British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Super Blue

Ipswich Witches V Sheffield Tigers Pl Sat 30-8-14 @ 7-30pm

I would have said up by a couple of hundreds, plenty of new faces with children.

As for the meeting, comfortable win, but there was some good racing in most of the heats. Apart from Hawkins who had a stinker, the rest were pretty good. Special praise to Worrall who had one of his best meetings for a while, and i don't suppose anyone was expecting Owen to get a point, let alone 2.

At least the Tigers escaped without further injuries which, for us this season, is as good as a 4-point win!

I would have said up by a couple of hundreds, plenty of new faces with children.

As for the meeting, comfortable win, but there was some good racing in most of the heats. Apart from Hawkins who had a stinker, the rest were pretty good. Special praise to Worrall who had one of his best meetings for a while, and i don't suppose anyone was expecting Owen to get a point, let alone 2.

Worrall got a fair return but was a roadblock in a couple of heats!! Edited by Roland

Worrall got a fair return but was a roadblock in a couple of heats!!

he did look slow in a couple of heats but give me a rider looking slow and scoring 11 over one on a rocketship scoring 6 anyday!
  • Like 1

Worrall got a fair return but was a roadblock in a couple of heats!!

He was a roadblock in a couple of heats, as I mentioned in my race analysis on the texts in was doing for the updates site. It was more his bike settings for those races than his obvious talent in would have thought, because in his second race he cleared off into the distance.
  • Like 1

He was a roadblock in a couple of heats, as I mentioned in my race analysis on the texts in was doing for the updates site. It was more his bike settings for those races than his obvious talent in would have thought, because in his second race he cleared off into the distance.

Short of re-writing the laws of physics, if you 'park up' in the middle of the bends, you basically lose too much speed and have to get going all over again. He's great when he's got dirt to hold him up, eg. Heat 1 at peterborough. He needs to compare his engine revs with Gino coming out of bend 2 and he'll see why he's so slow. Hasn't anybody had a word? Should they need to? He's a good rider, lovely style, the down side is 1. He's a bit weighty, and 2. Lacks experience. Hopefully having been with SWC squad, he has learnt from the experience, let's hope it from the Polecats and not Bomber Harris.

Decent meeting again. Special mention must go to Steady, those last two rides of his were superb. Can't remember when an opposing rider went past both home riders like he did.

• Like 1

Short of re-writing the laws of physics, if you 'park up' in the middle of the bends, you basically lose too much speed and have to get going all over again. He's great when he's got dirt to hold him up, eg. Heat 1 at peterborough. He needs to compare his engine revs with Gino coming out of bend 2 and he'll see why he's so slow. Hasn't anybody had a word? Should they need to? He's a good rider, lovely style, the down side is 1. He's a bit weighty, and 2. Lacks experience. Hopefully having been with SWC squad, he has learnt from the experience, let's hope it from the Polecats and not Bomber Harris.

I don't really think anyone has a word with anyone, last season you could hear Adam was using the wrong gearing for the Ipswich track, or a totally flat ignition setting, and at the end of the season he still was, so from that I would imagine that no one really listens or helps. I've also said many times before, why doesn't anyone ever wander around the track or sit in the stand for a couple of races and you can see or hear things are lot better. Trouble is, if you mention anything about a speedway rider or suggest something that may help, you are basically told you know nothing, even though maybe you have done plenty of laps around a track yourself or have worked on many a speedway bike, but because it's just a name on a forum, you know nothing.

I don't really think anyone has a word with anyone, last season you could hear Adam was using the wrong gearing for the Ipswich track, or a totally flat ignition setting, and at the end of the season he still was, so from that I would imagine that no one really listens or helps. I've also said many times before, why doesn't anyone ever wander around the track or sit in the stand for a couple of races and you can see or hear things are lot better. Trouble is, if you mention anything about a speedway rider or suggest something that may help, you are basically told you know nothing, even though maybe you have done plenty of laps around a track yourself or have worked on many a speedway bike, but because it's just a name on a forum, you know nothing.

Such is life i'm afraid. There's quite a few racing in my view that should be seeking out a bit of good advice.

A decent meeting I felt, and Sheffield kept us honest all the way.

RH had a shocker, but tbh he has succeeded all expectations this season, so I feel was allowed that one.

Was lovely to see Taylor Poole riding so well, loved him as a Witch but sadly we never really got to see the best of Tay riding for us due to his nasty injuries, so especially glad to see him riding so well.

• Like 2

From what I hear there is plenty of advice offered.

Sometimes its taken sometimes not. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

Certainly one rider was resisting advice to change gearing from last years tried and tested set up for the early part of the year but has now switched with very positive results.

• Like 1

My favourite example of how to do it would be Shane Parker around Owlerton a couple of years back.

Other than Steady's dive between the two Witches in heat 13 two things stuck in my memory. I had heard about the open seating on the back straight and assumed it would be very basic. Totally gobsmacked when I saw it with the size and appearance. Be great to get some sunny afternoon meetings in there (Saturday's when football season is finished?) when it could be more fully used and create an even better picture.

Also as well as Dan Holt's appreciated use of the two minute warning wasn't it great to go through a meeting with no interval. Nobody complained but I heard many comment positively on the way out. Queues at the various franchises didn't get stacked out as a result of a mad rush once a declared interval starts plus extra time at the Dove afterwards (Fat Cat before though to appease the sponsors). How very European and didn't it help to keep the atmosphere going?

• Like 2

... wasn't it great to go through a meeting with no interval. Nobody complained but I heard many comment positively on the way out. Queues at the various franchises didn't get stacked out as a result of a mad rush once a declared interval starts ... How very European and didn't it help to keep the atmosphere going?

Been saying for years (and years and years) that there's no need for a break.

Tell the promotion! You can send emails via the Witches website.

Some change is positive. I'm sure the catering will not suffer as a result - and I'm sure that track staff can wait a few extra mins for a cuppa, or even work out a supply chain from the pits :) there are so few rakers that track maintenance will hardly suffer.

Edited by Had Enough Too
  • Like 1