British Speedway Forum
SCB

Lakeside Vs Poole 1st Sept (sky Meeting)

I did not go to the meeting but watched it back and was glad I made the right decision. I did not feel short changed as I was watching England Ladies beat South Africa at a dryer bit of the county ;)

The gate was slightly larger as well!!!!!

I wish I had done the same!!

Never mind Foreverblue you will have the chance to prevent the same mistake again this Friday, hopefully others will take advantage of that option too.

As the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Really don't understand why Middlo is being called a clown about last night when Middlo said 'It's the right decision to call it off'

It's just anti Poole stuff.As you say he said nothing wrong LAST NIGHT.

Really don't understand why Middlo is being called a clown about last night when Middlo said 'It's the right decision to call it off'

If that was all he had said then your comment would be justified.

The similarities between last night and that infamous night last September are so obvious and, of course, last night he was concerned about rider safety with a play-off position in the bag - no such feelings at Belle Vue last year (until, of course, Poole had gained maximum points to sneak into the play-offs).

• Like 1

Never mind Foreverblue you will have the chance to prevent the same mistake again this Friday, hopefully others will take advantage of that option too.

As the saying goes "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Well I am going friday because it has to be better, usuallymeetings at lakeside are pretty good and with some better guests could have a decent result

Middlo would have been more anti the call-off, had it not been that his Poole were safe and tucked up n the Play-Off shuffle. Middlo would have been more intent, perhaps, if the season was just a league (no Play-Offs) like the olden days.

As I have often thought, Play-Offs allow a team to take its foot off the gas on too many occasions. Poole, over the course of, say, the old 40 match season, would have been less eager than they were last night, to whistle off into the damp night air, with nowt but a bit of sand in their shoes, safe in the knowledge they, with weeks of the campaign lingering, are in the comfort zone.

And, thing is, typical how fixtures fall, we have to relive the same fixture again... in just four days' time.

Bet those that were there last night... have already got their viewing TV planned.

Edited by moxey63

I enjoyed the meeting until the rain came down..

I gave up at that point but from what I read, Middlo ended up totally confused - suggesting the meeting should have continued, obviously forgetting the BV/Poole farce of last season

Anyway, the worst part of last night (Poole are already in the PO's) was the sheer contempt for the paying public - shocking really !

Just seen a few clips from this meeting....they weren't joking about the crowd. Its almost at the stage where your introducing the crowd to the riders, rather than the other way round.

Do you seriously believe that the activity you see on screen is the only activity in the pits ? Have you never looked in the pits when Sky are at a meeting ? Take a look in the pits next time Sky are at your track and see the amount of direction they give. Kelvin Tatum even said in the commentary "its obvious that if this were a normal meeting it would be called off by now " .

I know there's always lots of activity in the pits, more so when Sky are at a meeting but with 4 riders out on track ready to race obviously the decision to abandon the meeting after heat 10 wasn't agreed across the board.

Middlo wanted the meeting called off before heat 10. He'd subsequently said it was Lakeside's call to abandon the meeting (although it wasn't), but with a sniff of a point you'd imagine although he'd still role out the standard rider safety first stuff, he'd agreed to continue.

Sky - they wouldn't have wanted the meeting off.

The Ref had allowed the meeting to continue to the completion of heat 10, the track wasn't going to get any worse, he was heard to say during his conversation with the team mangers and captains that it would continue to improve as the meeting progressed - which it did.

Vatcher didn't seem convincing that he wanted the meeting abandoned, but Watt was prancing about like a spoilt brat who'd had their sweets taken away when he realised the riders were at the tapes for heat 11. He's well known for hating wet tracks, as was Tatum, and as captain is supposed to speak on behalf of his whole team. Except he obviously didn't last night as 2 of them were at tapes ready to race. So if he wasn't instrumental in the abandonment, who was?

I know there's always lots of activity in the pits, more so when Sky are at a meeting but with 4 riders out on track ready to race obviously the decision to abandon the meeting after heat 10 wasn't agreed across the board.

Middlo wanted the meeting called off before heat 10. He'd subsequently said it was Lakeside's call to abandon the meeting (although it wasn't), but with a sniff of a point you'd imagine although he'd still role out the standard rider safety first stuff, he'd agreed to continue.

Vatcher didn't seem convincing that he wanted the meeting abandoned, but Watt was prancing about like a spoilt brat who'd had their sweets taken away when he realised the riders were at the tapes for heat 11. He's well known for hating wet tracks, as was Tatum, and as captain is supposed to speak on behalf of his whole team. Except he obviously didn't last night as 2 of them were at tapes ready to race. So if he wasn't instrumental in the abandonment, who was?

And Neil was right, he agreed to carry on under duress, because as you could all see, the track was not rideable, nevermind raceable, as also backed up by the riders, it was Lakesides call, as why john cook had all the track staff and Gerrald out with rakes brooms and whatever they could get their hands on, so clearly, they wanted the meeting to continue..So come heat 11, when the riders were at tapes they suddenly decide to call it a day when there was a racing , no sorry trotting line, so what was all the song and dance about? who got it Abandoned? it certainly didn't come from Neil..As i said, Neil did the right thing.

Edited by Starman2006

Sky - they wouldn't have wanted the meeting off.

I'm not so sure. I think the abandonment came about 9.15 with their programme due to finish at 9.30, so a finish after Heat 10 would have suited them.

Sky were only showing old meeting hightlights after the live broadcast. I think they stick them in the programming as fillers in case meetings overrun

Have to say watching the match on sky + that middleditch was right want it off, but given his disgraceful conduct at Belle Vue last year, I find it hard to have any sympathy for him.

• Like 1

"14.6.1 A Meeting Co-ordinator will ensure the Staging Promotion has carried out track preparation in a manner that enhances the prospect of a Meeting taking place, especially in times of inclement weather. S/he must attend the Briefing Meeting and be involved in all discussions concerning track preparation, including those concerning a possible delay, postponement or abandonment. Upon instructions of the Meeting Steward will communicate any decisions regarding delaying, abandoning or curtailing a Meeting to the TV Company, Press and Public."

So if this the official Ronnie Russell role it appears largely superflous, whilst giving him a licence to meddle and interfere?

• Like 1

And Neil was right, he agreed to carry on under duress, because as you could all see, the track was not rideable, nevermind raceable, as also backed up by the riders, it was Lakesides call, as why john cook had all the track staff and Gerrald out with rakes brooms and whatever they could get their hands on, so clearly, they wanted the meeting to continue..So come heat 11, when the riders were at tapes they suddenly decide to call it a day when there was a racing , no sorry trotting line, so what was all the song and dance about? who got it Abandoned? didit certainly n't come from Neil..As i said, Neil did the right thing.

<trolling removed>

NOBODY SAID MIDDLO GOT IT ABANDONED!!!!!!!

<trolling removed>

Middlo wanted it abandoned when the deluge came down and quite rightly so.

Middlo was happy to send his riders to the tapes in heat 11 with a sniff of a point

Middlo said the home team called it off after heat 10 when funnily enough he would have been hapy to continue

Middlo said 'if you can do 10 heats you can do 15'

Middlo had no concerns last season at Belle Vue about riders racing from HEAT ONE on an unfit track. Funny that as Poole needed points.

Those who say Middlo agreed to it clearly didn't watch it properly. He whinged and moaned in the interview and then trotted out the rider safety statement under duress.

The meetimg should have been abandoned long before heat 10. People just don't like the hypocrisy from Middlo

<trolling removed> the Bele Vue meeting should never have got to heat 10

Or are you going to say the Lakeside one should have been abandoned but not the Belle Vue one?

Both should never have got to heat 10 <trolling removed>

I can see your point about the BV meeting last year but Poole were losing on the night (Last Night) and Middlo did say call it off.

He said call it off when the rain came and rightly so.

He was more than happy to send his riders to tapes in heat 11 where a 5-1 would have got Poole a point.

His body language after the abandonement told you he wanted to carry on despite what came out of his mouth

Do you conveniently forget his comment 'if you do 10 heats you can do 15'