British Speedway Forum
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers 2015

Very positive imo, need to make 40k realistically to run, made 12k tonight and numerous sponsorships coming available soon at very good prices! Friday night racing if happened aswell with only 3-4 unavailable Friday night racing.

Showground been very helpful, and our new promotion are very open to new ideas and a press release will be released soon on the website so watch this space

But from a fans point of view, very positive, atleast 4-500 people there, jed is very to the point and a business man, which is a massive key!

good summary. :t:

other snippets I remember:

- about £8500-£9000 is needed to cover the cost of each home meeting

- all riders have now been fully paid (no clues as to how, or by whom, though)

- RF & JM definitely not willing/able to be involved in the foreseeable future, but that's due to business commitments rather than anything financial

- but as far as the future goes, the message was never say "never" :wink:

- all fans invited to think about making a regular donation by DDM or whatever (eg £5, £10, £20... every little helps to keep Panthers alive & racing) and it will possibly involve setting up some sort of "VIP Membership Club" or suchlike

Overall it all sounded very positive and I think everybody came away feeling confident about 'The Big Question'.. i.e. will Panthers still run next season?. It will deffo be PL though AND Fridays are back!

:cheers:

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 3

I feel positive about tonight and I have to say I like this Ged guy and what he had to say. I was however a little embarrassed at the start of the meeting with some negative issues being raised by the public.I am curious as to why local business man Phil Wing was there and was bemused by some of his probing questions..also Mick Bratley was there and sounds like they could use some of his commercial expertise. I'd like to say a big thank you though to Trevor and Ged for keeping the club alive and fingers crossed lets hope we are not in this position once again next year.

Edited by Lukas
  • Like 1

So it sounds like the panthers will ride again next year,great news nice track to,all the best

• Like 1

So it sounds like the panthers will ride again next year,great news nice track to,all the best

Apparently someone has donated £10K anonymously.

Is that what the 12k is made up of?

What was said just after the break was something along the lines of "we've had lots of people come up to us during the break and we're delighted that about £2,800 has already been donated...". Then they mentioned that a fan who wished to remain anon. had chipped in 10 grand.

I had to dash off but I'm pretty sure more people would've come forward at the end. I'll certainly be emailing the Supp Club tomorrow because I want to do my bit too.

Left at the interval because I was bored with all the rubbish from certain people about the state of speedway in general. Felt sorry for Trevor & Ged for having to listen to all the moans, when all they were trying to do was save our speedway club.

• Like 1

I think a lot of useful information was shared

The costs of running the matches

the challenges/barriers to promoting the club

The BSPA constraints

Who actualy "runs " Speedway

What the riders needed to do beyond just racing on the track

The ongoing debates regarding the fixture list and number of matches

The potential promoters views on what they agreed with/disagreed with in respect of how the sport was run

Some of the new promoters ideas although I did think one or two were too complicated/ambitious and would struggle to be implemented when they got into the detail

Was also interesting that when it was announced it would be Premier next year - no one "spoke up" against it, yes not everyone clapped but it was an opportunity for them to challenge the decision.

{added} There were also individuals in attendance who had different agenda's, not necessarily focused on "Saving the Club", for example making sure the reputation of previous promotions were not sullied too much!!

Terry

Edited by TAST

As he stated he reads this I want to personaly thank Mr Rathbone who lives miles up in the north east to make the effort to do what he's doing and also Trevor Swales who has his critics on here but say what you want about him..he's Panthers through and through and does the lot.

Alot of points were being brought up about the state of british speedway in general which is beyond their control and some other negative stuff which like lack of ice creams at the fours!..which was embarrassing.. and I hope they know that that they are not the thoughts of the majority.

What was the Phil Wing questions all about?..does he want to help out?...anyway there was no shortage of ideas and questions and a great turnout...the best question of the night though was "who's in the team apart from Ully and Wilko?!" :lol:

I was too shy to speak up but one thing I would have suggested is permanent Billboards in the city centre and some form of discounted family tickets (like £20-£25 for 2adults and a child) or discount family season tickets for the 3-400 die hards..specialy now it looks like we are gonna race on a friday which is great news..and off the back of that more stuff to get the kids wanting to go like mascots and autograph sessions because the one thing that stood out for me lastnight was the shortage of youngsters in attendance. Also more corporate stuff for company nights out..I know where I work would be interested in something like that.

All in all a very positive night and would love to hear Ged and Trevs thoughts on it all :t:

Edited by Lukas
  • Like 2

Mostly positive tonight, and most I am sure left with some optimism that Panthers would run in 2015. Yes there was no seeming opposition to Premier League but then why would there be as it is that or nothing, additionally most of the support that remained with Panthers last season in the main prefer Premier League.

Sorry to see some left at the interval and I do no conc with the view rubbish was spoken about the state of Speedway and that Trevor & Ged were or should have been upset by any negativity. They were in my view highly delighted by the turn out and concern of supporters for the club.

It remains to be seen what if anything ensues from the cameo role of Phil Wing.

For myself I still and always will prefer Elite League whatever its format, but as I mentioned earlier for he moment at least it is Premier or nothing and I am not at all keen on nothing.

• Like 1

Phil Wing was there a few times last season, and still has a role with the Phantoms don't he? Also he is probably still a Panthers fan, so to have the Panthers still running is in his interest. Hence the devils advocate role last night, asking questions.

Don't believe any comments last night was 'rubbish', yes some wasn't probably right with the evening, BUT its all true. Thought they answered the questions well, and they certainly have the help from the people who turned up last night, so bring on the challenge.

As he stated he reads this I want to personaly thank Mr Rathbone who lives miles up in the north east to make the effort to do what he's doing and also Trevor Swales who has his critics on here but say what you want about him..he's Panthers through and through and does the lot.

Alot of points were being brought up about the state of british speedway in general which is beyond their control and some other negative stuff which like lack of ice creams at the fours!..which was embarrassing.. and I hope they know that that they are not the thoughts of the majority.

What was the Phil Wing questions all about?..does he want to help out?...anyway there was no shortage of ideas and questions and a great turnout...the best question of the night though was "who's in the team apart from Ully and Wilko?!" :lol:

I was too shy to speak up but one thing I would have suggested is permanent Billboards in the city centre and some form of discounted family tickets (like £20-£25 for 2adults and a child) or season tickets for the 400 die hards..specialy now it looks like we are gonna race on a friday which is great news..and off the back of that more stuff to get the kids wanting to go like mascots and autograph sessions because the one thing that stood out for me lastnight was the shortage of youngsters in attendance. Also more corporate stuff for company nights out..I know where I work would be interested in something like that.

All in all a very positive night and would love to hear Ged and Trevs thoughts on it all :t:

to be fair the lady who does the cubs (can't remember her name) tries bloody hard ,but as she said to me , parents wont bring there kids on Tuesdays ,I'd be pretty sure if they ran Fridays you'd see a lot more kids ,

I think a lot of useful information was shared

The costs of running the matches

the challenges/barriers to promoting the club

The BSPA constraints

Who actualy "runs " Speedway

What the riders needed to do beyond just racing on the track

The ongoing debates regarding the fixture list and number of matches

The potential promoters views on what they agreed with/disagreed with in respect of how the sport was run

Some of the new promoters ideas although I did think one or two were too complicated/ambitious and would struggle to be implemented when they got into the detail

Was also interesting that when it was announced it would be Premier next year - no one "spoke up" against it, yes not everyone clapped but it was an opportunity for them to challenge the decision.

{added} There were also individuals in attendance who had different agenda's, not necessarily focused on "Saving the Club", for example making sure the reputation of previous promotions were not sullied too much!!

Terry

From looking at Twitter and other sources it all looked positive Tel, and overall I suppose it was, but you've put some alternative viewpoints.

It was a party conference though Tel and the vast majority there would support whatever was offered. It was pretty clear that that would only be Prem so no surprises there. Without Frost/Mahoney or someone new with the finances being interested then what was the point of challenging? Someone could have asked whether there was a forward plan I suppose but just replying that survival is the key would bat that question away.

If Peterborough Speedway continues then fair play to those involved but it's been too big a backward step for me & I'm feeling like Lewis Bridger at the moment. I'll play it by ear from here if we ride on. It may work & be ok, time will tell. I remember a discussion with Phil Wing once in which I was trying to get across that speedway for speedway's sake didn't work for many; that didn't compute! Not sure what message him turning up sends now that Panthers are virtually where he wanted them to be? He may just have been interested as a fan?

Phil Wing was there a few times last season, and still has a role with the Phantoms don't he? Also he is probably still a Panthers fan, so to have the Panthers still running is in his interest. Hence the devils advocate role last night, asking questions.

I am curious as to why local business man Phil Wing was there and was bemused by some of his probing questions..

And to play devil's advocate and conspiracy theorist, doesn't Horton have a box at the hockey thing?

Edited by Crump99

Though ASL his company did, also owed loads to riders etc i believe. Only decent bloke to run Pboro recently was Rick. Every dealing either Horton Brother had with it has ended in a nightmare.

ASL existed only on paper, what you believe isn't fact is it.

Mostly positive tonight, and most I am sure left with some optimism that Panthers would run in 2015. Yes there was no seeming opposition to Premier League but then why would there be as it is that or nothing, additionally most of the support that remained with Panthers last season in the main prefer Premier League.

Sorry to see some left at the interval and I do no conc with the view rubbish was spoken about the state of Speedway and that Trevor & Ged were or should have been upset by any negativity. They were in my view highly delighted by the turn out and concern of supporters for the club.

It remains to be seen what if anything ensues from the cameo role of Phil Wing.

For myself I still and always will prefer Elite League whatever its format, but as I mentioned earlier for he moment at least it is Premier or nothing and I am not at all keen on nothing.

I got the distinct impression they had already made their minds up to run especially when Swales made it clear everything was in place.

The turn out was impressive and running Fridays was a good start, no real business plan was forthcoming and some of the answers to questions were vague but a good exchange of views and ideas.

It's apparent that the Showground now really want the speedway to be there which is a big plus but they missed a trick by not having a bar on a warm evening.

I still stay they need a good commercial manager although they did say they had spoken to someone about the role.