British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Redcar Bears V Newcastle Diamonds Premier League, Thurs 31st July At 7.30pm

Good result considering we lost Blackbird, someone who would have ensured we got maximum points. Poor team managing yet again to put Blackbird in that race he crashed in and to have Konopka going up against Bach and Lindgren later in the meeting rather than in the heat before.

Thought Rafal looked a lot better than his 2 points. Glad the lads all stood up to the challenge.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Garuda
  • Like 1

Fancied an away win with cookie in the team, that's just been blew out the water, rene is not a number 1 unfortunately

No chance. Rene not as good as King, and no Kerr. Bears RR for Lemon :o and Blackbird for Jan. Never in doubt now.

Well Done Rene ;-)

• Like 1

Good result considering we lost Blackbird, someone who would have ensured we got maximum points. Poor team managing yet again to put Blackbird in that race he crashed in and to have Konopka going up against Bach and Lindgren later in the meeting rather than in the heat before.

Thought Rafal looked a lot better than his 2 points. Glad the lads all stood up to the challenge.

EDIT: Spelling

Cant argue with much of that. 1 rider in 2 heats, and Rafal having to take 7 rides so happy to get any win.

Actually thought it was a pretty decent meeting with some good racing. Heat 15 was a cracker in particular.

Skidmore really seems to have come of age this season, and thought Wilko battled hard for his points. Rafa was a bit unlucky to only get 2 points as well, best he has rode for a while.

Back was an excellent guest but impressed with Rose. Started slowly but ended the meeting very well. Would have been tempted to chuck him in heat 15.

go on Rene :-)

Best I have seen him ride this season.

Cracking meeting and a fair result. :approve:

Just like to point out that Rene Bach has the 8th highest average around the STMP of all riders that have had more than 6 matches there. Craig Cook isn't in the top 20. Admittedly this is because Cook rode a few early meetings at reserve for Workington. However Bach's average of 8.09 in his last 10 meetings here for Newcastle/Workington is better than Cooks 7.08 in his 10 meetings. Just because a rider is on top of his form doesn't mean he's going to score points at a specific track (Take Ben Barker another top class rider who doesn't appear in the top 20 at the STMP).

This isn't by the way a knock at Craig Cook who is a brilliant rider but more a well done to Rene Bach and to the Newcastle promotion for recognising this. Worth every penny again tonight.

Well done to Redcar on a hard fought but well deserved victory.

• Like 4

A special mention to Wilko's spectacular outside swoops in heat 14 in a cracking race with Rose. Worth the season ticket alone, never mind the entrance fee. Should say actually all 12 riders offered great racing and the track lately has been fantastic and back to its best.

• Like 2

Turned out to be an excellent meeting with very good racing, any neutral fans would have been well entertained.

Diamonds definitely weakened with Kerr's absence, but r/r for Lemon and Cook in for King, potentially close match up, once we went to Bach and Blackbird looked an easy win for the Bears. Blackbird chain break changed whole meeting (best wishes to Lewis) and with 12 heats to go Bears looking at 8 heats with either no second rider or Konopka (not much difference in two options!!) match was there for Diamonds to take a win.

Stand up all 5 Bears (including Rafa - whose 2 points, both earned, proved to be ultimate difference) who all contributed at vital times to produce top class rides to secure win, highlight for me Wilko going on a wall of death ride round airfence and grabbing heaps of drive to hold off Rose in heat 14.

For the Diamonds I thought all six gave 100% and can't be faulted for effort, but they really will be feeling it was points dropped and not 1 gained. Majority of Bears fans, and certainly those round me, were content with a victory following Blackbird's withdrawal.

Overall a 6-1 win over home & away league matches is a superb result against our nearest and dearest

• Like 1

A special mention to Wilko's spectacular outside swoops in heat 14 in a cracking race with Rose. Worth the season ticket alone, never mind the entrance fee. Should say actually all 12 riders offered great racing and the track lately has been fantastic and back to its best.

For me, Wilko should have won that a lot more comfortably. I understood the need to go wide on lap 1 because he was side by side with another rider but laps 2 and 3 he should have kept low instead of allowing the opponent a chance to ride the inside line and therefore a chance to get in front. Rose was allowed to ride his line because he had 3/4 of the track to himself. If Wilko was closer to the white line from the start of lap 2, Rose would have had to think and I doubt he would have got that close.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to watch when it comes off, but he does take a lot of unnecessary risks.

Edited by Garuda

Don't get me wrong, it's good to watch when it comes off, but he does take a lot of unnecessary risks.

And that's why I'd have seven Wilko's in my team anyday.

• Like 3

And that's why I'd have seven Wilko's in my team anyday.

Would definitely be an experience watching 7 falls, 14 2nd/3rds, 7 wins and a couple of tape exclusions over the course of 15 heats

Would definitely be an experience watching 7 falls, 14 2nd/3rds, 7 wins and a couple of tape exclusions over the course of 15 heats

Which conveniently is 42 points to try and boost your point. lol. Good for a point away though and a tactical here and there..... play-offs here we come :P