British Speedway Forum

What makes anyone think that the Premier League would welcome either Birmingham or Eastbourne into their ranks. There are already enough teams in the Premier and to add two more would make the fixture load untenable, as they have other competitions in the season as well as the league, not like the Elite with just one boring competition, where if you don't make the Play-Offs your season is over.

The Premier league may have problems of its own, but they could turn round and tell the Elite to go and stew in the mess they have made for themselves.

• Like 2

I think I count as an old f**t fan watching it for 40ys

I also think some good comments have been made 8 teams home and away break in the season

why not but for alot of older and new fans want a team of riders they know not chopping and changing

all the time.

As some one else said 15 heats 7 riders in a team and a b****y good night of speedway

It's not me suggesting they should. Have another read of GRW's list, #3.

I'm not against the two set nights for EL racing, Friday and Saturday, to allow parents to bring their kids without having to worry about school the next day.

If the stadiums are avaialble (dogs on Thursdays?) Thursday & Friday should work. Saturday would present problems due to GP's and Polish clubs insisting on their riders being avaialble for practice - which unless the EL clubs match the pay on offer (not something they should do given the financial situation of UK speedway) we should accept the riders will need to be in Poland.

What makes anyone think that the Premier League would welcome either Birmingham or Eastbourne into their ranks. There are already enough teams in the Premier and to add two more would make the fixture load untenable, as they have other competitions in the season as well as the league, not like the Elite with just one boring competition, where if you don't make the Play-Offs your season is over.

The Premier league may have problems of its own, but they could turn round and tell the Elite to go and stew in the mess they have made for themselves.

Hopefully they wouldn't be as selfish as you and would prefer to see tracks stay open. If the PL accepted a couple more tracks it could perhaps do away with the nonsensical 'extra' fixtures.

• Like 6

If the stadiums are avaialble (dogs on Thursdays?) Thursday & Friday should work. Saturday would present problems due to GP's and Polish clubs insisting on their riders being avaialble for practice - which unless the EL clubs match the pay on offer (not something they should do given the financial situation of UK speedway) we should accept the riders will need to be in Poland.

Yes, makes sense but Friday UK meetings are being affected by riders being required to attend practice for Saturday FIM events

I hope so but I just cant see how promoters can make money anymore. If the promoters are not making money then there is no point in running just to break even at the end of the season or for some promoters to make losses.

Promoters must make some money, and that applies to PL/NL as well.

Lets not forget that several PL clubs have declared worrying times money wise in recent seasons so it doesn't just apply to the EL.

Yes, makes sense but Friday UK meetings are being affected by riders being required to attend practice for Saturday FIM event

Time to get rid of GP riders and foreigners who dont want to ride here as their priority , Miss 1 meeting for an overseas commitment goodbye ... close the door on the Australian training scheme and get back to regular speedway each week without guests making up for absentees , never mind single race nights nights and pandering to BSI , look after British Speedway first , and let the GP be a bonus for TV viewing not the tail wagging the dog

• Like 9

The PL promoters have been doing that for years - and there are more of them to outvote any EL proposals for the benefit of the sport overall - or just to save the EL in any form!!

I believe the EL (6 to 8 teams only) should separate from the BSPA and be run by someone like BSI or similar, with a major sponsor such as Monster or Red Bull and TV coverage guaranteed, to get the top riders back.

The BSPA should then be purely for PL/NL clubs. EL clubs could also run a PL/NL team - at their choice - if there was a need for more fixtures in their respective rental agreements with their stadium owners. No doubling up and maybe only limited crossover of riders in the respective leagues eg Only the 3 lowest averaged EL riders allowed to ride in their PL/NL team.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Part two of the cookie plan is that for 2015, the MDL is to be rebranded as the EL, all riders are to have Team suits, and matching bike covers, admission will be limited to £20, and the crowds will love it.!!!

kids go football night games, so why speedway any different?

Well yes, kids do go to evening football matches, but not as many as to Saturday or Sunday afternoon games. The object of the exercise has to be to get more people through the gates and I know a person or two who stopped going when their kids got to school age and I'd bet many others on here do too. For some I suppose cost is/was the factor but for others it's school the next day.

One of speedway's problems is getting lapsed supporters back through the turnstiles so giving them less reasons to lapse has to be a step forward.

Well yes, kids do go to evening football matches, but not as many as to Saturday or Sunday afternoon games. The object of the exercise has to be to get more people through the gates and I know a person or two who stopped going when their kids got to school age and I'd bet many others on here do too. For some I suppose cost is/was the factor but for others it's school the next day.

One of speedway's problems is getting lapsed supporters back through the turnstiles so giving them less reasons to lapse has to be a step forward.

Just a question. Do those Premier League clubs that run at the weekend get massive gates, bearing in mind the Kids aren't at school..????

Kids are important, but they are not the governing factor. The sport needs supporters through the gates, but most of all they want those supporters who pay full whack to get in.

Just a question. Do those Premier League clubs that run at the weekend get massive gates, bearing in mind the Kids aren't at school..????

Kids are important, but they are not the governing factor. The sport needs supporters through the gates, but most of all they want those supporters who pay full whack to get in.

Today's kids are tomorrow's adults. Who in speedway gets 'massive' gates these days? Kids don't come on their own, a full-whack payer or two usually accompanies them.

• Like 1

Surely, the first priority is to stop the existing supporters leaving the sport in droves first? As you cannot easily fill a bath with the plug out? Let's get the plug securely in place first....??

• Like 4

However many teams the EL has, each team MUST have a tie up with a PL club (possibly 2 if numbers permit) preferably run their own NL team or at least the equivilant of the MDL. All guests/replacements must come from those clubs and the team average cannot go over whatever is the ball park figure. PL should either run their own NL side (or their EL club has one) or if that's not possible have a tie up with one of the independent NLclubs. It might lead to uneven teams for a season or so but we have that now. At least the guests etc would have loyalty to the higher level club they are guesting for and the fans could have the feeling that they are "our" riders. Who knows it might even mean a few Brits actually progressing and we all want that.

Replacing number 1s in the EL is not easy so a pool of non EL riders who are willing to do the odd guest appearance in the case of an EL team having 2 of the top 3 riders out with injury. Prior commitments etc are not a reason to bring in a guest from the pool and only so many such substitutes allowed per season.

I know the above is very simplistic but it should appeal to the BSPA because it's cheap :)

• Like 1

I know the above is very simplistic but it should appeal to the BSPA AND because it's cheap :)

Sorry Star Lady!! but It had to be edited :rofl::rofl: :rofl: