British Speedway Forum
DAVEK

Sheffield V Redcar 21.08 2014

Leg injury. Someone mentioned broken femur. Was on gas and air in the ambulance. Doesn't look good.

Suspected broken femur for Liam according to Tigers website, best wishes to him.

Cheers guys all the best Liam.

That's rotten news for Liam , hopefully it doesn't turn out to be the case.

All the best Darrell

Cruuciate ligament and other tendons snapped, will need an operation

Looks like Liam could be out for a while, hope he can make a full and complete recovery.

Hope young liam makes a full recovery from his nasty crash,the lad was giving it his all.Taylor poole was in good form hope he keeps it going for rest of season,Covatti had one really good race,allan was solid,wolbert brought his Glasgow bike and struggled while Wilson needs to up his performances.I think if it had gone to the last heat we would have lost.

First things first best wishes and a speedy recovery to Liam Carr, the lad had done good job for us and to see him finish up with what looks to be a very nasty injury is sad and seems very unfair.

I think we got out of jail a little bit regarding the result but the meeting was finely balanced and could have either way, maybe a draw would have a fairer result.

But meetings are always going to be tough when you track 3 Guest riders and Rider Replacement and another rider making his home debut.

Will be good to see the Tigers back to full strength, hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Question.

If Liam had suffered a broken femur in his heat 14 crash as first reported, what were the paramedics doing for 35 minutes while he was lying on the track before being moved to the medical centre?

What were they hoping to achieve on the 3rd bend which they couldn't in the properly equipped medical facility?

Surely his well being would be best catered for in the medical facility, so even if he was suffering back pain why not put him on a back board and get him to safety as quickly as possible?

If a rider suffers an injury which necessitates a trip to A&E then order the ambulance pdq and get him to the medical facility as soon as possible ready and waiting.

Thursday night saw hundreds of the thousand or more fans stood waiting in the slight chance they may see and end to the meeting which was balanced on a knife edge only to be robbed of a proper conclusion to the meeting and also the entire junior meeting which should have followed.

"The riders safety" mantra was eventually run out after nearly an hours silence from the meetings presenter and the remaining faithful meekly left before the paramedics had even completed their paperwork and poor Liam was still sucking gas and air.

It really isn't good enough for either the riders or the paying public. I'm sure the paramedics have got the riders well being as their top priority, but I'm doubly sure that they have never been reminded that the supporters are paying for their attendance. If they want to play doctors in their own time that's fine, but when I'm paying them I want quick and effective action.

Question.

If Liam had suffered a broken femur in his heat 14 crash as first reported, what were the paramedics doing for 35 minutes while he was lying on the track before being moved to the medical centre?

What were they hoping to achieve on the 3rd bend which they couldn't in the properly equipped medical facility?

Surely his well being would be best catered for in the medical facility, so even if he was suffering back pain why not put him on a back board and get him to safety as quickly as possible?

If a rider suffers an injury which necessitates a trip to A&E then order the ambulance pdq and get him to the medical facility as soon as possible ready and waiting.

Thursday night saw hundreds of the thousand or more fans stood waiting in the slight chance they may see and end to the meeting which was balanced on a knife edge only to be robbed of a proper conclusion to the meeting and also the entire junior meeting which should have followed.

"The riders safety" mantra was eventually run out after nearly an hours silence from the meetings presenter and the remaining faithful meekly left before the paramedics had even completed their paperwork and poor Liam was still sucking gas and air.

It really isn't good enough for either the riders or the paying public. I'm sure the paramedics have got the riders well being as their top priority, but I'm doubly sure that they have never been reminded that the supporters are paying for their attendance. If they want to play doctors in their own time that's fine, but when I'm paying them I want quick and effective action.

Having been with Robert the day he broke his femur, if broken femur was the initial diagnosis the femeral artery run along that bone and they wouldn't move the injured rider until the leg was placed in a splint incase the artery was severed.

In Roberts case it was near an hour before he was moved.

Chopper

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_artery

Edited by chopper
  • Like 2

Having been with Robert the day he broke his femur, if broken femur was the initial diagnosis the femeral artery run along that bone and they wouldn't move the injured rider until the leg was placed in a splint incase the artery was severed.

In Roberts case it was near an hour before he was moved.

Chopper

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_artery

Well said. It's nice to know that practically every speedway fan is concerned about a riders health and safety, unlike the selfish gits like GP who is only concerned about himself. :mad:

The Paramedics surely have to do whats best for the rider. If they just shove em in the back of an ambulance to clear the track then

I'm sure "supporters" like GPR would be delighted. The fact that we'd end with far more serious long term injuries to riders or worse is just by the by. One has to wonder - was this a considered post or one made after another night on the pop? I for one was more concerned for Liam than "getting on with it" just as I was for Andre and Josh recently.

• Like 1

Question.

Stupid Question. How does anyone in the crowd actually know what is happening to an injured rider on the track.
  • Like 2

The medics have a duty of care to the patient (the rider) and no one else. In this day and age the care they give has to be accountable both for their own sakes and the riders. Don't think many will begrudge a rider the care he needs even if that does mean a meeting is abandoned.

• Like 2

The medics have a duty of care to the patient (the rider) and no one else. In this day and age the care they give has to be accountable both for their own sakes and the riders. Don't think many will begrudge a rider the care he needs even if that does mean a meeting is abandoned.

Well said