British Speedway Forum

Phil wont comment if it means going against Middlo or Darcy.

WELL, actually I will but out of interest why not provide some evidence of me defending either Darcy or Neil as opposed to suggesting posters stick to the facts.

It's not for me to determine whether Darcy is guilty or not. He failed a test, was charged with an offence and had his day in court, so to speak, just as any civilian would having been breathalysed on the roadside. My complaint is that this matter could and should have been done and dusted months ago. And certainly not because it involves Darcy Ward.

As for Neil, Twitter can become a dangerous social tool when people make spontaneous comments without fully engaging their brain first. And in my own view some of his tweets (and I doubt whether I have seen or heard them all) were foolish at best but no doubt the FIM will make their determination on the facts rather than what is flying around in the ether.

There are times when I cringe at some of the comments posted on the bsf, especially when they are of a personal nature, but that seems to be the way of the world right now.

Anything involving Poole, Middlo or Ward seems to inflame passions that might otherwise be kept in check.

I don't pretend that my opinion even after 50 (not 40!) years involved with speedway is worth more than that of anyone else. But given that the Jury President and referee in Latvia would have sent details of Ward's failed test to Geneva within 48 hours, surely it is reasonable to expect that the FIM could determine a course of action far more quickly than they did.

They have plenty of top lawyers at their beck and call who could surely quickly advise whether the correct procedure was carried out. Incidentally, I don't think the suggestion that the test was carried out by a policeman (on or off duty) is factually correct. The FIM assigned doctor was present.

Ward should have been charged, given 30 days to respond and a hearing, if necessary, convened within another 30 days. It's not rocket science.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 6

WELL, actually I will but out of interest why not provide some evidence of me defending either Darcy or Neil as opposed to suggesting posters stick to the facts.

It's not for me to determine whether Darcy is guilty or not. He failed a test, was charged with an offence and had his day in court, so to speak, just as any civilian would having been breathalysed on the roadside. My complaint is that this matter could and should have been done and dusted months ago. And certainly not because it involves Darcy Ward.

Now i wonder if the linch mob on here will pull you to pieces for saying exactly the same thing as ive said... Somehow i doubt it..But, if you was a Poole fan !!!

As for Neil, Twitter can become a dangerous social tool when people make spontaneous comments without fully engaging their brain first. And in my own view some of his tweets (and I doubt whether I have seen or heard them all) were foolish at best but no doubt the FIM will make their determination on the facts rather than what is flying around in the ether.

There are times when I cringe at some of the comments posted on the bsf, especially when they are of a personal nature, but that seems to be the way of the world right now.

Anything involving Poole, Middlo or Ward seems to inflame passions that might otherwise be kept in check.

I don't pretend that my opinion even after 50 (not 40!) years involved with speedway is worth more than that of anyone else. But given that the Jury President and referee in Latvia would have sent details of Ward's failed test to Geneva within 48 hours, surely it is reasonable to expect that the FIM could determine a course of action far more quickly than they did.

They have plenty of top lawyers at their beck and call who could surely quickly advise whether the correct procedure was carried out. Incidentally, I don't think the suggestion that the test was carried out by a policeman (on or off duty) is factually correct. The FIM assigned doctor was present.

Ward should have been charged, given 30 days to respond and a hearing, if necessary, convened within another 30 days. It's not rocket science.

Which Lawyers act quickly when they are on a retainer?

The Legal profession are very professional at working slowly it seems.

Think of the money.

• Like 1

I feel like I am inhabiting another universe from some here.

We all know that 'official' procedures take a very long time

And that we all feel that it could be done a lot quicker.

But it just doesn't happen like that.

I was in a car crash last March 2014 and the court date that has finally been set for my claim for lost income is on May 15 2015.

And the other side actually admit liability.

My Mother had Cataract diagnosed last April and we should soon get a date when the operation will be done; probably in March or April this year.

I have been in dispute with my Property Management company since mid 2010 and there is no sign of resolution best part of five years later.

So ...

P!ssed up Speedway Riders can damn well wait too!

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 8

It's about time we got some real investigative journalism, other than than the boring party line dirge that most of us know weeks before the SS prints it.. :rolleyes:

All the reporters I know of, are kissing Wards arse :neutral:

Mr Rising, rubs shoulders with the Speedway establishment on a daily/weekly basis and is not going to piss in his pot, so to speak . I'm being polite here :)

I am sick to death of reading the same old sh!!t day in day out on here..Year on year!

It's time to get rid of the old boys network.. !

This sport fails time and time again, because it's incestuous and seedy!

• Like 3

These are the expected penalities that anyone would get in a civil court of law if found guilt of drink driving in the UK.

Yes, but it seems highly likely that Darcy Ward would have been nowhere near the limit for drink driving in the UK (at least before the Latvian GP!). The limit for sport is negligible or zero, and whilst I agree that standards for motor racing need to be substantially more stringent than for driving a car on the road, you cannot completely equate what may be a marginal failure against a zero limit with common drink driving.

Yes, God knows why it takes so long, but then that's what happens when lawyers get involved. However, with your 50 years experience you should be aware that it's not unusual by FIM standards, and it's a distraction from the actual issue.

Simply reporting the ramblings of Muddlo on the grounds of 'reporting all sides of the story', does not in this case provide a balanced story because obviously the FIM can't comment on a case in progress. That's why some editorial is needed to make the reader aware this is not an unusual or unduly lengthy procedure.

More generally, I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility for a journalist of your standing to actually establish what the Darcy Ward argument is, and even publish it. An FIM tribunal is not a court of law, and it's hardly likely to prejudice his right to a fair trial.

We saw the same things last week with the verbatim reporting of the laughable protestations of the BSPA over the visa issues. The bottom line is they're either very stupid or simply knew they were breaking the law and thought they could get away with it, but either way their ineptitude should have been roundly condemned by the "World's leading speedway magazine".

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 6

Yes, but it seems highly likely that Darcy Ward would have been nowhere near the limit for drink driving in the UK (at least before the Latvian GP!). The limit for sport is negligible or zero, and whilst I agree that standards for motor racing need to be substantially more stringent than for driving a car on the road, you cannot completely equate what may be a marginal failure against a zero limit with common drink driving.

Yes, God knows why it takes so long, but then that's what happens when lawyers get involved. However, with your 50 years experience you should be aware that it's not unusual by FIM standards, and it's a distraction from the actual issue.

Simply reporting the ramblings of Muddlo on the grounds of 'reporting all sides of the story', does not in this case provide a balanced story because obviously the FIM can't comment on a case in progress. That's why some editorial is needed to make the reader aware this is not an unusual or unduly lengthy procedure.

More generally, I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility for a journalist of your standing to actually establish what the Darcy Ward argument is, and even publish it. An FIM tribunal is not a court of law, and it's hardly likely to prejudice his right to a fair trial.

We saw the same things last week with the verbatim reporting of the laughable protestations of the BSPA over the visa issues. The bottom line is they're either very stupid or simply knew they were breaking the law and thought they could get away with it, but either way their ineptitude should have been roundly condemned by the "World's leading speedway magazine".

YOU keep going on about an 'Editorial' ... but that is only the view of the person who writes it, no more, or less. One person's opinion.

Apart from the fact that I am no longer a full-time working journalist, questions have been asked of Ward but, not surprisingly, his lawyers don't want him saying anything. And neither do those of the FIM. It may not be a court of law but we cannot force those on either side to talk about if they on the advice of their lawyers do not wish them to do so.

And even if, as you put it, this is not an unusual or unduly lengthy process, which incidentally I don''t accept, it still doesn't make it right.

With regard to the BSPA and the visa issue ... why would being roundly condemned by the World's leading speedway magazine make any difference? Again, it would just be one person's opinion. The public at large are quite capable of making up their own minds.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

Have just read the 'Darcy Ward Appreciation Society' weekly newsletter on Page 3 of this weeks Speedway Star.

The author has not been given a byline; probably at his own request.

Could I request that the Star consider taking a leaf out of British Airways book.

And provide complementary sick bags with future editions.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 7

It's about time we got some real investigative journalism, other than than the boring party line dirge that most of us know weeks before the SS prints it.. :rolleyes:

All the reporters I know of, are kissing Wards arse :neutral:

Mr Rising, rubs shoulders with the Speedway establishment on a daily/weekly basis and is not going to piss in his pot, so to speak . I'm being polite here :)

I am sick to death of reading the same old sh!!t day in day out on here..Year on year!

It's time to get rid of the old boys network.. !

This sport fails time and time again, because it's incestuous and seedy!

I've said for years, my biggest issue with the speedway star is most of it is just them printing the BSPA (either as a collective or individuals) propaganda. There no investigation, there no finding out the truth, there no asking of questions.

It's a shame because when the Star does write some of it's articles they're a great read. The Garry Stead article from a few months back is one I think every speedway fan should be made to read - a few of us commented on how it brought us close to tears reading about the experiences of Garry and his poor mum and dad. So they can do it.

For anyone who cares to bother - Articles 7 and 8 make for very interesting reading. They primarily refer to the testing process (A and B samples etc) and a Hearing in a fair and timely fashion!! (within 3 months is mentioned!)

For anyone who cares to bother - Articles 7 and 8 make for very interesting reading. They primarily refer to the testing process (A and B samples etc) and a Hearing in a fair and timely fashion!! (within 3 months is mentioned!)

If he was breathalysed twice at the track then thats an A and B sample.

It's a shame because when the Star does write some of it's articles they're a great read. The Garry Stead article from a few months back is one I think every speedway fan should be made to read - a few of us commented on how it brought us close to tears reading about the experiences of Garry and his poor mum and dad. So they can do it.

There's been some good articles in recent times and which persuaded me to renew my online subscription. However, the unquestioning reporting of the BSPA party line really is a weak point, and not fitting of a supposedly independent journal.

• Like 2