British Speedway Forum

THAT'S true but what is still not clear is whether that would have been the end of it and no further punishment available to the FIM. Now his case will be heard by the International Disciplinary Commission at which from what I can gather in Gorzow today Darcy will be entitled to attend with legal representation. Very costly of course but if he feels that all the correct procedures were not strictly adhered to he might consider it money well spent.

It seems interesting that you have mentioned, more than once, that Ward may feel it worth ploughing the line of 'poor procedures'.

Is there anything that one could learn from being in the pits on GP nights that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a slip-shod operation is being run on these matters?

• Like 1

You keep mentioning the possibilities of correct procedure's not folowed in Daugavpils, I take it that since his mitigating circumstances didn't cut any ice, that Ward and his advisers next tact is to scrutinise every step of the way the tests were administered on him, and hope he can out of it on a technicality?

Really????

Outside of his clique, I can't imagine he's have much respect left in the speedway world at the moment.

He's supposedly a professional sportsman, and has already pretty much openly admitted to having a "few too many" the night before a major event for him. Career wise, i honestly think he should man up and take any punishment pending. If he receives a ban, use the time to get fit, get sorted and come back stronger and sober. If he get's off on a technicality, no matter what he goes on to achieve, he'll still have the stigma of being the p*ss head who got away with it.

Probably the best line in the whole Thread.

Well put Wackie. :t:

Probably on the other side of the world, as Darcy was 16/17 when he first came over to England. I Don't know if either or both parents came over with him then, though. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Came over on his own & stayed with Chapman

It seems interesting that you have mentioned, more than once, that Ward may feel it worth ploughing the line of 'poor procedures'.

Is there anything that one could learn from being in the pits on GP nights that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a slip-shod operation is being run on these matters?

YOU don't have to be an Einstein to speculate that possibly the delay in the FIM passing judgement could be because of legal implications. Just as the police stopping and breathalysing motorists have to conform to certain procedures so too do members of the FIM and their legal guy will no doubt have been going over everything that took place in Daugavpils with a fine tooth comb.

As you can imagine, there is a veil of silence over what goes on in Geneva and Ward's case is actually now outside the jurisdiction of the CCP (Track Racing Commission).

I would say that from off the record conversations and judging the mood of many here in Gorzow, a six months ban would fit with the consensus of opinion although many are sceptical that Darcy, as contrite as he obviously is, will actually learn a valuable lesson. Only time will tell.

I don't feel there is any great mood, at least amongst the speedway fraternity, to ban him for longer just as many here believe that Dudek should be dealt with leniently as a young first offender and that he will, in fact, learn by his mistake which does appear to have been naive at worst.

• Like 1

Tells you everything, that so many people think Ward wont learn from any punishment handed out, IMO in a few years we will be looking back on Wards career and asking what if.....

• Like 1

Hey Darcy .... GP tonight.

Your round mate.

Cheers.

:drink:

• Like 3

YOU don't have to be an Einstein to speculate that possibly the delay in the FIM passing judgement could be because of legal implications. Just as the police stopping and breathalysing motorists have to conform to certain procedures so too do members of the FIM and their legal guy will no doubt have been going over everything that took place in Daugavpils with a fine tooth comb.

As you can imagine, there is a veil of silence over what goes on in Geneva and Ward's case is actually now outside the jurisdiction of the CCP (Track Racing Commission).

I would say that from off the record conversations and judging the mood of many here in Gorzow, a six months ban would fit with the consensus of opinion although many are sceptical that Darcy, as contrite as he obviously is, will actually learn a valuable lesson. Only time will tell.

I don't feel there is any great mood, at least amongst the speedway fraternity, to ban him for longer just as many here believe that Dudek should be dealt with leniently as a young first offender and that he will, in fact, learn by his mistake which does appear to have been naive at worst.

I fully understand the FIM making every effort to ensure that they have 'the law on their side' before taking further action.

No one would expect any competent organisation to do any other.

Actually I find the fact that they have completed this within two weeks and done it silently in Geneva quite laudable.

Albert Einstein, were he ever to have found himself banged to rights on a charge of this nature, may well revert to employing lawyers to fight every legal point to get him off.

But then he never had to.

And Darcy is no Einstein, is he?

• Like 3

A six month ban? let me see...September, October, November, December, January, February....oh finishes just in time for the start of the next season. Fancy!

• Like 3

It's sad that a decent rider like Woffinden may well miss out on a chance to go for gold due to his hand injury and this bell end might sneak back in the GP next year on some stupid technicality.

He does not deserve to be in the GP next year.

He does not deserve a pick ever again as there are plenty of decent riders with speedway skills that would do well in SGP.

Why should THEY be behind this bum in the queue?

Let the worthless clown qualify if he wants to be world champion.

I don't like him as a human being but of course recognise he is one of the best our sport has but HE is responsible for his problems not the FIM or the BSPA or the restaurant he decided to drink in.

But just because he is one of the best does not mean he is deserving of a place among the best.

He lost that renown when he turned up at a GP with booze in his system.

He has lied in front of the TV camera's about this and according to one of his GP comrades lied about the test reading.

Of course we don't want to lose such a talent. Speedway can ill afford to lose the Ward's and Dudek's it has.

But he must know he is being punished.

Ban him from all racing for this season and perhaps the start of next.

Give him an SGP points penalty to ensure he can't sneak into 8th by some miracle.

Make it plain he will never get a pick in SGP ever again and therefore will need to qualify for 2016.

Make it mandatory for him to be tested at every FIM meeting for the foreseeable future and if he transgresses again he will be banned for life from FIM meetings.

He want's to be world champion so hit him where it hurts most.

Then just maybe if he ever achieves that renown he will perhaps be worthy of it.

I MUST say that I don't find your views to be that widely held as far as I can judge here in Gorzow amongst fans, officials and riders.

I would say that most people think that if the FIM had, in fact, acted swiftly and banned him for six months, that would have sufficed in this instance. It would actually be quite a severe penalty if as a result Ward found himself out of the Grand Prix series until 2017 at the earliest.

Of course, on this forum especially there are those who hate all things Poole and Ward in particular but I am not convinced that is the opinion of the majority.

Even his fellow competitors, while not condoning his behaviour, don't want to see him banished forever and many think that compulsory alcohol tests for all riders before every SGP would be a better consequence of what happened in Daugavpils.

Of course, Ward has no right to be judged differently from a rider of lesser ability but speedway as a whole is better with Ward racing than not and trying to achieve that objective while at the same time giving him a harsh lesson is, in my opinion, the way to go.

• Like 4

I MUST say that I don't find your views to be that widely held as far as I can judge here in Gorzow amongst fans, officials and riders.

I would say that most people think that if the FIM had, in fact, acted swiftly and banned him for six months, that would have sufficed in this instance. It would actually be quite a severe penalty if as a result Ward found himself out of the Grand Prix series until 2017 at the earliest.

Of course, on this forum especially there are those who hate all things Poole and Ward in particular but I am not convinced that is the opinion of the majority.

Even his fellow competitors, while not condoning his behaviour, don't want to see him banished forever and many think that compulsory alcohol tests for all riders before every SGP would be a better consequence of what happened in Daugavpils.

Of course, Ward has no right to be judged differently from a rider of lesser ability but speedway as a whole is better with Ward racing than not and trying to achieve that objective while at the same time giving him a harsh lesson is, in my opinion, the way to go.

THIS is the key thing that should come out of all this. Its lucky that for several other riders that it hasn't been in place this season as there would be a few more others in Wards position now too!

I am lost there Phil. If he was banned for 6 months that would mean he would be riding next year, in the gp qualifier next year I presume, and could be in the gps in 2016 - or is my thinking wonky?

I would go one step further, I think alcohol/drug testing should be done both on the practise day and the day of the meeting for all riders. In other sports random testing is done during the season at any time, this would be a great deterrent as well. If people like Ward want to ruin their careers then that is up to them but safety must be the priority regardless of what some promoters might say.

• Like 1

A six month ban? let me see...September, October, November, December, January, February....oh finishes just in time for the start of the next season. Fancy!

That would depend on when they say the ban starts from. They could say a six month ban, starting in March 2015.

Tells you everything, that so many people think Ward wont learn from any punishment handed out, IMO in a few years we will be looking back on Wards career and asking what if.....

They could ban him for two years, with 18 months of that suspended, so, effectively a six month ban, but, if he doesn't learn from that and he has more misdemeanours in the two years, tell him he will be thrown out for good. He then might learn from it (not guaranteed, I know).

• Like 1