British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stratton

Cardiff Could Other Venues Come In For Consideration For The British Gp In The Future.?

It still does not beat the atmosphere at Wembley though Dean.

I assume you're talking about the old Wembley. The new Wembley is poor in terms of atmosphere - Cardiff is better.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I assume you're talking about the old Wembley. The new Wembley is poor in terms of atmosphere - Cardiff is better.

All the best

Rob

100% agree. Been to an FA Cup semi there on a Saturday afternoon and an England game on a midweek evening. Both times, the atmosphere was a bit flat to be honest. There is a valid point to be made - by Sidney - that it might attract more international visitors who wish to fly in. I would also imagine if BSI did switch from Cardiff to Wembley in the first year the crowd would probably go up due to the novelty factor with plenty of British fans making the trip. But when people experience the hassle of getting to Wembley, the high costs of food, drink and accomodation in London, the run-down surrounding areas and the surprisingly uninspired stadia, then many will think twice about returning for a second visit. I think a Wembley GP would just fizzle away. Whereas Cardiff has proven itself attractive for thousands of returning customers. 40,000 people can't be wrong!

• Like 3

, the high costs of food, drink and accomodation in London,

I think Cardiff costs are higher than London's for hotel rooms mind.

• Like 1

I agree with lucifer and falcace. I saw speedway at the old Wembley stadium many times from league matches to world finals and there was something really really special about the atmosphere from arriving at Wembley Park Underground Station right through to waiting on the platform for the return journey. It was like no other stadium I've ever been to - and I've been to a few!

BUT....the new Wembley Stadium and its environs are not a patch on the old Wembley. I went there for the Olympic Games football and, actually, not only was the atmosphere gone, I found the whole thing a fairly unpleasant experience which I really wouldn't want to repeat. I used to be a great advocate for bringing the British Grand Prix back to Wembley, but not any more. The Millennium Stadium knocks spots off the new Wembley. It would be a big mistake I think to move it back....not that there is the slightest chance of it happening anyway.

Edited by norbold

If there was to be two GP in the UK it would be a massive mistake in my opinion it would split the crowd as what happened in Copenhagen already this season . As others have said if it ain't broke don't fix it I've been to every Cardiff GP and that's were the GP should stay - Wembley world finals are history in a different era and yes I have been to world finals at Wembley but for me it's has to stay in Cardiff .

I was at Cardiff for my first ever GP and my first Speedway meeting in 30 years. Atmosphere and presentation were superb but for me the small track was a disappointment. Being an old West Ham fan I grew up watching speedway on a big track. I attended all the Wembley World Finals in the 60's and up to and including '81 and for me Wembley provided a better racing experience. (rose-coloured glasses perhaps). Watching the GP's on tv I would say the Polish tracks provide better racing, in my opinion of course. Being an old "Hammer" I would love to see the GP at Olympic Park. Yes there is no roof but that is true of nearly all the GP venues. The ideal venue though, if the stadium could be adapted and a track laid would be Old Trafford. I believe the official attendance for Cardiff this year was just under 50,000, though It did not seem that full to me.

Is there any way more seats can be removed at the Millenium stadium to reduce the capacity to 50,000 and enlarge the track?.A track length of say 360 metres would in my opinion offer the prospect of better racing and the stadium would be nearly full, providing a better atmosphere. I was in the OAP seats up high on the 4th. bend and there were hundreds of empty seats behind me.

How about the idea of Wembley staging a "one-off" GP in 2016 to mark the 80th. anniversary of the first ever Wembley World Final? Or...a similar event in 2015 to mark the 20th. anniversary of the inaugral GP?.

Cardiff is a trek for most speedway regulars and Wales is far from a hotbed of support. Yes, it has the stadium but would the GP attract more support if it was held in London or Manchester? I still remember the crowd for the 1981 Final and the fantastic meeting and atmosphere. I really enjoyed my first meeting in 30 years but in all honesty the racing was over too quickly and was largely forgettable. Compare this to Torun, Bydgoscz and Gorzow.

In my opinion we need the atmosphere and presentation of Cardiff, the racing of the Polish GP's and the Wembley crowd, which I don't think is possible at the current venue.