British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

... Brummies fans who became disillusioned with the way their speedway team were being run.

Bluejam alluded to a more fundamental problem in his post a few pages back. He and a few others of us used to follow the Brummies home and away for years. In the days when I did the Twitter Updates I went to 100% of the meetings for more than 2 years and only missed a meeting if I was on holiday. Almost all of us who were such devotees have since pretty much given the entire sport in the UK a wide berth now.

There's more to it than just how the Brummies were run. Speedway itself has become a "toxic brand". It seems that the closer you get to the sport the more repulsed you feel at the behind-the-scenes politics, ineptitude and dirty tricks that go on at all levels of the sport to the point when you just become so fed up with it all that you pack the sport up not just your team. So as well as it applies to those more directly at fault, thank you to the British Speedway establishment for your part in fans no longer going through the turnstiles at Birmingham.

• Like 9

Bluejam alluded to a more fundamental problem in his post a few pages back. He and a few others of us used to follow the Brummies home and away for years. In the days when I did the Twitter Updates I went to 100% of the meetings for more than 2 years and only missed a meeting if I was on holiday. Almost all of us who were such devotees have since pretty much given the entire sport in the UK a wide berth now.

There's more to it than just how the Brummies were run. Speedway itself has become a "toxic brand". It seems that the closer you get to the sport the more repulsed you feel at the behind-the-scenes politics, ineptitude and dirty tricks that go on at all levels of the sport to the point when you just become so fed up with it all that you pack the sport up not just your team. So as well as it applies to those more directly at fault, thank you to the British Speedway establishment for your part in fans no longer going through the turnstiles at Birmingham.

100% correct.................yep I said 100% CORRECT

One of these days you're gonna tell me all this, dunno if I wanna know or not!!

Martin,

i know you to be a very well informed, articulate and dedicated Brummies supporter. I too look to be losing my local track unless something extraordinary happens over the winter.

I trust Brian was still attending to the end although unfortunately my working in London meant I never caught up with you at Perry Barr this season.

I am prepared to travel to watch (potentially) decent meetings and I hope you will still too in the UK, as going to Poalnd evey week would be a little costly.

Not sure if you had a season ticket this year but if so why not take advantage of the offers by other tracks.

We can ill-afford to lose supporters like you.

head up...if Tony Mole can get the Brummies back next season I will ensure I make as many visits as I can in support. (NB sincerely hope it's PL)

m

One of these days you're gonna tell me all this, dunno if I wanna know or not!!

Stay ignorant of it and just enjoy your Speedway.... :t:

• Like 5

100% correct.................yep I said 100% CORRECT

Blimey there's hope for us all! :P

Next!

Edited by BeoBrummie

Martin,

i know you to be a very well informed, articulate and dedicated Brummies supporter. I too look to be losing my local track unless something extraordinary happens over the winter.

I trust Brian was still attending to the end although unfortunately my working in London meant I never caught up with you at Perry Barr this season.

I am prepared to travel to watch (potentially) decent meetings and I hope you will still too in the UK, as going to Poalnd evey week would be a little costly.

Not sure if you had a season ticket this year but if so why not take advantage of the offers by other tracks.

We can ill-afford to lose supporters like you.

head up...if Tony Mole can get the Brummies back next season I will ensure I make as many visits as I can in support. (NB sincerely hope it's PL)

m

Hi Mike - if I can add my input, I dont know many Birmingham Supporters who wanted Elite Speedway, the team / club were promoted without winning any 7 a side competition - (as Leicester), the Premier Lge was entertaining/enjoyable and fruitful..The day the Elite entered our midst was the beginning of the end, the Elite is a dying competition imo - and UK's words confirm my own thinking.

Blimey there's hope for us all! :P

Next!

Next what?

Can I request that all Birmingham Speedway Posts etc be transferred to a different speedway topic as they no longer have a team or track, Speedway News and Discussions would be a suitable place for the rest of 2014

Absolutely, rock up at 7pm - watch the racing - roll out at 9.30pm.

Anything else is just those big hairy man danglers

• Like 1

Can I request that all Birmingham Speedway Posts etc be transferred to a different speedway topic as they no longer have a team or track, Speedway News and Discussions would be a suitable place for the rest of 2014

There's a thread open - "Birmingham - The Future?"

Edited by BeoBrummie

Hi Mike - if I can add my input, I dont know many Birmingham Supporters who wanted Elite Speedway, the team / club were promoted without winning any 7 a side competition - (as Leicester), the Premier Lge was entertaining/enjoyable and fruitful..The day the Elite entered our midst was the beginning of the end, the Elite is a dying competition imo - and UK's words confirm my own thinking.

Next what?

Seems a bit harsh to me.

Nowt like rubbing it in. :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 3

Seems a bit harsh to me.

Nowt like rubbing it in. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Stan is a Brummie through and through - I doubt he was trying to rub things in and I do agree - we are finished this year in the EL - seems like a good idea to transfer further postings to news and discussions.

• Like 1

Stan is a Brummie through and through - I doubt he was trying to rub things in and I do agree - we are finished this year in the EL - seems like a good idea to transfer further postings to news and discussions.

Fair enough - I just thought it seemed harsh. I sincerely hope that the 'Brummies' can join us in the Premier League next Season.

My apologies.

• Like 1

So as well as it applies to those more directly at fault, thank you to the British Speedway establishment for your part in fans no longer going through the turnstiles at Birmingham.

Spot on UKM, you've typed some tosh on here over the years, but you are 100% correct here.

Allowing a promotion who were clearly not fit for purpose to pull the wool over your eyes is shocking miss-management, in properly run sports it would see heads roll!

• Like 1

Top advice.