British Speedway Forum
kitten2502

Birmingham Brummies - Has The Come Back Trail Started?

Some encoraging news today, obviously we shouldnt count our chickens but feeling much more optimistic now. :t: From the Birmingham Mail

Tony Mole , the man leading a business plan to bring speedway back to Birmingham, insists hopes are still high the Brummies will be back on track next March.

Mole has stepped in to purchase track equipment from the administrators handling the sale following the collapse of the Alan and Charles Phillips promotion, which saw the club fold in July.

Now he has a series of meetings planned over the next few days to establish interest from potential investors to form a consortium.

And he says stadium landlords, the GRA, remain keen to see the sport return to Perry Barr – despite being left with unpaid rent twice in five seasons.

“It’s better than 50/50 at this stage, I’m cautiously optimistic,” said Mole. “I don’t want to build up people’s hopes too much, but I am hoping to be able to make a presentation to the management committee of the British Speedway Promoters’ Association in the near future.

“I have a series of meetings still in the pipeline and I am very much hoping these will help us reach our target to enable us to apply for membership to one of the senior leagues.

“All this is subject to things falling into place when it comes to the financial structure of the club.

“Once that is in order we can press the green light, I will not press ahead without the confidence we can ensure it is a viable business.”

Mole says he is pleased to maintain a good relationship with the GRA at Perry Barr – and they are keen to see the sport back there in 2015.

He said: “I’m very pleased they still want the sport because they could have turned their back on it after they have been let down in the past. They are comfortable dealing with me, they know our financial agreements will be honoured and we have a good relationship.

“What level of the sport we would be looking at remains to be seen, I cannot say for certain at this stage so we will just have to see how things work out.”

Edited by Brummie Kev

Good News. I'm cautiously optimistic. :t:

Again - GOOD LUCK!!!

• Like 1

Some encoraging news today, obviously we shouldnt count our chickens but feeling much more optimistic now. :t: From the Birmingham Mail

Tony Mole , the man leading a business plan to bring speedway back to Birmingham, insists hopes are still high the Brummies will be back on track next March.

Mole has stepped in to purchase track equipment from the administrators handling the sale following the collapse of the Alan and Charles Phillips promotion, which saw the club fold in July.

Now he has a series of meetings planned over the next few days to establish interest from potential investors to form a consortium.

And he says stadium landlords, the GRA, remain keen to see the sport return to Perry Barr – despite being left with unpaid rent twice in five seasons.

“It’s better than 50/50 at this stage, I’m cautiously optimistic,” said Mole. “I don’t want to build up people’s hopes too much, but I am hoping to be able to make a presentation to the management committee of the British Speedway Promoters’ Association in the near future.

“I have a series of meetings still in the pipeline and I am very much hoping these will help us reach our target to enable us to apply for membership to one of the senior leagues.

“All this is subject to things falling into place when it comes to the financial structure of the club.

“Once that is in order we can press the green light, I will not press ahead without the confidence we can ensure it is a viable business.”

Mole says he is pleased to maintain a good relationship with the GRA at Perry Barr – and they are keen to see the sport back there in 2015.

He said: “I’m very pleased they still want the sport because they could have turned their back on it after they have been let down in the past. They are comfortable dealing with me, they know our financial agreements will be honoured and we have a good relationship.

“What level of the sport we would be looking at remains to be seen, I cannot say for certain at this stage so we will just have to see how things work out.”

This Mole guy is a godsend to be honest ,he odviously loves the sport fair play to him i hope it comes good for the great Brummie fans .
  • Like 4

Fingers crossed for something positive but before we all go wild at the prospect let's keep at least one foot on the ground and remember that Tony Mole won't be looking at a long term plan for Birmingham Speedway. He'll be doing what he's always done in the past which is to get something "sellable" onto the market in the hope that someone buys the club off him.

After 2 such sales in the past a Groundhog Day alert needs to be sounded.

Those whose horizons only reach as far as next March won't care. Those who look long term need to think about who is going to sort out things like improving the fans experience (viewing, sound system etc) and cultivating a younger and broader based fan base...All items which, had they been addressed since 2007 could have prevented 2014's problems.

Edited by uk martin
  • Like 1

Cradley looking for a new home,that might help.It won't help me though.

Edited by martin_t

Cradley looking for a new home,that might help.It won't help me though.

Just read the news and really shocked Cradleys future is in doubt. I didnt think there were any problems with the landlords at Monmore.

All the best in trying to find a solution.

Fingers crossed for something positive but before we all go wild at the prospect let's keep at least one foot on the ground and remember that Tony Mole won't be looking at a long term plan for Birmingham Speedway. He'll be doing what he's always done in the past which is to get something "sellable" onto the market in the hope that someone buys the club off him.

After 2 such sales in the past a Groundhog Day alert needs to be sounded.

Those whose horizons only reach as far as next March won't care. Those who look long term need to think about who is going to sort out things like improving the fans experience (viewing, sound system etc) and cultivating a younger and broader based fan base...All items which, had they been addressed since 2007 could have prevented 2014's problems.

The GRA will no longer deal with someone they cannot trust at Perry Barr which really does narrow down the options for survival. Regardless of the obstacles the Mole will find a way of over coming them if they can be overcome. The only thing I know he has failed at is pacifying some of the petty cynics who snipe away on forums because the man is a business man and not a frigging charity. Keep on Martin and you might just be the final nail in the coffin that buries Speedway in Birmingham for good. Just who the **** do you think you are?

• Like 1

I was of the understanding it will be owned by a consortium of previous sponsors. Mole would be a co-promoter and play a relatively small part, but an important enough role to help co-ordinate a revival.

Therefore, nothing for him to sell on, but a huge amount of goodwill should come with his name linked to the business.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

I was of the understanding it will be owned by a consortium of previous sponsors. Mole would be a co-promoter and play a relatively small part, but an important enough role to help co-ordinate a revival.

Therefore, nothing for him to sell on, but a huge amount of goodwill should come with his name linked to the business.

I hope that you're right an that some kind of sustainable organisation can be created, and continue into the future. Hopefully it will be one that can plan into the future and take a longer term view of things, and plan things out for the long term, because in my opinion, short-termism has been one of the main long-term killers at Birmingham, in more ways than one over the last half-dozen years or so.

Mind you, who **** do I think I am to have an opinion eh? :oops:

Well said! To the "much needed" point in regard to possibilities relating to a Birmingham return.

I hope that you're right an that some kind of sustainable organisation can be created, and continue into the future. Hopefully it will be one that can plan into the future and take a longer term view of things, and plan things out for the long term, because in my opinion, short-termism has been one of the main long-term killers at Birmingham, in more ways than one over the last half-dozen years or so.

Mind you, who **** do I think I am to have an opinion eh? :oops:

You seem so sure that Mr Mole has no interest in the long term future. To be fair I think his plan is to get it up & running again for the next owner to keep it running and organise a long term plan.

Not sure what this obsession with local derbies is ? Birmingham had 6 home matches which were local derbies in the Elite league and ended up closing.

You have to bare in mind that the team this year was awful & no wonder the fans stayed away. As so many people said on so many other threads when you have little entertainment on track you'll spend you hard earnt elsewhere, just look at Oxford a few years ago.

Good luck Brummie fans.

You seem so sure that Mr Mole has no interest in the long term future. To be fair I think his plan is to get it up & running again for the next owner to keep it running and organise a long term plan.

You have to bare in mind that the team this year was awful & no wonder the fans stayed away. As so many people said on so many other threads when you have little entertainment on track you'll spend you hard earnt elsewhere, just look at Oxford a few years ago.

Good luck Brummie fans.

On the other hand the team the year before topped the regular league,had a semi final against Wolves,a final against Poole all one one of the best tracks in the UK and they still ended up owing the riders,team manager money,all with a wealthy promoter,the knowledgeable Drury's on board,Phil Morris as a good team manager along with a good commercial manager..It begs the question if you can't make money with those set of circumstances is there any money to be made ?