British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Fri Aug 29th ..coventry Storm Double Header V Buxton And Devon

It would have been better if they had been honest about the problem with the air fence rather than fob us off.

Got to agree with Abbo. It is becoming increasingly hard work being a speedway fan, no wonder there are fewer of us there every week.

We knew we were going to witness two one sided affairs with gulfs between the skills of the riders but like 300? others we went anyway to support the young lads.

On handing over our £30 the guy at the turnstile did not even break conversation with one of the "guards" and the women selling programmes couldn't have been more miserable. It was such an underwhelming experience we both commented on it. How difficult is it to say "thank you, enjoy the meeting"...... basics!

I thought the meetings were going along at a reasonable pace. It was a bit annoying that they couldn't do the track grading when there was an extra 2 mins for r/r but why would you expect common sense at a speedway meeting! Bearing in mind the previous "curfew" was 10:45 with 5 heats to go, no problem.

The strange thing was it seemed to catch everybody by surprise. If there is a curfew tell the fans before hand then we all know what's going on. More to the point what would have happened if there had been more delays in the meeting and at 10:15 we were only at heat 7.....what time would the "curfew" had been then?

As I said I went knowing we were not going to see many great races but feel robbed of not seeing Josh Bates against the Storm guys in heats 13 and presumably 15 for no real reason.

Pissed off with it all and we are keen, the floating fans will not stand for it, and there is the problem. Speedway cannot survive on the enthusiasts alone. Those that go to speedway for a night out would not tolerate the crap that we put up with!

• Like 3

Got to agree with Abbo. It is becoming increasingly hard work being a speedway fan, no wonder there are fewer of us there every week.

We knew we were going to witness two one sided affairs with gulfs between the skills of the riders but like 300? others we went anyway to support the young lads.

On handing over our £30 the guy at the turnstile did not even break conversation with one of the "guards" and the women selling programmes couldn't have been more miserable. It was such an underwhelming experience we both commented on it. How difficult is it to say "thank you, enjoy the meeting"...... basics!

I thought the meetings were going along at a reasonable pace. It was a bit annoying that they couldn't do the track grading when there was an extra 2 mins for r/r but why would you expect common sense at a speedway meeting! Bearing in mind the previous "curfew" was 10:45 with 5 heats to go, no problem.

The strange thing was it seemed to catch everybody by surprise. If there is a curfew tell the fans before hand then we all know what's going on. More to the point what would have happened if there had been more delays in the meeting and at 10:15 we were only at heat 7.....what time would the "curfew" had been then?

As I said I went knowing we were not going to see many great races but feel robbed of not seeing Josh Bates against the Storm guys in heats 13 and presumably 15 for no real reason.

Pissed off with it all and we are keen, the floating fans will not stand for it, and there is the problem. Speedway cannot survive on the enthusiasts alone. Those that go to speedway for a night out would not tolerate the crap that we put up with!

I think you express here very aptly some of the feelings I have had - not just this season, but over several seasons - and I am as enthusiastic as anyone.

As you rightly say, if we find it hard to stomach what would a newbie think ?

Far too often fans are taken for granted and that simply has to stop.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

Is there Stockcars today?

Been an early inforced curfew before as Sandhu wanted the track work to start?

In contrast with a threat of rain 14 heats completed at Plymouth last night in just over an hour. Jim Lawrence in the ref's box had the two minutes on as soon as the track was clear from previous race. A good example of how the referee can keep a meeting flowing.

Edited by NJT
  • Like 1

I didn't go, mainly because I still bear the scars from the last double header, but they said at the last one that they couldn't run heat 15 due to the curfew...at 10:45. Nice thing this moving curfew.

In contrast with a threat of rain 14 heats completed at Plymouth last night in just over an hour. Jim Lawrence in the ref's box had the two minutes on as soon as the track was clear from previous race. A good example of how the referee can keep a meeting flowing.

The threat of rain does tend to focus the mind

This was never going to finish with both teams operating R/R in both matches

Who is this main man telling us we have 30 heats of Speedway. After 25 everything stops and as usual for Speedway supporters we all how home, muttering, complaining but doing nothing about it. My solution is that this is the last double header at National League level I will ever attend. Think about any Devon supporters who attended and paid their £15 having to watch a total one sided massacre of Buxton, if Tony Atkin hadn't been there there would gave been no competition, then they are deprived of 5 heats of supporting their team. At least Devon tried to make a meeting out of in particular young Josh Bates, brilliant, he was ready for heat 11 sitting on his bike, helmeted and what happens, match finished Curfew, never been heard of before in my experience at Brandon well over 50 years. Last double header finished at 10.45, with last heat called off. Brandonapolis last year? was still going at 11pm, went home before it finished. It's time the truth was told to Coventry supporters about Curfew's especially with Elite double header due in two weeks time. Sorry this was another prime example of how unprofessional Speedway is. Staff standing around, Peter York occasionally addressing ghe 'crowd'. No information to the fare paying customers, long periods of total silence, no information just "talk between yourselves for the next 15 minutes" A total shambles and that's how Speedway has become. Sorry I will this year have invested some £800 into watching Speedwaty at Brandon and as I feel at the moment this will be the last year of such "investment". Sorry but that's how I feel after tonight's event. I have supported Speedway at all levels for a very long time but this was a sad way to end any event.

I clicked your post "as a like" but really it should not be that. It is so disheartening to read these comments. The Storm started out really well last year presentation wise, and I remember going to one meeting and being back on the road about 9.30pm and all for £10 but it started to slide and hasn't stopped sliding.

The NL is the breeding ground for new talent and spectators should be encouraged to attend this type of meeting and we should theretofore be reading about how good it was, and how quickly the teams rattled through 30 heats and why can't teh Elite riders do that!!

• Like 1

I clicked your post "as a like" but really it should not be that. It is so disheartening to read these comments. The Storm started out really well last year presentation wise, and I remember going to one meeting and being back on the road about 9.30pm and all for £10 but it started to slide and hasn't stopped sliding.

The NL is the breeding ground for new talent and spectators should be encouraged to attend this type of meeting and we should theretofore be reading about how good it was, and how quickly the teams rattled through 30 heats and why can't teh Elite riders do that!!

. What was the track like last night? Just asking with a meeting on sun afternoon..............

. What was the track like last night? Just asking with a meeting on sun afternoon..............

Was impressed with track last night. Lots of grip and dirt.

Was impressed with track last night. Lots of grip and dirt.

. OK thanks may just try again on Sunday?
  • Like 1

Just to clarify my position the track was pretty good, not once did we see the riders from both teams complain even when it was raining fairly hard. The rain had nothing to do with the last five heats being cancelled. Time was wasted between heats, staff,riders chatting no urgency to run the meeting at a rate of knots bearing in mind that it was a doubleheader. I dread to think what could happen if this is repeated at the Elite double header with Eastbourne in two weeks time. Kelvin Tatums favourite gripe on television is riders going back to the pits when a race is stopped because of starting infringements. A terrible amount of time was wasted after Buxton vacated the visitors pits and Kent occupying and preparing, my main complaint is that no one appears to be in charge in the pits. I do think the Coventry management should come clean of this alleged curfew. There is no consistency in these meetings and as a Coventry supporter I believe we should be told what time events should be concluded. I would question what time do the Stock cars finish, I have attended in the past and it went on well after 10pm as have Speedway meetings.

Sorry also should mention if you have a curfew and riding a double header you start the first race at 7pm that would help the situation also Coventry seem to be missing the gentleman who I think his term was pits marshall who always seemed to be chasing riders up to get out on track. As it turned out the star if the night for me was young Josh Bates with superb style so the races against our top two in those last five heats was missed. I notice that in the report from the club on the match just praises the Storm but fails to get to the nitty gritty of the missed heats. The meetings need some discipline and system which I regret is lacking!.