British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Workington V Edinburgh (play-offs) 27/9/14 @ 7.00pm

Well done Edinburgh Now win the final top of league deserves to be champions. Now there are two dead matches to complete in the group play offs a waste of time

think the playoff should be either top 4 or. Maybe top 8 and knock out formula, eliminates dead rubbers.
  • Like 2

Well done Edinburgh Now win the final top of league deserves to be champions. Now there are two dead matches to complete in the group play offs a waste of time

And who's fault is that??

What team elected to play home and away one week against the same team then the other team the week after with every possibility that this scenario would happen? :blink:

Workington had no match last Saturday so why not give us the option of playing a match v E,boro/Berwick and split the matches up, Berwick shot their bolt and lost out so why didn't this seniority bollox get kicked into touch and E,boro, or Berwick for that matter, be made to play us therefore preserving, on paper at least, the possible chance of an upset and keep this group alive just that little bit longer and maintain some interest? :(

• Like 1

And who's fault is that??

What team elected to play home and away one week against the same team then the other team the week after with every possibility that this scenario would happen? :blink:

Workington had no match last Saturday so why not give us the option of playing a match v E,boro/Berwick and split the matches up, Berwick shot their bolt and lost out so why didn't this seniority bollox get kicked into touch and E,boro, or Berwick for that matter, be made to play us therefore preserving, on paper at least, the possible chance of an upset and keep this group alive just that little bit longer and maintain some interest? :(

It's done and dusted because Berwick and Workington lost home and away. It's as simple as that.

Causing an upset, keeping the group alive and maintaining interest would have been achieved by ether of them winning at least their home meetings, not by shuffling the fixtures. That's clutching at straws.

• Like 1

No he makes a good point if promoters were doing what their job is called they would have arranged it so that at least one of this weekend's fixtures was Berwick vs Workington and if it was a neutral organising they would have ensured that the team most likely to qualify were in the final match. The other group is the same although it may end up being an exciting shootout between Ipswich and Somerset. What should be money spinning play off matches are now worse than a meaningless end of season challenge match, it's not even as if the winner is given bronze medals.

Worked perfectly for the monarchs as they now have time to fit in the ko cup and league cup.

Lots of sports use 'seedings' to try and set up the 'perfect final' therefore speedway should look at doing the same...

• Like 1

Whilst I can see the benefits for the order of matches being set up to ensure they are more likely to mean sonething in this case you have to factor in that Edinburgh also need to fit in a LC final and KOCup semi tie.

Because of that it is right that their fixtures were scheduled as was.

It's done and dusted because Berwick and Workington lost home and away. It's as simple as that.

Causing an upset, keeping the group alive and maintaining interest would have been achieved by ether of them winning at least their home meetings, not by shuffling the fixtures. That's clutching at straws.

Personally I would exclude top two and let the other four teams fight for championship!!

My point is fella is that the group would still have "some" meaning to "every" team over the course of the event not dead and buried after one week, shuffling the fixtures "would" have prevented this happening, people can't moan about meaningless fixtures/money spinners for clubs etc and then have this practice as being acceptable?

Yes, Berwick/Comets have been pretty crap but at least we could have been crap a little bit longer and make Edinburgh wait for the inevitable!! ;)

No he makes a good point if promoters were doing what their job is called they would have arranged it so that at least one of this weekend's fixtures was Berwick vs Workington and if it was a neutral organising they would have ensured that the team most likely to qualify were in the final match. The other group is the same although it may end up being an exciting shootout between Ipswich and Somerset. What should be money spinning play off matches are now worse than a meaningless end of season challenge match, it's not even as if the winner is given bronze medals.

Worked perfectly for the monarchs as they now have time to fit in the ko cup and league cup.

Exactly, the whole point of a play off group, maintenance of interest for the paying public!! :t:

Whilst I can see the benefits for the order of matches being set up to ensure they are more likely to mean sonething in this case you have to factor in that Edinburgh also need to fit in a LC final and KOCup semi tie.

Because of that it is right that their fixtures were scheduled as was.

And that quote D says it all, it just takes us back to that same old argument about fixture planning and how we are in Sept/Oct and still not completed a competition from April and one from May!! ;)

Edited by Lord Lucan
  • Like 1

Totally agree. Personally I would want to see the LC finished by the end of June and the KOCup by the end of August.

Personally I would exclude top two and let the other four teams fight for championship!!

Top two to the semi's by right, then 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 winners to play the top two decided by league placing, winners to the final!! :t:

Totally agree. Personally I would want to see the LC finished by the end of June and the KOCup by the end of August.

Agreed. +1

How many turned up last night, I couldn't make it. Bad but expected result.

How many turned up last night, I couldn't make it. Bad but expected result.

Wasn't good, around 400 mark maybe a little bit more, grandstand was very thinly populated?

Wasn't good, around 400 mark maybe a little bit more, grandstand was very thinly populated?

Wasn't great, which is a shame I guess the comets fans didn't believe they could do it.

Still probably about double what will be for the league match if they run it

I am sure it used to be.

I am sure it used to be.

Too much importance now on getting league matches squeezed in before the play offs cut off, cup matches just get pushed to the side.

Workington staged 3 double headers in a row in an effort to get in the play offs, then after Edinburgh won their first three play off matches, Workington got a poor turn out last night, and I am sure it will be even worse in a fortnight against Berwick.

Was it worth it???