British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow V Somerset Pl Sun Aug 17th 2014 @3p.m.

Does anyone else think that the "directors" are just on an ego trip?

Just don't understand why we have so many.

I'm a tad confused!!!

One thing that has often baffled me on forums, FB etc is when fans say "at the end of the day I'm a speedway fan first, if I see good racing then I will go home happy"

I'm one those that says that, and haven't complained about losing matches.

What I have also said in addition is that I want to see riders who TRY.

Wolbert is not trying and should have gone a long time ago ..... as Gordon Pairman alluded to a few weeks into the season.

That is what pee's me off, and this season has led me to pick and chose meetings.

I work long hours during the week and have a family.

Weekends are family time.

A Sunday watching non triers means I go home feeling that I could have spent my time better with the family ... and saved a few quid.

Edited by george.m

That's why I used the Kilmarnock comparison. Teams like them, Thistle, Ross County, are basically there to make up the numbers, maybe the odd good cup run. To me Glasgow and some others are in that boat. We need to accept that and stop trying to pressure the promotion into making team improvements, Which logically will probably cost us more money, with false promises of fans will return in numbers if we have a successful side.

As a side note, I've actually been saying for a few years that I wouldn't mind Glasgow going NL. Getting 7 young British riders, and allowing the fans to watch their development. Even if the crowd level slumps to 200-250 that should be enough for NL speedway. If PL speedway isn't viable on our crowd numbers I would rather the promotion bite the bullet and drop down.

To be fair Kevin has upped his game these last couple of weeks

That's why I used the Kilmarnock comparison. Teams like them, Thistle, Ross County, are basically there to make up the numbers, maybe the odd good cup run. To me Glasgow and some others are in that boat. We need to accept that and stop trying to pressure the promotion into making team improvements, Which logically will probably cost us more money, with false promises of fans will return in numbers if we have a successful side.

As a side note, I've actually been saying for a few years that I wouldn't mind Glasgow going NL. Getting 7 young British riders, and allowing the fans to watch their development. Even if the crowd level slumps to 200-250 that should be enough for NL speedway. If PL speedway isn't viable on our crowd numbers I would rather the promotion bite the bullet and drop down.

Nobody knows really what the stadium rent is then you have utility cost's . Rate's , Wages . Water . Stock and that's even before you get to net income to pay all these costs one thing though and i have alway's wondered this but if everyone that attends on a Sunday were to pay to get in and i mean by that everyone then i think we would be in a much healthier position and by that i mean the freeloader's that knows the young brother off the sister off the 4th bend raker but hasn't seen him for 5 years if you know what i mean.

Basically there are an awful lot off people not paying to get in that really should be paying and deep down it is money the club can iil afford to lose.

• Like 3

Sad to see a rider walk away from a club but surely when sorting his contract out with the club he should have worked out cost before agreeing? and yes you dont look for costly engine failures but must know going to have to spend money during the season. Another thing Anders said about the cost of flights? i always thought the club paid for them?

Sad to see a rider walk away from a club but surely when sorting his contract out with the club he should have worked out cost before agreeing? and yes you dont look for costly engine failures but must know going to have to spend money during the season. Another thing Anders said about the cost of flights? i always thought the club paid for them?

Don't think any off us really know what cost clubs pick up probably varies from club to club but that is a few riders in the last few seasons walked away because they are losing money Mickey Dyer & Lee Complin spring to mind .

Edited by Gazc

Another thing Anders said about the cost of flights? i always thought the club paid for them?

I thought the same. If I recall right, his deleted FB post last night said £500 for flights? Could be wrong ( :drink: ).

£500? Was he chartering a plane?

Nobody knows really what the stadium rent is then you have utility cost's . Rate's , Wages . Water . Stock and that's even before you get to net income to pay all these costs one thing though and i have alway's wondered this but if everyone that attends on a Sunday were to pay to get in and i mean by that everyone then i think we would be in a much healthier position and by that i mean the freeloader's that knows the young brother off the sister off the 4th bend raker but hasn't seen him for 5 years if you know what i mean.

Basically there are an awful lot off people not paying to get in that really should be paying and deep down it is money the club can iil afford to lose.

You seem to have had this gripe for some time, perhaps it refers to a particular individual or individuals. Bring it to Glasgows' attention via the email address on the website and content yourself.

I thought the same. If I recall right, his deleted FB post last night said £500 for flights? Could be wrong ( :drink: ).

£500? Was he chartering a plane?

Flights from Scandinavia aint cheap even with a budget airline I could quite believe that a return flight including taxes would be the best part of 500 notes.

You seem to have had this gripe for some time, perhaps it refers to a particular individual or individuals. Bring it to Glasgows' attention via the email address on the website and content yourself.

I know Gazc can stick up for himself MD but he is not the only one who has noticed this and quite a few of us have over the past couple of seasons voiced those very concerns. I dont know if Gaz was one or not but it is something that rears its head fairly often. We joke it was one of the reasons we stopped buying a car park ST as it was having an adverse affect on my passengers blood pressure every week watching people sneak in the back gate!

• Like 1

I don't normally post on here an these are my views and not of the club.

I noticed tonight that there was a comment that one of the posters feels that me and my fellow directors are on an ego trip. Don't think that I agree with this as being a director of the club is a bit like having a second job but the difference is that this one does not pay in fact it costs and for some of us it is also a 7 day a week job. Also there was another comment that why do we need so many, we have 5 directors a quick look at other clubs sees Newcastle - 4, Edinburgh - 8, Berwick - 3 and Workington - 3 so not all that different from other clubs also more people means more hands to do the work.

Just my tuppence worth

• Like 2

Flights from Scandinavia aint cheap even with a budget airline I could quite believe that a return flight including taxes would be the best part of 500 notes.

First time i have really brought it up MD but i am not the only one that has noticed this it may not add too much on one particular meeting but over a season it would be pretty substantial think most off the Directors know this is happening it probably boils down too who is gaining free gratis and whether the cheek is turned or not .

Bottom line is you cannot have one rule for one and different rules for others stick to one rule and keep to it everyone pay's then there can be no MIS-INTERPRETATION it is not contentment i was looking for just set rules for everyone.

Edited by Gazc

First time i have really brought it up MD but i am not the only one that has noticed this it may not add too much on one particular meeting but over a season it would be pretty substantial think most off the Directors know this is happening it probably boils down too who is gaining free gratis and whether the cheek is turned or not .

Bottom line is you cannot have one rule for one and different rules for others stick to one rule and keep to it everyone pay's then there can be no MIS-INTERPRETATION

Fair enough but there seems little point in telling people on here. Make it known officially to the club and they can do something about it should that be the case.

I have only been following Speedway for a few years but I am staggered at how many people try to get away without paying for their speedway it's like a national pass time.

Fair enough but there seems little point in telling people on here. Make it known officially to the club and they can do something about it should that be the case.

The point being that i would be telling them something they already know as probably half the stadium knows this goes on

I have only been following Speedway for a few years but I am staggered at how many people try to get away without paying for their speedway it's like a national pass time.

LOL the only thing that is missing is the black face paint and the camouflaged gear .

• Like 1

Anyway , i thought the racing today was top drawer stuff . Nick Morris especially , how he won heat 11 was unbelievable . We never expected to win today because unlike a place like Overtaking Nirvana , we just knew Brady Kurtz would like Ashfield . And so it proved , Brady showed what he was all about . We tried our best , but on the day we were just beaten by a better side , but some of the racing was terrific and as a speedway fan that is what i want .

• Like 6