British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Fri Aug 29th ..coventry Storm Double Header V Buxton And Devon

COVENTRY Storm are looking to move to the brink of the National League play-offs with a double win at Brandon on Friday (7pm).
The City Gearboxes Storm face Buxton and then Devon in a packed night of 30 races, and a maximum of six league points is very much the target.
Should that be achieved, the Storm will move to 31 points and probably back into second position, and more importantly give themselves a 12-point cushion over the chasing pack.
A busy night is in prospect for the riders, as the Storm have to operate the rider-replacement facility for the injured Stefan Nielsen, who will be out for at least four weeks with a fractured arm.
Nielsen is third in the averages so all team members with the exception of No.1 Oliver Greenwood are entitled to share his outings.
Buxton include the two riders who scored double figures in their recent KO Cup defeat against the Storm, Tony Atkin and Adam Extance, although captain Liam Carr is on the sidelines with serious knee ligament damage.
Devon have been hit by a spate of retirements and injuries this season but bring in reigning British Under-21 Champion Josh Bates to guest at No.1.
Storm boss Laurence Rogers said: “It seems an age since we had any track action, but with a double-header the boys will soon be back in the swing of things.
“With the lull in fixtures, Kent have overtaken us in the league table, but with maximum points we can regain that position and help towards qualification for the play-offs.”
The action gets underway at the earlier time of 7pm, and admission is £15 for adults to cover both meetings, with all children free of charge.
The Storm riders will also be participating in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge after the meeting, and supporters are invited to donate £1 to charity in a raffle which will see the winners get to pour the buckets.
CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Dan Greenwood, Oliver Greenwood, Martin Knuckey, Stefan Nielsen r/r, Luke Priest, James Sarejant, Ryan Terry-Daley. No.8: Conor Dwyer (v Buxton) and Ellis Perks (v Devon).
BUXTON (from): Tony Atkin, Ryan Blacklock, Liam Carr r/r, Adam Extance, Stefan Farnaby, Tom Woolley, TBC.
DEVON (from): Josh Bates, Sam Chapman, Luke Chessell, Conor Dwyer, Tyler Govier, James Shanes r/r, Adam Sheppard.

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message including your mobile number.

Thanks

Edited by crazysue

Good grief... it looks like they're JUST started the second meeting... gonna be a l-o-n-g night :o

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Another meeting ended due to the mythical curfew. If such a curfew exists how about rushing through meetings a bit faster?!

I am disgusted about tonight the paying fans and the young riders of our future were deprived of money and racing due to the lie stated concerning the curlew which appears to alter according to --------? Please fill in the blanks accordingly

• Like 1

Good grief... it looks like they're JUST started the second meeting... gonna be a l-o-n-g night :o

All the best

Rob

Delay was due to fixing the air fences after Adam's crash and also rain

Where's this curfew come from? Never known it before at Coventry until these last two Storm double headers. And why is it so variable? I reckon last time it was 10:40 and tonight 10:15.

Tonight's first meeting could not have run much smoother with only one re-start (I think). The second meeting had a bit of a hold up for repair to the air fence and possibly 3 re-starts but nothing catastrophic. So if there is a curfew at 10:15 they should start even earlier or not attempt it. They should not charge for two meetings if there's no chance of making it.

Apart from feeling short changed I also feel sorry for the riders. I'm sure Josh Bates was dead chuffed to only get 3 rides, potentially missing out on another 6 points the way he was going. I hope nobody travelled from Plymouth to watch their team.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the Eastbourne double header especially with the extra faffing about the Elite boys like to do.

I'd also like to see them try to stop a stock car meeting at 10:15.

• Like 3

Does anybody else feel angered about tonight's 2nd half fiasco ---- err sorry meeting?

Who is this main man telling us we have 30 heats of Speedway. After 25 everything stops and as usual for Speedway supporters we all how home, muttering, complaining but doing nothing about it. My solution is that this is the last double header at National League level I will ever attend. Think about any Devon supporters who attended and paid their £15 having to watch a total one sided massacre of Buxton, if Tony Atkin hadn't been there there would gave been no competition, then they are deprived of 5 heats of supporting their team. At least Devon tried to make a meeting out of in particular young Josh Bates, brilliant, he was ready for heat 11 sitting on his bike, helmeted and what happens, match finished Curfew, never been heard of before in my experience at Brandon well over 50 years. Last double header finished at 10.45, with last heat called off. Brandonapolis last year? was still going at 11pm, went home before it finished. It's time the truth was told to Coventry supporters about Curfew's especially with Elite double header due in two weeks time. Sorry this was another prime example of how unprofessional Speedway is. Staff standing around, Peter York occasionally addressing ghe 'crowd'. No information to the fare paying customers, long periods of total silence, no information just "talk between yourselves for the next 15 minutes" A total shambles and that's how Speedway has become. Sorry I will this year have invested some £800 into watching Speedwaty at Brandon and as I feel at the moment this will be the last year of such "investment". Sorry but that's how I feel after tonight's event. I have supported Speedway at all levels for a very long time but this was a sad way to end any event.

• Like 2