British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow V Somerset Pl Sun Aug 17th 2014 @3p.m.

Disappointed to hear about Anders. Very.

But if his heart isn't in it, then it's for the best.

Anders just put a post on that he has now left Glasgow , his decision . Glasgow I looking for two new riders now

Part of the reason i am pretty dis-gruntled with what is happening if it is indeed true about his blown engines he can hardly lay the blame at Glasgow's door as he took the guest booking for Berwick last night then plead's poverty but i am not entirely sure that this is the only issue that he has left and he may not be the last one to walk.

Thing's are just going from bad to worse at Ashfield at the moment and i am afraid to say the blame lies solely at the Promotion's door they have had opportunity after opportunity to strengthen this team and have continually went with either the wrong option or the cheap option both off which are wrong.

If the begging bowl comments resurface i am sorry to say they have too look at it from a business perspective and seriously number crunch and ask the question is Speedway viable in Glasgow i think we all know the answer to that being honest, bottom line if they can't give the supporters a half decent team to support i really don't see the point in continuing with giving the support the poor teams that they have given us it will only lead to fewer & fewer fan's taking the lead off others and staying away.

Edited by Gazc

It's not that his heart is not in it , it is financially not viable for him

• Like 1

Anders hasn't made the progress you would have expected from last year. There have been 2 or 3 flashes of what he can really do but that has not been often enough and he has this frustrating knack of racing his team mates, whether they are faster or not, or have the better line, he's not giving way.

If it weren't for the fact that we now need a replacement for Berge, I wouldn't be too disappointed with his decision. Reading on here that he blew 2 engines guesting for another team just adds to the frustration. Hopefully he can finish his season off in Denmark, rebuild his confidence and come back to us at some point in the future a more mature and assured rider. As it is for 2015 I don't think we will be lacking in choice for second strings!

For the remainder of this year, looks like it could be r/r for 28 days as he is with holding his services then we would need to find somebody. As for Berge, on an average of 4.90, I'm not sure who is available or who would ride for us.

Its been another challenging season for us!

• Like 1

Disappointed to hear about Anders. Very.

But if his heart isn't in it, then it's for the best.

But hardly surprising George there is a total lack off any spirit or atmosphere around the place at the moment and it all stems from a losing team plain and simple the negativity then spreads like a cancer. Someone should have had the ball's months ago to replace Wolbert that is where the sh*t began and it manifested itself from there.

• Like 1

another disappointing result but not disappointing racing. ashfields producing the best racing for years but sadly the crowds are down so much. weather today probably put a lot of folk off, but the track was great.

Edited by highroad119
  • Like 1

another disappointing result but not disappointing racing. ashfields producing the best racing for years but sadly the crowds are down so much. weather today probably put a lot of folk off, but the track was great.

Not just the weather being the reason that crowd levels are down racing has been better yes but the atmosphere around the place is poor the whole race day experience is poor to be honest i never went today for the first time in a couple off seasons and i actually feel better tonight than what i usually do and there a good few faces that you don't see around the place anymore.

I enjoyed today, the racing was good though if Somerset are the league's top team we weren't far away. A couple more points from Thomsen and our usual reserve rather than Edberg and we were taking them to the wire.

The crowd was poor today though, I would put it down to a wet forecast, high winds outside that weren't forecast but were fierce for several hours prior to racing, the GP was on TV at 1pm and was entertaining, and Glasgow having Pijper away and Berge injured.

I'm a tad confused!!!

In one paragraph I read criticism towards the promotion for taking "The cheap option" then in the next paragraph it's been put forward that the promotion should crunch some numbers to see if speedway is viable in the city of Glasgow.

Now I'm no expert but perhaps the Glasgow promotion have "crunched numbers" and have worked out a budget that they will not stray away from, and going by crowds at Glasgow in recent years including the league winning year, I imagine that budget isn't the biggest in the league.

One thing that has often baffled me on forums, FB etc is when fans say "at the end of the day I'm a speedway fan first, if I see good racing then I will go home happy" but as soon as the team start losing, nobody really cares about the standard of racing, which by all accounts has been vastly improved this season.

So I genuinely believe Glasgow fans need to decide if they want speedway anymore, and are willing to accept exactly where Glasgow are in terms of finances. Which to me is putting together a team that will win more at home than they will lose, and will be scraping the bottom of the league most years, with the odd season when things click. As long as they put a good race track on for the riders I honestly believe that's all we can ask.

To put it another way, Glasgow are like the Kilmarnock FC of the speedway world. No money, a band of loyal fans who go for the love of the club in the hope of seeing an upset, but knowing that at the end of the day we can't compete with the big boys, but go anyway because it's our club....

And before anyone else brings it up, yes I've not been myself this year, but not because of the team or promotion, or results

quote tiger 2799

And before anyone else brings it up, yes I've not been myself this year, but not because of the team or promotion, or results

So who have you been?

quote tiger 2799

So who have you been?

Oh I've missed the speedway banter :-\

I'm a tad confused!!!

In one paragraph I read criticism towards the promotion for taking "The cheap option" then in the next paragraph it's been put forward that the promotion should crunch some numbers to see if speedway is viable in the city of Glasgow.

Now I'm no expert but perhaps the Glasgow promotion have "crunched numbers" and have worked out a budget that they will not stray away from, and going by crowds at Glasgow in recent years including the league winning year, I imagine that budget isn't the biggest in the league.

One thing that has often baffled me on forums, FB etc is when fans say "at the end of the day I'm a speedway fan first, if I see good racing then I will go home happy" but as soon as the team start losing, nobody really cares about the standard of racing, which by all accounts has been vastly improved this season.

So I genuinely believe Glasgow fans need to decide if they want speedway anymore, and are willing to accept exactly where Glasgow are in terms of finances. Which to me is putting together a team that will win more at home than they will lose, and will be scraping the bottom of the league most years, with the odd season when things click. As long as they put a good race track on for the riders I honestly believe that's all we can ask.

To put it another way, Glasgow are like the Kilmarnock FC of the speedway world. No money, a band of loyal fans who go for the love of the club in the hope of seeing an upset, but knowing that at the end of the day we can't compete with the big boys, but go anyway because it's our club....

Nothing new there then as it was my post you refer too then no need to be confused as it has been stated that break even is 700 through the gates and they are getting circa 500 then that is why i refer to i think most know the answer too that in that Glasgow are and will continue to lose money on those figures. And taking this into consideration if they are operating on a budget and they cannot field a team that is challenging for honours them I am sorry but what is exactly the point in entering the competition in the first place if you are only there to make up the number's.

It is our club but it is also a business and if that business is losing money and continues to lose money then it is no longer viable this is the same in all walks off business it is not down to the Fan's to decide though that decision will come from the people who have invested there money and rightly so, if one or more decide that it is not viable then it is them that make that desicion

And finally i hadn't noticed that you have been absent this year you must have a lot on ;) .

It pains me to say but in the modern era speedway a sport i love just will not work in a stadium with no facilities especially on a Sunday afternoon .

Does anyone else think that the "directors" are just on an ego trip?

What makes you think that but seriously there will soon be more Director's than fan's at this rate .