British Speedway Forum
Bagpuss

Peterborough V Edinburgh 20/7/14 5pm

Any idea when it was tested? Before the meeting?? After a race??

No idea all i know is that it was tested at some point.

Well I didnt give Peterborough much of a chance before the meeting and even less after heat one but they thoroughly deserved that for a solid performance with every rider winning at least one heat. The Monarchs in contrast were all very inconsistent with the exception of Cook and Worrall. Expected more from the three Aussies although Fricke would have scored more on his EoES debut has he not touched the tapes at the worst possible time, and both reserves looked uncomfortable in the wide open spaces Alwalton offers. Dryml was the pick of the Panthers but they all chipped in well.

Not the best meeting I've ever seen at P'boro but still better than most I've attended this year. Thought the action lacked a slight edge compared to EL meetings there but it was still a good way to spend a Sunday evening with some interesting weather in the vicinity (stopped leaning against the flag pole when the lightening got going!) and the chance to catch up with some buddies.

Much as it goes against the grain to congratulate that mob of puddy tats up the A47, I have to say a massive well done to everyone involved today.

British 125cc Youth Championship was given full honours - parades/track grading/full build up etc and the lads repaid that in spades with a great display of racing which bodes well for British Speedway in 5-8 years time (hopefully the BSPA will maintain their interests that long).

That was followed by the Men in Black , not my cup of tea to be honest, but it provoked some memories of long gone racing and characters if not spectacular racing. The return of the Peterboro old boys was probably great for Panthers fans, to be fair I only ever liked Flying Ryan Sullivan and it's not bloody fair he doesn't look a day older than he did in the mid 90s!!!

There was a break for necessary track prep, but that only lasted about 45 mins, just time for me to scoff a couple of sarnies and read a chapter of my book. Then it was swiftly on with the presentations for the 125s and the parade for the PL.

The match I think started dead on time -well done :approve: The weather threatened from the start and altho it didn't always seem like it they did keep things moving at a fair lick.

I was a neutral not being a particular fan of any of the riders on show, so I had no idea what the score was most of the time but I was still thoroughly entertained. I'll let others go into details but special mention has to go to Ales Dryml who provided some spectacular passing and also to Derek Sneddon, who rode his heart out for the Edinburgh cause. Think it was heat 14 that has to go down as one of the best I've seen in years.

During the whole of the PL match we were spell bound by the Son et Lumiere show (which sadly cannot be attributed to Peterboro Speedway lol) provided by the rolling thuderstorms.

So that was it entertainment from 2.30 pm to nearly 6.30 pm. Four hours and all for a tenner. Now if all speedway was like todays offering this forum be boring cos no one would be asking what needed to be done to pull fans in.

Well done Mr Horton and everyone involved today.

• Like 5

I'm told the logistics didn't fit for Lasse, He would not have been at optimal performance level if he arrived into the UK for the match.

who's his spin doctor, Alastair friggin' Campbell?

Don't think we'd have done any better with him... so eff him!

The Panthers would of won by more with Fisher riding, Bjerre may or may not of scored more than Summers but he's been Panthers most consistent rider so far , one match missing don't make him a villain .

The Panthers would of won by more with Fisher riding, Bjerre may or may not of scored more than Summers but he's been Panthers most consistent rider so far , one match missing don't make him a villain .

I'd agree with that!

Congratulations to the Panthers on a well deserved victory. They have been the best visitors to Armadale this season, so it was always likely the winning run would end here, particularly as some of our riders had never ridden the track before and others not often. Looking forward to what should be a cracking League Cup final.

Thanks to all of the Magnificent 7 Monarchs for what has been a fantastic achievement - truly Incredible!

Now, which t-shirt to wear for the start of the next run at Berwick on Wednesday? Mighty Max, I think :D

First up - well done Panthers, thoroughly deserved win.

They were well up for it and despite a bad 1-5 start, battled back well to win the next 3 heats and then slam in 2 huge 5-1s in 8 and 9.

Panthers scored well throughout the team and if they had had a permanent replacement for the Fish, the win could have been even bigger (r/r = 5+2).

Quite possible that Bjerre might even have chipped in one or two more than the 8 that Summers scored.

Dryml rode really well especially when gating, but also trying hard if behind.

Barratt was really good value with 7+2 from 5.

Ostergaard rode hard for his 3 wins, a blank, an ef and a retirement when blinded by mud. Very forceful in heat 14 against Worrall.

He contributed 3 of the only 5 no scoring rides for Panthers.

Monarchs were not at the races too often and were too often outgated.

And 10 no scoring rides and only 6 heat winners doesn't help win matches.

Cookie rode well for his 4 wins but was regularly having to come from behind.

Justin rode well in his first 2 but was well out of it in his other two (did he have bike problems in heat 8?).

Max managed one decent win over Dryml but had an horrendous tape touch on his t/r ride.

Steve Worrall rode steadily for his 7+1 but didn't look like winning a race. Very relieved he didn't come to harm against Ostergaard in heat 14!

Sam was up and down. Nearly touched the tapes in bends 1 & 4 looked very threadbare one.

Aaron Fox gated first in his first ride but was soon passed by Jacobs and then Barratt pushed his way past. Don't know if this unsettled him because he didn't gate again and wasn't in the mix though was having a go to get past Barratt in his second ride.

Derek rode much better than his 4 from 5. Got involved in some right ding dong battles and had a few scares and near falls. Pushed into the thick mud by Ostergaard in heat 14.

The lightning show was VERY close and spectacular - was actually concerned about being in the stand!

The track started well with decent moisture but within a few heats bends 1 & 4 looked very threadbare. Once the rain got heavier they looked very iffy.

There seemed to be quite a build up of thick stuff on the outside of bends 1 & 4 and the track grading didn't seemed to be enough to disperse it.

Don't know if all the heats before this match took their toll on the track?

Anyway there looked a decent sized crowd and the racing was pretty good.

Hopefully Panthers will get themselves stabilised and that Monarchs will get the next run going!

Also - no falls (though Derek tried his best a few times!) and they got through the meeting very quickly. (I reckon just over 1 hour 20 for the 13 heats, with no interval.)

And no queenie's song either - maybe I missed it if it was before the kids' races? But I was relieved.

And what happened to the fish & chip van?

make no odds in this modern age where travel is actually easy and prices are not that bad

Its not as if Italy is the other side of the world is it,

And you put your bikes in your hand luggage I suppose?

I post to have a pop llike every bugger else on here at edinburgh, you really wanted to listen to yourselves over last few week not only me chuffed to bits about the result tonight i guarantee you that , there you go again with that word jealous :lol: . Now if you class being a tool as bigger and better, fair do's :icon_smile_clown:

At Brough tonight when the score was read out the resounding combined Diamonds/Bandits cheer was nearly the loudest of the night.

Edited by HadrianDog
  • Like 4

Have to say that Ales put in a brilliant performance, considering he was dropped last week before the BSPA stepped in.

• Like 1

You should be thanking Alex Harkess now.

Would have lost if the changes had gone through!

I post to have a pop llike every bugger else on here at edinburgh, you really wanted to listen to yourselves over last few week not only me chuffed to bits about the result tonight i guarantee you that , there you go again with that word jealous :lol: . Now if you class being a tool as bigger and better, fair do's :icon_smile_clown:

It's extremely sad (like nearly all the pish you spout on here Jamlad) that you have to bask in another teams success..You should have a wee listen to yourself some time.. :icon_smile_clown: Almost every Monarchs fan on here & Facebook etc have been very magnanimous in defeat and congratulated Peterborough on their deserved win,as i'll do just now..well done Panthers. :t: It's a shame that some people on here and elsewhere aren't as magnanimous,but that's their problem.It was bound to happen at some point so fair play to Peterboro,but it is only one match.At the beginning of the season i'm sure we would have settled for remaining undefeated and 15 points clear going in to the last weeks of July. :P It's a fantastic achievement,and one that will take some beating.To hump your beloved Comets on friday to break the record,really was the icing on the cake. :D Dearo dear, reading through your posts,i've noticed that you seem to be a wee bit obsessed with Edinburgh Monarchs..your constant pops at Craig Cook are tiresome to say the least .. :mad: Aye jealousy is a terrible human trait right enough,, :lol: Bring the next 25 on!! :drink:

Edited by Young51

Jealousy is horrible thing! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cook was just stating facts though campton and Wells trying to take the pi$$ even though they were on the receiving end of an edinburgh hammering a few days earlier.

yes but lets face facts. good rider he is but he is a bit of an idiot. premier league number 1 who wont get any better

• Like 1

yes but lets face facts. good rider he is but he is a bit of an idiot. premier league number 1 who wont get any better

You really believe that?