British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Eastbourne V King's Lynn 05/07/14

I believe this should be the case aswell.As in football you are champions in the leagues below the Premier league if you finish top and you get a trophy for your efforts.And then there is the play-offs to which the winners also get a trophy everyone's happy are they not.

But that's in promotion / relegation, completely different circumstances. The top teams don't get involved in the PlayOffs

But that's in promotion / relegation, completely different circumstances. The top teams don't get involved in the PlayOffs

Yes I know.What I was trying to say is it just seems worthy that the team who comes out on top gets rewarded at least a trophy at the end of the season for their efforts.And then enter the play-offs to see who wins.

Maybe with speedeway in such a state at the moment an extra trophy is not affordable.

Maybe finishing top should be rewarded with a cash bonus. No point in being awarded a meaningless trophy

Yes I know.What I was trying to say is it just seems worthy that the team who comes out on top gets rewarded at least a trophy at the end of the season for their efforts.And then enter the play-offs to see who wins.

Maybe with speedeway in such a state at the moment an extra trophy is not affordable.

Offer a trophy for topping the table it will be automatically deemed as winning. It isn't. Finishing top gives you choice of semi final opponents and the 2nd leg in the final. Trophies are for winners and in Speedway topping the table makes you a qualifier. That's it, need to get your heads around it and be prepared for disappointment.

Maybe finishing top should be rewarded with a cash bonus. No point in being awarded a meaningless trophy

I like the idea of a reward for finishing top.

However the only trophy that MEANS anything is the Play off title

Edited by stevebrum

That's certainly an option, the higher up the table the larger proportion of the league finances from sponsorship etc

• Like 1

Of course, perhaps again it could be sponsored, I'd love to think it could be sponsored by the fans, £1 a piece every year or whatever people want, nice lil bonus for the team eh!

Supporters Elite League Trophy?

Is this topic about Eastbourne vs Kings Lynn or about who can win the league and the play offs? If its the latter then the topic name needs to be changed! Dont wish to be rude but can we actually discuss the meeting??

• Like 4

Is this topic about Eastbourne vs Kings Lynn or about who can win the league and the play offs? If its the latter then the topic name needs to be changed! Dont wish to be rude but can we actually discuss the meeting??

Not being rude but if there were some Eastbourne fans around to discuss the meeting then it would be. It's not easy talking to yourself

• Like 3

What have you to say then Sophie's Mate about the meeting? Meanwhile does it really matter if the thread goes off on a tangent?

Offer a trophy for topping the table it will be automatically deemed as winning. It isn't. Finishing top gives you choice of semi final opponents and the 2nd leg in the final. Trophies are for winners and in Speedway topping the table makes you a qualifier. That's it, need to get your heads around it and be prepared for disappointment.

You seem to forget that we've been there before so I'm sure everyone knows the relevance of the play-offs!

I'm not anti play off - as an extra to the season its great (well, for 4 teams) but it just seems crazy to devote a whole season of 36 matches purely as a qualifier to an end of season 4-week knock-out tournament. Its really just the KO Cup with another name so why not call it that and let the winners of the league be just that.

You seem to forget that we've been there before so I'm sure everyone knows the relevance of the play-offs!

I'm not anti play off - as an extra to the season its great (well, for 4 teams) but it just seems crazy to devote a whole season of 36 matches purely as a qualifier to an end of season 4-week knock-out tournament. Its really just the KO Cup with another name so why not call it that and let the winners of the league be just that.

If the PlayOffs became the KO Cup the fans and riders would treat it with contempt. The PlayOffs bring terrific crowds for the hosting teams.

The PlayOffs are nothing but a positive for Speedway

• Like 2

If the PlayOffs became the KO Cup the fans and riders would treat it with contempt. The PlayOffs bring terrific crowds for the hosting teams.

Don't see why - the riders like the play-offs because it means more rides thus more earnings, so what does it matter what you call it?

And I'm not actually suggesting the name be changed just saying that the playoffs are in fact nothing more than an end of season knockout cup for the top 4 teams. Surely fans aren't so fickle that they wouldn't be interested if it was called something else?!?

I'm with you on this 100%. The league competition is the bread and butter of any sport where fans go and support their team every week. Some clown poster has said the league is only a qualifier for a 4 team knock-out at the end of the season. How ridiculous. Our sport is in totally disarray and now fans are believing the league is that unimportant. Can you wonder why the fans are not turning up.

Just because a team wins a four team knock out doesn't make them the best of the season, it's the team at the top of the league that was the best. Looking at last years season, Birmingham were the stand out team and stood at the No1 the whole time. Just because a team, who were at times languishing in the lower regions, had the contact and money to bring in star riders, winning the Play-offs shouldn't diminish what the Brummies achieved. Probably, Just probably, had Birmingham been league champions they might still be solvent and fans would still be attaining.

Readers will no doubt be saying, this is my opinion because Lynn are at the top of the league. Far from it. I'm not fickle, and don't need trophies for me to support a team. This play-off idea was perpetrated by SKY purely for their benefit. to make good tele. Yes, it creates excitement, it generates support, and yes, it's a money spinner. But why should it be detrimental to the league racing. Imagine Man Utd topping the league and the trophy being given to Wigan cos they won the FA Cup. That how stupid the idea is.

In 12 years the Play-offs how many times has the league winner won the champions trophy. That will tell you how wrong this idea is. Yes, I know they are the rules, yes I known we compete like this each year, but don't anybody tell me it is right.......

The only people that are treated with contempt is the fans and that can never be positive...........

• Like 1

Marc Owen guests in place of Lewis Rose this evening.