British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

But still expect the fans just to roll up every meeting???

That's not the fans' fault. It's the fault of whoever put the team together in the first place.

The alternative is no Speedway at all at that club. I know which id pick.

The people who don't go don't care if it closes.

The ones who already go do care.

It really is that simple

Of course its that simple. However the stay aways seem to have some perverse pleasure in wanting to see it fail.

Each to there own i suppose.

Desperate news for all concerned with the Brummies speedway.

I'm genuinely gutted for the true fans and riders. :sad:

Let's hope there is some way back in 2015 to see speedway racing again at Perry Barr.

Edited by Poole Quay 7

I feel so sorry for the Brummie fans there is NO doubt this is a blow for British Speedway, that the 2nd city does not have a Speedway Team.

In my opinion the Phillips family have a lot to be accountable for. Its my honest opinion that they barely had 2 pennies to put into the Team for 2014, they relied entirely on putting of paying bills for as long as they could, they paid riders late, they didnt pay rent when it was due, and they told blatant lies to supporters and probably the BSPA (Birmingham Speedway is debt free) that being the most blatant. It seems to me they relied entirely on these late payments combined with advances (Sky Money) and season ticket money to continue for as long as they could, when these monies ran out, they tried right up until the day before Philips announcement, to lie, bluster and basically tell untruths about the Brummie situation, The BSPA has to accept it is to blame in a small way, firstly by not insisting that Brum had an experienced person helping them run the Speedway, and secondly by not investigating the Brummie financial situation before it got so bad.

Hopefully Birmingham Speedway can return in 2015, that has to be the main focus of the BSPA and Brummie supporters now.

• Like 2

WITH deep regret the British Speedway Promoters' Association can confirm the closure of Birmingham Brummies with immediate effect.

Great efforts have been made by several people to ensure the team could continue racing until the end of the season but sadly this has not proved possible.

BSPA Chairman Alex Harkess said: "I'm gutted about this outcome, but sadly there is no alternative.

"When I met with the loyal group of Birmingham supporters last week I believed there was genuine hope, but sadly things have changed over the last few days.

"As an association, we have done everything possible to try and ensure the continuation of speedway but with no promoter willing to take the club forward I'm afraid the club is now closed for business.

"I feel for the Birmingham riders and supporters who have been a real credit through this ordeal and we all hope this is not the last time we see speedway at Perry Barr Stadium."

Hmm, very sad news for all Brummies fans, i feel very sorry for you. In the BSPA statement it states that Harkness attended a meeting with Brummies supporters, on reading this, this is the first ive heard of it, as to my knowledge nothing was put on here about it. Can anybody who went to that meeting shed any light on that, and what was said ?

I feel so sorry for the Brummie fans there is NO doubt this is a blow for British Speedway, that the 2nd city does not have a Speedway Team.

In my opinion the Phillips family have a lot to be accountable for. Its my honest opinion that they barely had 2 pennies to put into the Team for 2014, they relied entirely on putting of paying bills for as long as they could, they paid riders late, they didnt pay rent when it was due, and they told blatant lies to supporters and probably the BSPA (Birmingham Speedway is debt free) that being the most blatant. It seems to me they relied entirely on these late payments combined with advances (Sky Money) and season ticket money to continue for as long as they could, when these monies ran out, they tried right up until the day before Philips announcement, to lie, bluster and basically tell untruths about the Brummie situation, The BSPA has to accept it is to blame in a small way, firstly by not insisting that Brum had an experienced person helping them run the Speedway, and secondly by not investigating the Brummie financial situation before it got so bad.

Hopefully Birmingham Speedway can return in 2015, that has to be the main focus of the BSPA and Brummie supporters now.

Think you've summed it up correctly.

Phillips family hugely to blame, but BSPA should have insisted on an experienced promoter overseeing things once the Drury's had bailed out, and generally kept a closer eye on things.

Gutted for the Brummies' fans especially people like Brian Buck and all those who put their hand in their pockets to quickly establish a fighting fund. Hope we see you all back next season.

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 5

Bang on, Birmingham Speedway had plenty of issues, but non insurmountable, apart from an incompetent and lying owner, who despite allegedly being an accountant, took us into a mess even a year 4 maths class could see would wreck any possible future if persisted with in the same manner.

Hmm, very sad news for all Brummies fans, i feel very sorry for you. In the BSPA statement it states that Harkness attended a meeting with Brummies supporters, on reading this, this is the first ive heard of it, as to my knowledge nothing was put on here about it. Can anybody who went to that meeting shed any light on that, and what was said ?

Unless I'm mistaken, that meeting was effectively to tell supporters the true state of play at that time, given no one no longer believed anything spewing out of Phillips towers as genuine.

Unless I'm mistaken, that meeting was effectively to tell supporters the true state of play at that time, given no one no longer believed anything spewing out of Phillips towers as genuine.

Thats not what i was asking. I was asking, did any fan actually go to this meeting?

The main problem now is that unless somebody pays the outstanding debts to the landlord, ts unlikely that any future promoter will be accepted by the GRA.

Thats not what i was asking. I was asking, did any fan actually go to this meeting?

Yes. Fans involved with the fighting fund attended and so too did Phil Morris.

• Like 1

The main problem now is that unless somebody pays the outstanding debts to the landlord, ts unlikely that any future promoter will be accepted by the GRA.

If it has gone bust they are not allowed to pay one one debt off and ignore others.

Just for you Starry:-

http://www.brummiespeedway.net/forum/index.php?topic=9297.0

Coventry Press Release:

COVENTRY are pleased to announce they will honour Birmingham Speedway season tickets for the remainder of the regular Elite League season.

The Perry Barr club has regrettably closed for 2014 after attempts to ensure they could continue racing proved unsuccessful, and Coventry wish to give the loyal Brummies fans at least some consolation and value for their financial outlay over the winter.

The Buildbase Bees have nine home fixtures remaining, and Brummies season ticket holders will be welcomed with free admission for those meetings. Our next Elite League meeting is this Friday (July 18) against Belle Vue.

Match programmes (and admission to play-off meetings if appropriate) will be chargeable at the usual prices.

To take advantage of this offer, please send an e-mail to info@coventrybees.co with your name, address, category of season ticket and your season ticket number.

These details will be collated and a list placed at the Bees’ usual season-ticket entrance so that your name can be ticked off when you arrive at Brandon.

What a fantastic gesture by the Bees promotion :t:

• Like 3

Coventry Press Release:

COVENTRY are pleased to announce they will honour Birmingham Speedway season tickets for the remainder of the regular Elite League season.

The Perry Barr club has regrettably closed for 2014 after attempts to ensure they could continue racing proved unsuccessful, and Coventry wish to give the loyal Brummies fans at least some consolation and value for their financial outlay over the winter.

The Buildbase Bees have nine home fixtures remaining, and Brummies season ticket holders will be welcomed with free admission for those meetings. Our next Elite League meeting is this Friday (July 18) against Belle Vue.

Match programmes (and admission to play-off meetings if appropriate) will be chargeable at the usual prices.

To take advantage of this offer, please send an e-mail to info@coventrybees.co with your name, address, category of season ticket and your season ticket number.

These details will be collated and a list placed at the Bees’ usual season-ticket entrance so that your name can be ticked off when you arrive at Brandon.

What a lovely offer to fans who must really be hurting at the moment.

• Like 3