British Speedway Forum

Odd one Matty Wether as he come in on a 3 and rode NL. So I dont get why he now suddenly needs a work permit. Or did Edinburgh and Wolves break the rules all them years ago?

But no, I don't think he's ever averaged 7. 6.XX a few times while scoring lots of bonus points though - he's got 8+ with bonus points a few times. And he did get 4 in the EL once.

As I have said somewhere on here. I tried to sign Matty for the Gems when he first came over( about 2002). I understood he was eligible for the CL, but had already signed for Wolves and I went elsewhere.

So you think it would be ok for a club to sign Ivan Mauger and Barry Briggs? :neutral: It should be all about a rider level NOW not at some point in the past.

were talking about modern day riders are we not Kozza had a average of over 7 when he finnished the last season he races here and will come back on that I don't see how a year out will make you less a rider than before just look what sam masters and Justin sedgeman achevied with a year out
  • Like 3

did matty wethers ever reach a 7 poibt average.

Yes, Matty started the 2011 season on a 7.04 average, and I'm sure it's been higher than that at points.

*2011 Scotwaste Monarchs' team so far: Kevin Wolbert (Germany) 7.96, Matthew Wethers (captain, Australia) 7.04, Andrew Tully (Scotland) 6.68, Ashley Morris (England) 3.00. Points remaining 17.82.*

EDIT: He started 2009 on a 7.30 average.

Edited by MonarchsMitchy

Yes, Matty started the 2011 season on a 7.04 average, and I'm sure it's been higher than that at points.

*2011 Scotwaste Monarchs' team so far: Kevin Wolbert (Germany) 7.96, Matthew Wethers (captain, Australia) 7.04, Andrew Tully (Scotland) 6.68, Ashley Morris (England) 3.00. Points remaining 17.82.*

What a year that was!!!!

• Like 1

What a year that was!!!!

For your good selves, yes it was!

Not quite as impressive as last year though.... :)

Edited by MonarchsMitchy

so if matty had a 7.30 average at some point (2009) surely he must fit the criteria for gaining a work permit. if not then all those riders who did not ride last year and didnt gain a 7.+ average may as put down their weapons and go home.. aussie and (a).. mericans. so looks like its all aver for the sub 7 men..

As far as Wethers goes, the 2010 season was the last time he averaged over seven, since then he has not achieved that figure so if the current rules were enforced he wouldn't have gained a visa for season 2012,13,14, not unless he went back to Australia and qualified through their state Championships.

its a good job i dont make the decisions lol

thats why i am making the point about fans saying that certain riders did achieve the average criteria, but not in 2014. its gonna be tough on some guys.

Edited by jenga

Such a positive post lol, No Justin S for Edinburgh then 6.99 : (

sure Justin qualifies with being in the the top 4 of state championship anyway and for someone to put 2 pts on there average after a year out is pretty good Edited by mac101

As far as Wethers goes, the 2010 season was the last time he averaged over seven, since then he has not achieved that figure so if the current rules were enforced he wouldn't have gained a visa for season 2012,13,14, not unless he went back to Australia and qualified through their state Championships.

Wrong.

Oops. Came on here thinking it was a Glasgow thread.My mistake.

• Like 7

A quick round up of the highlights from last night's Supporters club night (that resonated with me)

Gerry and Michael took to the mic to thank the previous promotion for keeping the club alive and enduring heavy losses over their tenure. Particular praise was singled out for Gordon Pairmen who had been great to deal with and had had the Tigers interests at heart from day one. The purchase was completed in the 29th of Dec so the work done since then has been huge.

New stand roofs.
Plumbing, drainage
Toilets, Catering, electrics, brand new PA (special thanks given to Ian Beattie for his assistance)
Brand new pits designed around comfort and convenience for the riders.
Concrete has been laid around end of home straight and first second bend to allow installation of new modular
welcome complex and bar, restaurant? area. Which is built and is being craned in next week.
Floodlight poles are up with lights delivered next week.
Back straight has had new walls built offering tiered viewing across the embankment.
Disabled access is a priority

New Fencing around the stadium

Items not ready for tapes up
Conversion of tote building into 3 hospitality units, awaiting planning permission
Club have bought land from council at the back of new pits area to allow construction of academy (presumably including training track) and 4-500 car park.

Brothers have spent £600k to date, club is clear of all debt.

Michael asked that the supporters bring a friend and he seemed excited about the academy and the chance to turn some of the local kids lives around. Loads of new sponsors coming on board partly because of the brothers clout but also because they buy into the rejuvanation story and prospects for the local youth.

Stewart D came on and ran through the team and his new role as stadium/team manager described as his dream job. Stewart was very funny as usual.

Next up were Aaron and surprise guest Dimitri - Usual rider chat, looking forward to new season hope to do well, increase average, beat Edinburgh etc no love lost for Havelock.

Jim MacGregor next up to summarise rule changes, was at the bar so only caught bits of this but apparenty the 'cant get off your bike rule at the tapes has been abandoned' (thankfully!) and Glasgow are going to have a 2 minute clock.

Richard L and Kozza rep (Mark Blacklock) were up next - My drinks was kicking in by this point but main point of interest was Kozzas visa, lot of effort and money spent on securing it, special immigration advisors have been employed and all being well visa should be forthcoming in next week or so. Kozza was then phoned and gave a brief chat about his problems and desperation to get over.

HOF presentation was made to Alan and Stewart with Gordon Pairmen statement (In South Africa).

Raffle, Auction and Close

Other Bits -

Tigers now own a bike to use on promotional stand

Michael Max back as centre green presenter

New mascot costume arriving.

CCTV fitted around stadium with alarms and 24 hour security

Overall

A great night as always, turn out was high largest I have seen for a supporters night, fans are excited and cant quite believe whats happening

#monthetigers

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 8

Sounds fantastic great speedway fans you deserve it,hopefully see some of you at our humble abode this season down here on plymouthB-)

• Like 1