British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Edinburgh Or Arena Essex

Maybe down to the Newcy track!

(Only joking!)

60 against this team, Chewy i think you may have been smoking the `bacca!!!

He could be right, though. The '82 Diamonds were monsters at home, they won the home leg of the cup final against a good Ellesmere Port team by something like 73-23!

All the best

Rob

Ive been watching Speedway since 1976 and it can only be those who watch through rose tinted specs that think this Edinburgh side is better than the Newcastle side of 1982. They had 6 heat leaders in that side

Don't think this current Edinburgh team wouldn't even touch the Hackney Kestrels team of 1988 who won 26 of their 30 league matches and won the koc as well.

Team was Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Alan Mogridge, Paul Whittaker, Barry Thomas & Garry Rolls.

Don't think this current Edinburgh team wouldn't even touch the Hackney Kestrels team of 1988 who won 26 of their 30 league matches and won the koc as well.

Team was Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Alan Mogridge, Paul Whittaker, Barry Thomas & Garry Rolls.

The current Edinburgh side would win easily

At Glasgow today , Edinburgh equalled the unbeaten record of the wonderful Arena Essex side of 1991 . I know times have changed and i admire the brilliant start the Monarchs have had , but are Cook , Masters and co really the equal of Brian Karger , Bo Petersen and that fantastic side of 1991 , which Glasgow took to a replay in the KO Cup final of that year

Ooo, you are awful, but I like ya! :P ..go on then I'll take a nibble. In my opinion this Edinburgh side aren't even the equal of that 1991 Tigers team, never mind the Hammers, in fact they they aren't the equal of more than a few Moanarchs teams of the past. They are a great team in the current PL climate, but as we all know the second tier has progressively got weaker and you can only beat what's in front of you. Obviously the days of three genuine heat leaders, a couple of second string-come-heat leaders and solid reserves are long gone. You will always get the age old argument of how hard it is to compare teams from different eras, so lets just say this current Edinburgh line-up is a great team of it's day.

• Like 3

I don't think the current Edinburgh team are anywhere near the strongest team there has been in the middle league. But that's what is so good about them. They win because they ride as a team, not because they are a bunch of superstars.

The Newcastle team of the seventies was built to something like a 50 limit and even then Ian Thomas had pulled a fast one by using riders from the higher league with lowish assessed averages. In the Arena team of 1991, Karger and Pedersen were near World class riders parachuted down to a lower level.

Edinburgh may or may not win things in the end this year, the situation is set up to allow chance after chance to teams who started by building teams that haven't worked. No-one can take away our 23 match unbeaten run though achieved by, not a powerhous team, but a REAL TEAM.

• Like 5

I don't think the current Edinburgh team are anywhere near the strongest team there has been in the middle league. But that's what is so good about them. They win because they ride as a team, not because they are a bunch of superstars.

The Newcastle team of the seventies was built to something like a 50 limit and even then Ian Thomas had pulled a fast one by using riders from the higher league with lowish assessed averages. In the Arena team of 1991, Karger and Pedersen were near World class riders parachuted down to a lower level.

Edinburgh may or may not win things in the end this year, the situation is set up to allow chance after chance to teams who started by building teams that haven't worked. No-one can take away our 23 match unbeaten run though achieved by, not a powerhous team, but a REAL TEAM.

What he said :approve:

What Al said drill a smug mentality in your team and it's easy after that. :approve:

Al Stewart, I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I didn't identify Edinburgh as the team to beat this year; I thought keeping Cookie had left you too top heavy. You're not got a powerhouse team who everyone predicted to win the league before the start of the season, in contrast to e.g. Newcastle in 1982 (that was the year Joe Owen and Bobby Beaton came in on 7.50 assessed averages, despite the fact Joe had a 7.00+ BL average in 1981!!).

There's several times where you've come within a few races of being beaten, only to pull it out of the fire.

It's why I also think the Premier League isn't over yet this year, especially when it comes to the play-offs. Edinburgh aren't that much stronger than everyone else. They can be beaten.

For me, Newcastle '82 will remain the strongest side put together at this level. But it will be interesting to see how far the unbeaten run of the 2014 Monarchs can be stretched.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Newcastle ended that season with a combined average of 54.13 and that was with a #7 averaging 1.71

The top 6 scored 19 full maximums and 16 paid maximums between them.

Cookie is good but he's not Joe Owen

• Like 1

Well I think we've equalled the record (some may correct me) so our next meeting is Workington at home a week come Friday.

As close as that match may be, I still think we've got enough to take the 3pts so that'll be the record ours. However, we're at Shielfield the next day in the KO Cup and I think that may prove to be a tough hunting ground for us.

As for the comparison, it's impossible. The 1991 Hammers were a truly awesome team but limits were higher and riders were established - some with already high averages. The team we have this year are going about their business as a team - as Al Stewart has said and when one is having an off day, another is stepping up to the plate... Take yesterday... I'd have laughed if you'd have told me we'd win at Glasgow when Cookie only scores 7... The first time he's been out of double figures in 2 years (except the Ipswich debacle and a rain curtailed meeting vs Sheffield when he was on 9 out of 9 prior to his 4th ride)... But Sedge and Stevie both came to the fore with big scores.

What I would say is everyone outside of Edinburgh are saying that practically every team year on year would beat this Edinburgh team... Maybe... However, it really doesn't say a lot for the rest of the league that we're beating does it?!!

As for Cookie rolling??? Have a day off will ya's?! Maybe he does move at the start from time to time but there are others in the league that are far worse for it... He's also proved time and time again in the past 2 seasons that when he's behind, he can overtake as good as anyone...

Edited by Nutz
  • Like 1

Next to impossible to compare sides from year to year, let alone different eras. These topics usually appear during the winter when people are bored.

We're all bored of Edinburgh winning every week !