British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

Heaven knows i'm miserable now

• Like 7

Only 1000 people turned up at the 'last ever' eagles meeting v king's Lynn, still way below the break even figure. I would have thought that a year in the PL on the traditional Sunday afternoons would be worth a try, but I don't have to pay the bills at Arlington.

• Like 1

I don't enjoy watching racing at Arlington, but it has a place and the Dugard family i have great respect for.

Sad news.

I really hope this isn't the start of an eventual downfall of many teams.

People complaining about quality but I think that comes at a large price nowadays unless speedway would follow into Denmark into four man teams.

I can see speedway in 20 years just being young English riders possibly some Aussies and few others.

Radical change may not even work. :(

As always damn shame but sadly speedway is not a viable sport and they won't be the last.

I have seen some good meetings at Arlington and enjoy the small technical tracks.

Dugard family great speedway folk and they will be missed :(

• Like 1

That is really sad to hear. Is it officially closed for good or is there still a option for a new buyer if they were to show interest?

Couldn't see date on paper so unsure.

Another great club bites the dust. Sad but true, this is the way speedway is going. At the end of the day, its about the lack of bums on seats, high cost of riders and equipment and little VFM. Unless these issues are addressed more clubs will follow..

• Like 7

Sad news indeed,some great meetings with our rivals over the years.Always enjoyed my trips to Arlington.

Let's hope something can be done to save them

At the moment - Saturday morning - there is nothing relative to this closure on the Eastbourne website.

It states quite clearly that they cant run a large number of meetings .... but could run 8 home and 8 away Elite League matches

Tai Woffinden has already served notice that British Speedway needs to change at the top level if they want the top riders to still race here and has the backing of a number of riders that could also soon be lost to these shores.

They want to ride here, but with fixed race nights, better pay and less flights the journeys into and out of Britain are causing a concern and by August we are seeing riders getting burnt out and more and more have accidents than at any other time of the year.

Run the EL on 8 home and 8 away and those tracks (9) that want to ride in the PL can join up to form one big league which would probably be split into two groups. Eastbourne would possibly just run in the EL so it could be 7 home 7 away ? ...... but the PL team they build at Poole or Wolves would be joined by two star riders ..... so Poole use Ward and Holder .... Wolves Woffinden and Lindgren .... Coventry use Hancock and Andersen ..... Swindon - Kildemand and Sayfutdinov .... Eastbourne Nicki and Bjarne ... etc

Don't get me wrong, Arlington and Brandon may well end up as housing estates but the sport has to be more economicial and feature more PL standard racing with the odd top class meeting here and there

Unlike a few here i really enjoyed my visits to Eastbourne,but that was back in the 80s when Kennett,Dugard,Richardson and Barker etc were riding.Plus there was always a good rider or two in the visiting team and the sun always seemed to shine on Arlington on a sunday afternoon.

• Like 3

Another great club bites the dust. Sad but true, this is the way speedway is going. At the end of the day, its about the lack of bums on seats, high cost of riders and equipment and little VFM. Unless these issues are addressed more clubs will follow..

Hit the nail on the head there!

It states quite clearly that they cant run a large number of meetings .... but could run 8 home and 8 away Elite League matches

Tai Woffinden has already served notice that British Speedway needs to change at the top level if they want the top riders to still race here and has the backing of a number of riders that could also soon be lost to these shores.

They want to ride here, but with fixed race nights, better pay and less flights the journeys into and out of Britain are causing a concern and by August we are seeing riders getting burnt out and more and more have accidents than at any other time of the year.

Run the EL on 8 home and 8 away and those tracks (9) that want to ride in the PL can join up to form one big league which would probably be split into two groups. Eastbourne would possibly just run in the EL so it could be 7 home 7 away ? ...... but the PL team they build at Poole or Wolves would be joined by two star riders ..... so Poole use Ward and Holder .... Wolves Woffinden and Lindgren .... Coventry use Hancock and Andersen ..... Swindon - Kildemand and Sayfutdinov .... Eastbourne Nicki and Bjarne ... etc

Don't get me wrong, Arlington and Brandon may well end up as housing estates but the sport has to be more economicial and feature more PL standard racing with the odd top class meeting here and there

It's all right getting a few more top riders over here, the more the merrier, but what about the rest of the team if they don't ride abroad how can they afford to ride on so few meetings, unless of course they are all double uppers.

Plus the fact that Eastbourne own the stadium and perhaps can afford to not use the stadium every week. Most other promoters rent the stadiums and would the landlords agree to keeping a speedway track for about ten meetings a season. Plus the loss of income.

Edited by BROCK
  • Like 3