British Speedway Forum

Who do we go for as Captain next season? Hawkins was captain last year and seemed to do a pretty good job, so there is definitely a case for not taking it off him.

On the other hand, with all due respect to him, he looks the weak link in the 1-5 as his 5 point average was achieved riding at reserve practically all year so he's got a big season ahead to at least maintain that level if we're going to be successful.

Is there a case for giving the captaincy to someone else, and let Hawkins concentrate 100% on his own riding?

Danny King is our top man, number 1, and has plenty of experience now as a captain himself so for me I'd give Danny the captaincy and let Hawkins put all his efforts in to his own riding.

As for riding order, it's pretty common to go with your weakest rider at 2 so Hawkins at 2 partnering King?

Could be a decent partnership as both are good mates also.

Edited by CardinalSin

I think Hawkins raced far more aggressively in the number 2 than he did at reserve, I would also leave him as captain and let king concentrate on trying to score like a number 1

• Like 1

I think Hawkins raced far more aggressively in the number 2 than he did at reserve, I would also leave him as captain and let king concentrate on trying to score like a number 1

I agree Baldy, Ritchie a very good Captain too, much the best we've had TBH.

Who do we go for as Captain next season? Hawkins was captain last year and seemed to do a pretty good job, so there is definitely a case for not taking it off him.

On the other hand, with all due respect to him, he looks the weak link in the 1-5 as his 5 point average was achieved riding at reserve practically all year so he's got a big season ahead to at least maintain that level if we're going to be successful.

Is there a case for giving the captaincy to someone else, and let Hawkins concentrate 100% on his own riding?

Danny King is our top man, number 1, and has plenty of experience now as a captain himself so for me I'd give Danny the captaincy and let Hawkins put all his efforts in to his own riding.

As for riding order, it's pretty common to go with your weakest rider at 2 so Hawkins at 2 partnering King?

Could be a decent partnership as both are good mates also.

Agree, King as captain for me too.

I agree Baldy, Ritchie a very good Captain too, much the best we've had TBH.

I've always preferred to have your best rider who leads from the front, to be captain as long as he has good leadership qualities and Danny King has.

So another vote for King from me without hesitation.

Let's not forget King has already been Ipswich skipper in the past too, and I remember plenty thought he also was one of the best we've had.

It's between the two of them anyway and can't really go wrong with either.

King for me, Ritchie did well but a change would be good. Also fairly simple sort out with Hawkins 2, Camo 3 and Gino 4.

Both would do a great job, but just think it makes Hawkins ride that little bit better. If it's king happy with that also.

I think it helped Ritchie being captain and would stick with him.

I dont think either would be upset at the other getting the job - they get on quite well!

Ritchie at 2 for me to start with and Nico at 6 to put him in 14 rather than 8.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

The riders themselves may have a say also. Hawkins had already made the decision to stop spannering for King next season way before he signed for us as he wanted to fully concentrate on his racing.

He may have the same feelings about the captaincy who knows.

I have said King would be my choice, and he would be all things being equal.

But Hawkins had the job this season and if he wanted to hold on to it, then perhaps it's best to keep him happy and let him continue.

Not as if he did a bad job of it and if he thrives on the extra responsibility and it gets that little bit more out of him then all well and good.

Doesn't the lowest average rider have to go at 7?

I always thought it was just the lowest two averaged riders have to be at reserve, but you could have them in any order you like.

Could be wrong though as things seem to change constantly in this sport!

I thought the rules these days where highest at 1 lowest a 7 next lowest at 6 then anyone anywhere.I could easily be wrong, I normally am