be made to see the continuation of the sport at Perry Barr Stadium.

Chairman Alex Harkess said: “The Speedway Control Bureau, at the recommendation of the BSPA, has informed the current Birmingham management of the decision to annul.

“However, there are great efforts being made on a private and confidential basis to give the club every chance of concluding the season.”

I'm a firm believer in that when a speedway promotion starts a season they should finish it. I remember Newcastle disasterous elevation to the top flight in 1984 when they lost a packet and folded at the end of the season but the late great Ian Thomas finished the season!

It is actually against the law to carry on trading a ltd company when it is clearly insolvent. Directors are not responsible for the unsecured debts of a ltd company but they can become liable if it is clear they continued to trade and accumulate debt with no prospect of getting back in the "black"

In any case the quarterly VAT bill is usually the breaker, although not quite as hostile as they used to be, they will want their pound of flesh

In any case the quarterly VAT bill is usually the breaker, although not quite as hostile as they used to be, they will want their pound of flesh

To almost all Speedway promotions the VAT quarter is usually a welcome cash injection, not a bill

• Like 1

To almost all Speedway promotions the VAT quarter is usually a welcome cash injection, not a bill

It probably really is. All the riders will be VAT registered so their payments will all be plus VAT.

How does it work in the case of foreign riders who's ltd companies are registered overseas. I presume they are paid the VAT in the normal way which will be recovered (or not) by HMRC quarterly ?

If they are not uk vat registered I dont think they can chsrge vat. They wouldn't be able to charge foreign vat or equivalent, as the work is performed in the uk.

(Above assumes same rules apply as do in nz for gst, our vat equivalent)

Sad that the official announcement confirms its over for the Brummies this year.

Lessons need to be learned and people ensure with Speedway knowledge are involved in bringing it back.

Sad that the official announcement confirms its over for the Brummies this year.

Lessons need to be learned and people ensure with Speedway knowledge are involved in bringing it back.

Overcoming the GRA will be the big obstacle. Will there even be a usable race track left in Perry Barr by next year?

Overcoming the GRA will be the big obstacle. Will there even be a usable race track left in Perry Barr by next year?

I`m sure once the debts to them are paid up they have had a relative decent relationship with the club up to this season so hopefully that will go in there favour.

Whilst you may well be correct, the announcement doesn't actually say that!!!!

ps. on the subject of VAT, I think all the VAT rules change next year, which could have quite an effect on many businesses.