British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Back To Basics

I'd like to see the scoring system go back to the simple 3 for a win 1 for a loss. I think it does make it overly complicated. For me when my teams lost they've lost, I dont see a bonus point as something to be happy with I simply see the fact that we've lost.

It will intersting to see if the league tables would be different come the end of the season if we use the 3 for a win system compared to the current system. As it stands the EL would hae the teams in the same positions as they are right now. Not looked at the PL or NL tables.

• Like 2

What about an extra point, say, for a team that takes to the track with at least two of its own riders in the line-up.

• Like 1

with teams struggling so much to field 7 man temas due injuries and riders just not turning up, would/could 5 man teams work?

2x Heat leaders

2x second strings

1x reserve?

There would always be teams using empty spaces in their line-ups. In 1997, wasn't it six-man teams, and still some were operating five-man setups?

Edited by moxey63

I think we should ban capital letters on here the white knight would only post once a month.

Nice one. ;)B)

Nothing complicated about Cricket -

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

See - Simples!! :P

yeah well done, we used to have that hanging on the wall when i grew up!!

As far as the league points goes, I don't think there are many sports that have such a home advantage as Speedway does, so I don't think its a bad thing to address that. I agree it's one of the better ideas in recent years.

• Like 1

Other sports like cricket and rugby have complicated scoring systems and they seem to manage ok. They don't however, have anything like the double points rule and that damages credibility, I think

F1 tnis year are having a 'double points' race at the final GP, presumably to contrive the fact that the title can still be won on the day..

You can lose at both cricket and rugby yet get 'bonus points' for doing so...

Football teams in European competition can draw over the two legs of the tie and win!

And horse racing deliberately contrives results by making some horses run with more weight on their backs to slow them down

All 'credible' sports I would say yet with rules that do appear strange..

F1 tnis year are having a 'double points' race at the final GP, presumably to contrive the fact that the title can still be won on the day..

True, but it is being widely criticised.

The league points scoring system is one of the best new rules we've had. It does the job of rewarding effort, and keeping the majority of matches alive until the end.

The only thing I would do, is to do away with the 4th point for an away win by more than 6 points. There should be three points per match - scrap the 4th point, it serves no purpose in keeping a match close.

It should be:-

Home team wins by more than 6 - Home 3 Away 0

Home team wins by less than 6 - Home 2 Away 1

Draw - Home 1 Away 2

Away win - Home 0 Away 3

Easy to understand. The home team has to win by more than 6 to get all points, the away team only has to win to get all points. The possibilities in between explain themselves.

I would also do away with or radically alter the tactical double joker. The only thing dafter than a tactical double joker in British Speedway is a tactical double joker in the world cup.

• Like 1

The league points scoring system is one of the best new rules we've had. It does the job of rewarding effort, and keeping the majority of matches alive until the end.

The only thing I would do, is to do away with the 4th point for an away win by more than 6 points. There should be three points per match - scrap the 4th point, it serves no purpose in keeping a match close.

It should be:-

Home team wins by more than 6 - Home 3 Away 0

Home team wins by less than 6 - Home 2 Away 1

Draw - Home 1 Away 2

Away win - Home 0 Away 3

Easy to understand. The home team has to win by more than 6 to get all points, the away team only has to win to get all points. The possibilities in between explain themselves.

I would also do away with or radically alter the tactical double joker. The only thing dafter than a tactical double joker in British Speedway is a tactical double joker in the world cup.

That is actually pretty good and does make sense, and simpler to understand. Bound to be rejected and ridiculed!