British Speedway Forum
LagutaRacingFan

Eastbourne To Close Down

This is really odd. Drop down 2 leagues then up 2 leagues the year after.

Something they don't like about the PL?

Simple answer - too many teams, therefore fixtures, in the PL for Bobs' liking.

Exactly maybe a mix of sat evening and sunday afternoon meetings

Why not Saturday afternoon as an option; at least for the midseason? Eastbourne itself has 3 senior football teams (more if you include Hailsham just over the main road and Lewes a few miles away) who would have around a 10 week close season and about 2,000 combined fans who may be looking for something to fill their Saturday afternoon 3 p.m. slot for a couple of months. With one of the prizes in the Eagles draw being tickets for Eastbourne Borough matches there must be some link already so I'm sure they would assist with publicity and maybe accept speedway match tickets for their raffle too.

Other "outside the circle" benefits include the possibility of doing it by public transport with Saturday afternoon train times afterwards from Polegate more frequent than either evening trains or Sunday ones. With a decent referee and commitment from pits staff the meeting could be concluded within 90 minutes so routines are not interfered with, plus with such times a double with Rye House could be possible, or Lakeside for their occasional Saturday meeting. Also no clash with televised GPs. No bedtime issues for kids (or looking at the Eastbourne profile) grandkids at that time either.

But if this means there would be problems with the track preparation and drying out that would mean Sunday afternoons couldn't be considered either.

The only "reason" I can see why it couldn't be considered is because nobody else does it; which is hardly valid as nobody has tried it other than the very very odd match. You didn't use to have evening cricket matches but Richmond is gridlocked for miles around when they have an evening 20/20 game and that was a far more conservative sport as far as change is concerned.

• Like 1

Really pleased that Eastbourne are going to continue. What I can't understand is how they are going to return to the Elite League the following season ? How is a year in the NL going to make enough money to return to the EL ?

This is really odd. Drop down 2 leagues then up 2 leagues the year after.

Something they don't like about the PL?

Maybe the EL won't exist next year? Perhaps it will be a version of the current PL, incorporating EL teams and then the NL?

I'm going to dig out my 1970's flared trousers and flowery shirt for the first meet...Shame I can't grow my hair to my shoulders again though!

are they the same ones you wore at the eagles v lakeside meeting a few weeks ago mike!
  • Like 1

I think it is a decent business decision by Eastbourne.

EL too expensive, PL not much cheaper with all the Northern tracks and too many tracks.

NL allows them to develop and use local talent and gives Kelsey Dugard a team place, they will have local derbies with Kent so all in all, sensible.

Good to see that Eastbourne have staying in the speedway world. Think it may be a better option for them to stay at EL level. Maybe the staying away from the EL for one year is that Bob is still in the hopes of getting a buyer interested in the track.

Really pleased that Eastbourne are going to continue. What I can't understand is how they are going to return to the Elite League the following season ? How is a year in the NL going to make enough money to return to the EL ?

Apparently there may be changes to the Elite League for 2016 and this could make it viable for Eastbourne again

Is Connor Duagard interested in riding? If so, a start of Brandon Freemantle, Connor and Kelsey Dugard may not be a bad thing at all.

Apparently there may be changes to the Elite League for 2016 and this could make it viable for Eastbourne again

Sounds like the general EL situation and problems are being kicked into the long grass! Just like the way politicians handle things!

Its probably not about that. its more the promoters working out the higher finances and maybe draft in more promoters and see how the crowds are.