British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Worrying Rye House Rumours

Heard some unbelievable rumours regarding Rye House’s future last night at the track. There is, as they say, no smoke without fire, lets hope in this case its rubbish what was being said.

Sunday’s will be the race day in 2015, 6pm starts and that’ll be it, no more speedway in 2016, finito to speedway thereafter. 6pm on a Sunday will be a few of the few left from coming i recon.

Surely this can’t have any possible truth in it, can it? I’ve heard rumours suggesting the kart track people had agreed a deal with the speedway circuit to do what exactly I don’t know.

Perhaps this would explain why the place is being run down. I think it certainly needs a statement from the club.

Or will this be Len being stubborn saying if I don’t run Rye House no one does and I’ll take it with me to my grave?

I watched my first-ever Speedway meeting at Rye House in 1960, so the place holds fond memories for me. I would be sad to see them go.

it happend at newport the mallets made sure speedway didnt run after they pulled out wouldnt sell and when it closed somebody set fire to the place

Last night was my first visit to Rye House for a while and it certainly seemed to have gone downhill since my last visit. The crowd seemed very small, although I appreciate it was not on a normal night and the opposition were not bringing their full team. Hopefully it is all just rumors as I hate to see any track close.

• Like 1

It's a super little venue that can produce very good racing at times. I know there's been documented issues on this forum before over the rights and wrongs in the way that Len Silver operates, but the club, as a club, needs and deserves it's fans to stick by them. The sport would be poorer without clubs like Rye House, but I agree that if there are rumours running around, then an official statement of fact or denial should be made by the management.

I've not been able to travel up to the place as much as normal this year, but when I have come, I have left feeling short changed.

The gate at King's Lynn was abysmal last night too, and the fact that an England football match was on the box wouldn't have helped either of us, but of course that isn't the sole reason.

As for King's Lynn, people generally stick their noses up at National League racing. Their choice of course, but that league in their case, is part and parcel of the revenue that's required to sustain the higher level of racing that the public seem to crave for, although I personally don't understand why, as it comes a poor second to Premier League racing.

As for Rye House, I can't in my wildest dreams think midweek racing is a good idea. They've always been a weekend track, and that's how they should remain, whether it be Saturday or Sunday.

Just my opinions, and I accept there will be those who disagree, and have that right to do so.

Agree broadly Mimmo apart from your saying they deserve the fans to stick with them. I think the opposite, although the fans need to back the club to have any chance of preserving it, I think the promotion have done precious little to 'deserve' loyalty recently. In fact, I feel they are utterly out of touch and more and more frequently treat their customers with contempt.

• Like 2

it happend at newport the mallets made sure speedway didnt run after they pulled out wouldnt sell and when it closed somebody set fire to the place

Yes I remember. Did the law ever Nick anyone for that. I heard the culprit smashed their way into the stadium with a wooden Mallet but it could just be a rumour

• Like 4

I heard the culprit smashed their way into the stadium with a wooden Mallet but it could just be a rumour

which one?

the Father or the son? :rofl:

Edited by Flyin Panther

which one?

the Father or the son? :rofl:

I think Oldace has already said which one if you read it again.

I hope nothing like that ever happens at Rye House though. Yes, Len is out of touch, but nobody can really want to see the club fold. Stick with it Rockets fans, dated speedway is better than no speedway.......ask Hackney, Wimbledon, Crayford, Canterbury, White City, Rayleigh, Romford, Oxford, Norwich, Long Eaton, the list is absolutely never ending.

Agree broadly Mimmo apart from your saying they deserve the fans to stick with them. I think the opposite, although the fans need to back the club to have any chance of preserving it, I think the promotion have done precious little to 'deserve' loyalty recently. In fact, I feel they are utterly out of touch and more and more frequently treat their customers with contempt.

Thought that was a pre-requesite for all promoters. :shock:

Wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Crowds are lower year upon year with no effort to gain new supporters or get the ones that have given up to come back. This years team at the start of the season said it all. No Scandanavians, so no air fares to pay. Silver is approaching his mid 80's with nobody looking willing to take over the running of the place, not that he'd allow it. He's definitely a hands on owner (I wouldn't use the word promoter. He stopped doing that years ago).

2015 could very well be the last year of speedway at Rye House IF he decides to carry on beyond this dismal season.

I hope this is just rumour. I would hope Len would have more respect for the fans and at least try and sell the club as a going concern.

If it is just rumour then Rye House themselves can stop them, I take they do press releases.

Has the writing been on the Rye House wall since Kent? They seem to love him there