British Speedway Forum
rustyre bel1

Somerset V Ipswich Fri 10th Oct

Well done Somerset and all the best in the final.

Surprised no comments from Gavin, but he may be too busy on the Poole section of the forum.

Don't take offence Gavin just having a bit of fun. Well played Ipswich for getting so close.

As The Special One pointed out, the group went entirely to form.

The Witches good, but destined to be not quite good enough.

Will Edinburgh be at Foxhall on Thursday? Or will it be a hastily arranged 16-Lapper?

Edinburgh will be at foxhall on thursday with the second leg on the friday

Bit presumptuous as the Newcastle leg has yet to be run on Sunday, so Ipswich's opponents in the Final has yet to be decided.

Bit presumptuous as the Newcastle leg has yet to be run on Sunday, so Ipswich's opponents in the Final has yet to be decided.

okay if we qualify

Have to say, a top effort from Ipswich. They were definitely up for this and despite their poor scores, both Tungate and Heeps battled really well. Richie Worrall led the way with a couple of fine wins during the early stages, backed up by a fighting display from skipper Richie Hawkins.

The Witches faded after heat 8, but gave the Rebels a scare for sure. It took a mid match team meeting to kick start the Rebels, who really upped the gas for the remainder of the meeting.

Once again, a super meeting with plenty of passing. Olly Allen and Todd Kurtz were in brilliant form and credit must go to the Rebels who turned this around soon after losing Aspgren in a frightening looking fall in heat 5.

Excellent atmosphere tonight and a decent size crowd. Should be a couple of cracking meetings against the Monarchs.

I thought this was a very good meeting. One of the largest crowds I've seen for a league match at the Oak Tree too. The Witches certainly looked up for it, particularly in the early heats, they rode with some aggression and gated well. Again Worrall scored well, but he really is awful when he misses the gate. Tbh I think the reserves did about what Gino would have done (hope he's ok). The turning point was the Rebels heat win against the tactical ride in heat 12, if the Witches had got something there it was squeaky bum time for the home side, alas it wasn't to be...and the usual trend of a Rebels late surge continued. Whether they can do that against Edinburgh is debatable, they will need to win comfortably at home to have any chance against the Monarchs. Its game on.

Given the score at Emerdale last night, that's a splendid LOL from me :)

For the sake of the PL it's good to see the top two performing teams are in the Play-Off Final. Really don't care who wins.

Edited by Had Enough Too

Why do Edinburgh get the 2nd leg?

As The Special One pointed out, the group went entirely to form.

You're not going to start talking to yourself again, are you? :wink:

But suffice to say, Somerset completely deserved to win the group.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

being honest they wont . Worrall, Tungate, Risager all what i would class white line riders. Gino, Heeps and Hawkins will try but still cant see anything but a thumping 55-35

wasnt exactly far out on my prediction.

Not a track that suits our boys

We never seem to get the second leg of anything, why is that?

not sure if its by choice. It could be that the thought is to build a lead to defend and put pressure on the opposition.

Could just be logistics of dates and race nights.

Newcastle are gonna struggle to promote the 2nd leg of the semi - imagine that from the angle of the final on a cold wet end of October night and being 20+ points down from a first leg away.

Popped along last night for my first bit of p l racing for 3 yrs.

Ipswitch dogged it in really, after 7 races they got in a great position and just got steamrollered after. The home side were rattled but smashed ippo to bits from half way with Kurtz and c wright being involved in most of the damage.

Ipswitch tried hard esp Hawkins, risager was total crap mind , Worral awful when he didn't lead , heeps was a bit unlucky.

Enjoyable match and big crowd

The group ended up exactly as the 3 teams had performed against each other in the original PL matches , 7pts , 6pts and 5pts . 6 home wins with the Rebels doing better than the Witches against Scunny . Exactly to form and my original prediction on another thread .

Looking at the previous PL scores for the final it could well be very close .

Well done to Somerset , the right two teams have definitely made the final .